Jobs for ppl with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jobs for ppl with MS

I’m currently unemployed just staying afloat with a good delivery gig to cover my bills for now, it’s peanuts but I’m about to be in school in sept. 2019. I could really use a career where I can support myself but not sure which ones I would fit with.

l be enrolled in community justice studies and the occupations I can specialize in are as follows:

Correctional peace officer
    Correctional service worker
    Probation officer
    Community corrections officer
    Sheriff
    Reintegration worker
    Remand/attendance centre worker
    Police officer
    RCMP officer
    Bylaw enforcement officer
    Commercial vehicle enforcement officer
    Calgary Transit Peace officer
    Youth group home worker
    Community support youth worker
    Young offender centre worker
    Youth attendance centre worker
    Youth reintegration worker
    Youth assessment centre worker
    Not-for-profit youth services worker
    Aboriginal youth worker
    Youth recreational programming worker
    And also disability studies.

im pretty much early in my dx and sx free just can’t do what I used to (uncomfortable on scaffolding) in construction at heightss.

just thinking about my future career and wondering welcome any opinions.

much appreciated

If the researchers are telling us the truth, and you’re on a good treatment, you may well be able to do any job you want into old age. I’m 57 and still work a full-time desk job that I love. Hoping to work until 70. #StretchGoal

Comment

People with MS do all kinds of jobs. Don't limit yourself. Don't let it define you.
      The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Some of those jobs have a high burn out rate. I´d look for ones that have good compensation while allowing you to make a difference in the lives of others. It´s finding the balance between helping others and making sure your own soul remains intact. Is there a difference in the benefits that they offer or the number of years prior to retirement? Do any allow flex time that lets you work from home some of the time? You are wise to be going back to school to plan for this career change. Bravo.

Comment

Hi Ant~ that's quite a list of potential occupations. I think once you get into the various courses during your school experience, you may be drawn to a particular field based on your interests. Temagami's suggestions are exceptionally valid with a focus on keeping your soul intact, JMO.

Good luck to you!
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

This is a terrific subject! Bravo to those who can still work at any job they want. Work as long as you can and save as much money as you can.

My personal experience and observation of the situation of others is that most of us don’t have as many options. I was unable to work long before I even suspected I had MS. MS friends with wonderful careers have found themselves suddenly unable to continue.

I think it would be really valuable to sort out what limitations take us out of the workforce and find groups of jobs we might still be able to do. Fatigue is my most limiting symptom. I am also not able to sit up for more than 10 minutes. My hand tremors make it nearly impossible to carry out many simple tasks.But my intellect is better than ever.

Some people have a gift for business and can start their own entrepreneurship. I was not raised learning those kinds of skills and would find it difficult put it together. Some can write books. Some invent a new widget.

If anyone has training in sorting out our strengths and turning them into careers I would really like to hear from from you.

Comment

Open job choices

I have such minimal symptoms and had a quick dx and fast treatment of tecfidera which got me stabilized. My neuro has very good prognosis for me and said I can choose any job besides driving (RCMP, police officer) even tho I can drive fine right now. So I’m very excited to possibly pursue a career as a probation officer, correctional peace officer or reintegration worker.

Comment

Before I was diagnosed with MS I worked in the IT department with a major baking company. After I had been there just over a year after my diagnosis the management changed so I had a new direct boss. The new boss did not show me the respect of an analyst. I found out that I had barely been trained on my job as well.
                I had to learn stuff that I had not been shown. She touted everybody being fully trained on everything. I did everything I could. She quit allowing me the training that everyone else was getting since I was not one of her pets. I had to train myself on some of the things I had to do as they added new responsibilities to my position. One thing they started in my position I received an email from her with the directions on what it entailed. I already had too much to do and I had to read, learn, and understand what I had to do "on the fly."
                I kept doing that and eventually they took what I had been doing by myself so that four people were doing it. I started doing just one of those things which was still full time work.
                I had been diagnosed with MS and then did a sleep study and diagnosed with sleep apnea.
                I began falling asleep at my desk. They eventually let me go due to it.
                I saw my PCP the week I was fired and he diagnosed me as having narcolepsy.
                The HR Director who told me to let him know if I got my sleep issues resolved to see about coming back gave me the run around and I was never able to come back. And this was after I had been on the job over ten years.

Comment

I'm sorry I wasn't clear about the job I had over ten years. I had been there just over a year when I got my diagnosis. Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant1981 View Post
                    I have such minimal symptoms and had a quick dx and fast treatment of tecfidera which got me stabilized. My neuro has very good prognosis for me and said I can choose any job besides driving (RCMP, police officer) even tho I can drive fine right now. So I’m very excited to possibly pursue a career as a probation officer, correctional peace officer or reintegration worker.
                    Just curious... why did your neuro say not to pick something with driving? I hope whatever you decide to pursue works out and you find something you love.

Comment

career

Originally posted by Daisycat View Post
                      Just curious... why did your neuro say not to pick something with driving? I hope whatever you decide to pursue works out and you find something you love.
                      im thinking he said that if possibly my optic nerve get affected driving jobs might not be the best.

I dont one want to be a police officer anyways. I’m not %100 recovered I do have small residual effects from my flair albeit very... very insignificant

Comment

im thinking he said that if possibly my optic nerve get affected driving jobs might not be the best.

I dont one want to be a police officer anyways. I’m not %100 recovered I do have small residual effects from my flair albeit very... very insignificant

That makes sense. I just wasn’t sure if he meant driving in general was bad or driving as a career. There’s definitely a difference in the two.

I don’t think I could be a cop. The stupid stuff people do would just drive me insane. I’m sure you’ll find your dream career. Probation officer was something I considered a long time ago but life happened.

Comment

Don’t want MS to get in the way

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                          People with MS do all kinds of jobs. Don't limit yourself. Don't let it define you.

Although i completely agree with that, a part of me is unsure.

im looking to correctional officer leading to probation officer with 1-2 years experience in the first.

i feel physically capable right now but im not sure it’s the right choice.. I mean it’s a decent salary with a gvmnt pension and benefits but still apprehensive about it all the time.

I’m gonna go in with full confidence and do my part in workouts/cardio/weightlifting and diet + stress management it’s just such a tough call until the 1year mark into my studies and gauge how I feel then, likely as I am today. Then I’ll be 3 years after after dx and still stable I’ll feel better about it. So I guess I’ll go for it but the correctional officer commitment won’t have to be truly decided till 2020... my MS is so quiet after sept 2017 dx it’s seems like it will never return until it does.. or maybe not I have no idea and overthinking it doesn’t help just go for it but at least a transition into probation after 3.5 years or so can offer a less physically demanding job.

hmmm a decision that will form the rest of my life.. it’s hard making the right choice cause there really isn’t a perfect one.

Comment

Although i completely agree with that, a part of me is unsure.

im looking to correctional officer leading to probation officer with 1-2 years experience in the first.

i feel physically capable right now but im not sure it’s the right choice.. I mean it’s a decent salary with a gvmnt pension and benefits but still apprehensive about it all the time.

I’m gonna go in with full confidence and do my part in workouts/cardio/weightlifting and diet + stress management it’s just such a tough call until the 1year mark into my studies and gauge how I feel then, likely as I am today. Then I’ll be 3 years after after dx and still stable I’ll feel better about it. So I guess I’ll go for it but the correctional officer commitment won’t have to be truly decided till 2020... my MS is so quiet after sept 2017 dx it’s seems like it will never return until it does.. or maybe not I have no idea and overthinking it doesn’t help just go for it but at least a transition into probation after 3.5 years or so can offer a less physically demanding job.

hmmm a decision that will form the rest of my life.. it’s hard making the right choice cause there really isn’t a perfect one.

I say do what ever you think will make you happy. You are doing everything you can and just because we were unlucky enough to be "cursed" with this doesn't mean you do not deserve a good job. A job with amazing benefits is something that is always a good thing. If it wasn't for the fact that I can't go without insurance for a few months I would consider looking into something at a speciatly referall surgery clinic since that would be my dream job....

But thats for another life I guess... But I would say for you since you are still in school you should do whatever you think will make you the happiest.

Also I noticed you said earlier you are doing some delivery stuff to make extra money. What platform are you using if you don;t mind me asking? I've been doing that since I am kind of broke... so just seeing if there is anything else I am missing.

Comment

career

But I would say for you since you are still in school you should do whatever you think will make you the happiest.
                              -Thanks for the reply Daisy.
                              -Too me a correctional officer is a super exciting career to me and so fulfilling and satisfying would make me so happy being under successful MS treatment and my functions pretty much restored (running stairs and jumping, all of it ), still improving with workouts and being active I am sure I can pass the physical assessments i watched the COPAT (Correctional Officer Physical Assessment Test) video and its very basic stuff. I'm very athletic my whole life and still am thankfully

so I noticed you said earlier you are doing some delivery stuff to make extra money. What platform are you using if you don;t mind me asking? I've been doing that since I am kind of broke... so just seeing if there is anything else I am missing.[/QUOTE]
                              -Im delivering for "skip the dishes" they should be an american equivalent i the states tho its in some american cities right now. I got a new ford focus that is fuel efficient and know the peak times and areas so i can do about $2000 monthly which got me through this winter and still going strong. Lots of hours tho to make $100-$150 canadian daily but thats all I got for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X