Incontinence Products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incontinence Products

I hate this new MS symptom, but am trying to handle it with stride. I have used Depends, Always, Poise which have "caught" the problems in most cases. Here's my question -- the Depends fit well and absorb a lot. The problem is when the bowels let go, it makes a huge mess trying to get all my clothes off to remove the mess. Also where do you put the mess when you're through??

These are questions no 60 year old should have to answer.

It seems like a product that can release on the sides (more like a diaper) would help with this problem, but they all seem so bulky and will show in clothes.

Has anyone found a product that works really well for these horrid times?

For anyone that has had incontinence problems for a long time -- do they come and go or once you have this symptom does it stay?

Incontinence products

Hello, Grammy2many. So sorry for your problems. MS is very challenging at times. What is most needed is an understanding, knowledgeable sales person. I've found comfort in HDIS.com (home delivery incontinent supplies), call them, they'll help.
    Underwear styles have rip away sides very easy.
    In my SPMS incontinence just progressed. Wore diapers for over 10 years. These people gave me excellent solutions. Never suffered any skin breakdown. Keep a level head and good luck to you.

Comment

INCONTINENCE

77 YEARS AND WEARING POISE PADS HEAVIEST ALL THE TIME AFTER 37 YEARS OF MS. BUT SOMETIMES STILL NOT ENOUGH AND I END UP WET. WHAT IS NEXT STEP, PLEASE???

Comment

Originally posted by annintexas View Post
        77 YEARS AND WEARING POISE PADS HEAVIEST ALL THE TIME AFTER 37 YEARS OF MS. BUT SOMETIMES STILL NOT ENOUGH AND I END UP WET. WHAT IS NEXT STEP, PLEASE???
        Have you ever tried wearing the Poise pad along with Depends? Maybe wearing the two together will help. (It was useful when I had this problem with urinary incontinence)

Good luck
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I've read about a product from Icon "pee-proof underwear that keeps you dry and odor-free from light leaks". With incontinence problems, it would likely need to be used in combination with other products. And, I believe they are fairly expensive. I haven't tried them, but I've considered them. Sometimes, I have light leaks and I don't want to always wear pads to "catch" them.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Secretive and Confidential Symptom Rood

Hi everyone and thanks for being here. My problem is urinary frequency; fortunately not incontinence (yet). I wake up 4 - 5 times every night and am fortunately better during the day. I am under the care of a urologist and have tried all the current oral medications out there for OAB to no avail. Still wake up every 2 hours no matter what. My urologist has suggested Botox which he states has had some proven results.

However, botox can lead to an opposite problem of being unable to urinate and the need to self catherize which I have been unable to do. I even went for training at the urologist office but couldn't seem to learn how to do it.

I guess I am asking if anyone has tried Botox or if there are any other suggestions. Have not gotten a good night's sleep in long time. Thanks for "listening".

Comment

Maxi- --

I don't have an answer to your question about Botox.

My solution for urinary frequency, at night is some supplements that you can get from a health food store or order online at amazon.com.

At first, it worked for me to take two Magnesium/Calcium supplements before bed every night (or whatever it says one serving size is). After a year or two, that no longer was very effective. So I added 2 tablets of Uva Ursi and now I take both. I used to be up once every two hours at night, and now I usually sleep 3 1/2 or 4 hours -- occasionally even 5 or 6 hours at a time.

I've tried Oxybutrin, but I needed 4 tablets per day and I didn't like the side effects. It was partially effective, but the supplements actually seem to work better for me than the rx med did.

I also don't drink many liquids after 7:00 pm.
              And, I drink no caffeine after 3:00 pm in the afternoon.

That combination, together with the supplements, has helped a LOT!
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by maxi View Post
                Hi everyone and thanks for being here. My problem is urinary frequency; fortunately not incontinence (yet). I wake up 4 - 5 times every night and am fortunately better during the day. I am under the care of a urologist and have tried all the current oral medications out there for OAB to no avail. Still wake up every 2 hours no matter what. My urologist has suggested Botox which he states has had some proven results.

However, botox can lead to an opposite problem of being unable to urinate and the need to self catherize which I have been unable to do. I even went for training at the urologist office but couldn't seem to learn how to do it.

I guess I am asking if anyone has tried Botox or if there are any other suggestions. Have not gotten a good night's sleep in long time. Thanks for "listening".
                I've had the same annoyance and the subsequent lack of sleep. My urologist has not suggested Botox yet and I'm not sure I'd try it myself.

I decided the only way I'd ever be able to have an afternoon of shopping...or a leisurely dinner...would be to self cath. It's daunting...but you can do it. And it will give you freedom during the day and most nights...a good nights sleep. A mirror can make it easier until you can do with without one. It just takes practice along with the desire to go to the bathroom less. I usually cath first thing in the morning, mid afternoon, early evening and again at bedtime. It's worked for me.

Good luck.

Comment

incontinence products

Thank for responding, ZSP. Appreciate it. I am anxious to try to learn how to self-cath just in case I need to any time. It would make me more comfortable knowing that I can do it should the situation arise. I do hear that it is a common side effect of having Botox and am afraid to try Botox without the ability to self-cath. Don't know why it seems to be so difficult for me. I have tried with a mirror also. I will be persistent and try again.

Thanks again.

Maxi

Comment

Incontinence

Originally posted by grammy2many View Post
                    I hate this new MS symptom, but am trying to handle it with stride. I have used Depends, Always, Poise which have "caught" the problems in most cases. Here's my question -- the Depends fit well and absorb a lot. The problem is when the bowels let go, it makes a huge mess trying to get all my clothes off to remove the mess. Also where do you put the mess when you're through??

These are questions no 60 year old should have to answer.

It seems like a product that can release on the sides (more like a diaper) would help with this problem, but they all seem so bulky and will show in clothes.

Has anyone found a product that works really well for these horrid times?

For anyone that has had incontinence problems for a long time -- do they come and go or once you have this symptom does it stay?

I've been incontinent for about 4 years now and the best pads for me have been Tena overnight. My problem is that I always feel like I need to pee and so I don't realize it when I am so I not only go through 3 or 4 pairs of underwear day I have to take something to sleep at night and so I have to use bed pads and I still wake up soaking wet!
                    I really don't want to have to go to a catheter but I can't afford buying a bag of pads every week

Comment

Two

Hi, I'm 72 & have found with two Tena pads one nighttime with one of their heaviest together help me when I'm not going to make it to the bath. I hate to use public bathrooms so try to wait until I'm at home. The two pads together work well.
                      We also put in bidets in our bathrooms. They were easy to install as they fit with a regular toilet.
                      I too hate this side of MS it makes life so confining but with planning it seems to work.
                      I just wish I could find an answer for being tired all the time. I wish you all the best.
                      A smart person will always catch on, a wise person knows when to let go.

Comment

The price of Tena

Originally posted by 1HAPILADY View Post
                        I've been incontinent for about 4 years now and the best pads for me have been Tena overnight. My problem is that I always feel like I need to pee and so I don't realize it when I am so I not only go through 3 or 4 pairs of underwear day I have to take something to sleep at night and so I have to use bed pads and I still wake up soaking wet!
                        I really don't want to have to go to a catheter but I can't afford buying a bag of pads every week
                        I too use Tena but I must use one night & one day I look all over for there coupons as yes you right they are expensive. But if I don't stay dry I get other infections. I also hate the idea of catheter in fact I tired it for a short time & found I not only hated it but I got UTI'S so went back to the pads.
                        I wish you well.

Comment

I tried that too

Hi I'm 72 and tried Pose Pads also but then Tena & they are much better. If I'm going to be away from home for any length of time I use the overnight & a daytime crossed on it.
                          This seems to help me a lot.
                          I wish you the best.

Comment

I'm a member of the club

So, I have been really down lately. I am 57 and I have been experiencing bowel incontinence. I am still working (which makes this even harder) I also have no control over flatulence. I wish I would just not wake up one morning, then there would be no more dealing with this. I'm sorry , I don't mean to depress any of you. I feel so alone and embarrassed.
                            And even though the moment passed me by I still can't turn away
                            'Cause all the dreams you never thought you'd lose
                            Got tossed along the way

Comment

Hi GooGoogirl,
                              This would have to be one of the hardest things to deal with. So sorry.
                              I hope you find comfort in sharing.
                              There are many here who can empathise and offer practical advice if needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X