What about the music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about the music?

Hi all. I am a huge music fan and I love nothing more then listening to new-to-me music. So if anyone is interested, I would like to learn about the music you enjoy, such as genre, artist, time period.... I listen to everything!! I am always looking to expand my knowledge and my music collection, so please share!!!!! Looking forward to hearing from you!!!!!!!

Jenniferautumn

Music

Hello,

I also love music. Any kind. But my absolute favorite is Led Zeppelin. I can listen all day long to them. Next would be classical. Mozart is my fav in that category. Today's music is ok. I don't really care for all the cursing and stuff but if it has a good beat I will listen. It is good to know that other people like music the way I do. I have lived with someone who couldn't care less about it for 24 years!

Comment

thanks for the music post

I love music, too, celms. And jenniferautumn, you bring back great memories, I listened to Led Zeppelin with my brother all the time (>30 years ago). In my youth I also liked The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, and Carly Simon. Have you ever listened to Simon and Garfunkel's "At the Zoo"? I think it's delightful.

Recently I'm enjoying 20th century American composers, esp. Gershwin and Copeland. Got to hear a Canadian pianist, Alain LeFevre, play Gershwin's Concerto in F this summer. It was incredible. Very moving.

Thanks for the post, celms, I hope we hear more.

Comment

well

i have to have music in my life, I played violin for 24 years and was a singer in a band. I love getting the Led out too! Recently I have become a fan of Rockabilly, I even went to a car show. Classical is in my blood and I am slowly developing a real taste for country. I was raised by a couple of hippies so the music from the 50's 60's and 70's is my great love. I can do without all the "bad boy" rapping and the teenage whiny girls. some of the bands I am hooked on now are:

The Black Crowes
        Patty Griffin
        Damion Rice
        Government Mule
        The Defibulators - super great band, not sure what kind of music to call it though.
        Chuck Barry
        Buddy Guy
        Ray Charles

That pretty much sums up this weeks music picks. There are a very few things in life I need to survive, top of my list is music. Thanks for sharing and I hope people continue to share, hey sometimes it's good to have something in common besides this stupid disease!

Comment

My music

What I like depends on the day.
          If I want soothing, I have Clannad, Loreena McKennit, and other various Celtic compilations. If I want it livelier, but still in the same genre, I have Natalie McMaster, The Chieftains, Cherish the Ladies, and other compilations.

If I really want a good wakeup, classic rock of just about any kind, Evanescence, Within Temptation, Scorpions.

Sometimes I go for the 90's Techno dance music.

I have some 80's compilations for memories (good old high school)

I like Country too when to mood strikes me. I used to two-step nearly every night when I was at Fort Bragg.

Basically, I have a lot of different kinds of music on my trusty iPod!

Lately, I've been hooked on Loreena McKennitt's version of "the two trees". It is W.B. Yeats poem put to music with a bagpipe intro. An amazing poem to an exquisite melody. When I get in moods like that, I put it on repeat in the car.

Comment

I'm more into classical music (MC5, Velvet Underground, Neil, Zappa/Beefheart, GD, NRPS, Iggy, Hot Tuna, 70-80's punk, DEVO, REM, etc.).
            There's tons of it on you tube.

Comment

lets re-live some memories

Has anyone ever been to a really great concert? There always seems to be a story behind a concert.

MY TOM PETTY STORY- I went to the last viewing of the documentary "Runnin down a dream" at a theater in brooklyn. I thought that it would be sold out and I wouldn't be able to get in. Turns out there was only one other person in the WHOLE theater. Well a radio station was there to give away tickets to his concert. And I won!! FRONT ROW TICKETS. I have never sat closer then the nose bleed section of any concert. I took my dad. We were literally 4 feet away from Tom. I got great pictures and it was the most memorable concert ever!!!

If you have a story please share! Also, I am trying to expand my music collection so if there are any bands that you enjoy listening to, please pass it on so I and other posters can check them out.

Thanks to those that posted! I am checking out all of it!

The MS monster will not take my passion for music!!!

Comment

What I'm Currently Listening To...

I listen all across the board. Of course, there are the old things that I love (as mentioned before, Velvet Underground, early Iggy Pop, that late-70's New York sound...*sigh*), but as far as current things go (and again, this is really ACROSS THE BOARD):

For emotive song-writing, with depth, and not whiny, I listen to a band from Long Island called BRAND NEW...their 2006 album 'The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me' is absolutely transcendent. If I were a songwriter, I could have written it.
                Their recent follow-up 'Daisy' also has some haunting, yet rocking, tracks.

When I need to hear a female vocalist sing beautifully, I listen to (respectively, and in order) METRIC (out of Canada...Emily Haines is one of those strange people born with both perfect pitch and perfect tone...the things that she does with that voice!), REGINA SPEKTOR, and IMOGEN HEAP. INGRID MICHAELSON comes in at fourth. This is probably due to fairly early exposure to Tori Amos and Patti Smith.

There are others...relaxing club-like sounds I get from 'The XX', catchy pop-tunes I get from 'The Republic Tigers'...

...it's interesting how tech has changed how we listen to things: Most of this is from my friends or internet referrants, and absolutely NONE of it is from broadcast radio. I haven't listened to the radio in forever.

Anyhow, keep writing, everyone...I'm always up for new stuff!

Comment

Alternative

I am getting to know alternative music again. I listened to it in the late 80s and early 90s, but then I moved to places that had no alternative station. Now I go to Kansas City once a month and they have a great station. In addition, I just got a laptop, so I can listen even at home by visiting the 'Church of Lazlo' website and streaming it live.

Some great bands I've discovered and rediscovered, each followed by one of my favorite songs:

Cake Going the Distance
                  Audioslave Like a Stone
                  The Offspring Low Self Esteem
                  The Crash Kings Mountain Man
                  Death Cab for Cutie Grapevine Fires
                  Alice in Chains Man in the Box
                  Pearl Jam Just Breathe
                  Red Hot Chili Peppers Hey-Oh
                  Portia

Comment

Oh WOW!!! Gotta have music...it can take you anywhere. My list is all over the place but here are a few:

Pink Floyd
                    David Gilmour
                    Lynyrd Skynyrd
                    The Allman Brothers Band
                    Warren Haynes
                    Govt. Mule
                    Guy Clark
                    John Prine
                    Eva Cassidy
                    Vince Gill
                    The Three Tenors
                    I could go on forever....Great Post

Comment

Ah... what a refreshing post. While I love to read, music will always and forever be my passion. I grew up playing multiple instruments but I'll always remember my mom playing Carol King on the piano and just sitting next to her singing along.

All Time Favorites:
                      Carol King
                      The Beatles
                      The Who
                      Jimi Hendrix
                      Ani DiFranco
                      Sara Mclachlan
                      Alice In Chains (Don't Follow is one of my favs)
                      Days of the New (if you haven't heard Dirty Road, check it out)
                      Jack Johnson
                      Mad Season (River of Deceit)
                      Sublime
                      Grateful Dead
                      Alanis Morissette
                      Tantric (Breakdown is a great one)

There are so many more it would take forever to post. On occasion i will listen to classical or contempary. I'm really into country right now. If this was facebook I would totally "like" this post. lol

Comment

=w=

Nobody beat Weezer. I connect with them on a deep level. They always bring me up when I'm down or get me dancing.

Comment

music lover

jenniferautumn, I also am a huge fan. I like everything;

from 70's rock to radiohead ( love their sound).

Back at you, hugs, angel
                          livelover

Comment

Fun Post

I am looking forward to looking up some of the names I don't recognize.

Some of my favorites are:

Depeche Mode
                            The The
                            James
                            Black Keys
                            Airborne Toxic Event
                            The Judybats
                            Ben Folds
                            Motley Crue
                            Ella Fitzgerald
                            Nina simone

and so many more!!

Comment

Just a reminder, Neil and Crazy Horse have a new album coming out on June 4th or 5th called Americana.

"Oh Susanna" is already posted on Youtube and from what I've read Americana is going to be some kind of fusion between american folk songs and ..... Crazy Horse.
                              Plus a children's choir.

They might be old but they are still loud.

Comment

Working...
                              X