Avonex pen - button becoming too hard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avonex pen - button becoming too hard

I remember back in 2013 some people complained the button was too difficult to push on the Avonex pen. I never really had an issue. Until recently.

Within probably the past 7 months or so, it takes me a good 30-40 minutes to get the darn button to push down. Once in awhile I will get one that will inject right away. I never had an issue before. From day one, taking the injection was easy. Now I suffer 40 minutes of anxiety because the longer it takes the higher my anxiety grows & then the frustration.

I know I am doing it right, the same way I always have. It's pushed down to release the lock, my skin and thumb actually begin to hurt over time from trying to get it to work. Sometimes the button will sort of half go down & then stops & then it will take awhile more to get the rest of it to go down.

I had one pen malfunction completely. It actually shot the injection out while I was holding it in my hand & the lock wasn't release. Shot the medication across the room. Biogen sent me a replacement.

Each new shipment, I keep hoping will be a new lot # and easier but it just seems like they are all difficult now. I am wondering if they are purposely making them this way now.

I am a needle phobe and can't switch to the regular syringe. I don't get side effects from Avonex so I hate to switch but I am seriously thinking of switching to the oral pill but scared of the side effects.

Has anyone else been experiencing this?
    Diagnosed: May 2012
    Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
    Plegridy - starting 12/14

I also feel like it's harder to push at times and it causes me to jerk it back a bit and then I get a lump. Maybe you should contact avonex. I do well with the avonex as well but I'm also considering switching to tecidera. Just afraid of those stomach side effects. I'm also getting weird skin indentations from the avonex pen on my thighs which is not attractive

Comment

Yes, I am worried about the GI issues as well. It's the only thing making me hesitate but I am going to speak to my Dr at my next appt.

That's what I hate about it being hard to push, when it finally does snap, I jump. When it's easy to push, I don't. I have twice messed up injections because of it & they were both recent. I've been using the pen for 2 years with no issues until now so I know it's different then it used to be.

I can't imagine people with MS who just don't have the strength to push a button that hard. It's frustrating because this pen was a blessing, no anxiety, easy to use, no needle issues and now I feel like all I have is anxiety trying to get it to work right.

Comment

I also had problems with the Avonex pen. It was way too hard to push. My right hand is weak and that didn't help. I'm actually switching to Gilenya soon or else I would have to have reconsidered the pen. I thought the Copaxone pen was very easy to use. I also had a lot of anxiety caused by the pen difficulty. Not fun.

Comment

I've been on Avonex for close to two years. It wasn't until the last two injections when I realized the button was too hard to push. I'm glad you mentioned this because I thought my strength was getting much more weaker. I too will be switching to Gilenya soon because Avonex is not working too well for me. But in the meantime I still want to be as comfortable as possible when I inject.
          Take good care!
          "Irrespective of what happened yesterday or last year, and what may or may not happen tomorrow, the present moment is where you are-always!"
          Richard Carlson, PH.D.

Comment

I spoke to my Dr today about it. He called the pharmacy while I was in the room & the pharmacist said he would call Biogen and then conference me in on the call later today. I have a feeling it will be a waste of time.

The Dr didn't really want to switch me to anything else since I am doing well on Avonex. However, he did say Biogen is close to getting approval on a new drug that is basically the same as Avonex but it would be a sub injection & only twice a month. I told him I would be willing to hold out for that. Hopefully it does get approval later this year!

Comment

recycled pens?

I have noticed this also in the past year! Sometimes took almost 30 seconds to get it to finally release and inject -- but not always. This batch has seemed better for some reason.

I had a thought about a possible reason: About a year ago I was entered into a program through Biogen that recycles the pens. I save them up and send them back postage paid and I don't have to dispose of them myself. I am wondering if using and reusing the pens makes the buttons stiffen up.

A technique I have begun to use that seems to help is: once I've attached the needle and extended the pen, I jiggle the two parts of the pen up and down (without touching the button) and I'm not sure if it helps, but it seems that the button is not as "sticky" when I do that. I've thought about calling Biogen but so far haven't.

Comment

Grumpy!

Westgrl I am right there with you!

I've been so grumpy lately. It's been a long time since I've posted and I figured it was time for me to come back. I was so happy to find this post. Last week my injection, or lack there of, brought me to tears.

Luckily I had been completely symptom free for months, however over the last 2 months my fatigue and other symptoms have really got me down.

To top this all off the PEN has been driving me crazy. I forget how long ago I posted that I was having a hard time with the pen. Maybe over a year ago. I kept sucking it up though. I finally contacted Biogen and they sent out a nurse to review using the pen. Of course that one went fine. She suggested if I have a hard time getting the safety to release to try and use one hand to hold the pen together more, so I would have to push less hard on my leg, and then push directly down on the centre of the pen.

I sucked it up for a while longer, but doing the shot has gone from 10 minutes of my life to 30 or 40 minutes of anxiety like you've described. I use to be able to leave on my 30 minute lunch break at work on Fridays, do the shot in the bathroom and go to lunch.

It's now gotten to the point where I will push it so hard the safety will click nothing happens and I end up taking it off my leg, waiting 5 minutes for the mark to go away and then putting the pen back on and pushing really hard to get the final click.

If this is because they are reusing pens, it really upsets me. I know when I first started it was really easy to push the button have a small click and then the injection. It was so easy and I was so relieved, not having to stab myself.

The last two times I had to get my husband to come in and push the button for me after 30 minutes of struggling. I haven't been able to take my shot to work in over 3 months. It wasn't even easy for him to push the button and I was holding the pen! We pay more than enough for these pens, they should work well.

I was considering switching to Rebif because it's a computerized auto-injector but I don't want to have to manage symptoms every couple of days. I have pretty much everything from Avonex under control. Except I am wondering now if I am having a relapse and need to try something new ( although I think my problems are brought on by being plagued with viruses from my 4 year old it's been a rough couple of months).

Basically I don't want to switch drugs unless I have to, but I am fed up with the pen not co-operating. I would go back to the needles but I would want someone else to inject them for me. At this time having myself or someone else use the pen actually hurts because they have to push it so hard into my leg to get it to click it's crazy.

Sorry to be so grumpy (I warned you all =))

I'm glad I'm not the only one though. I guess we all just need to hang in there and hope the next box is easier.

Thanks for listening.

Comment

I have been following this and am wondering if sending used pens are indeed causing the problem. I was on Avonex and did injections manually, but then switched to Copaxone, used the pen and only had a problem with it sticking once. I called and they sent me a new pen with no problems afterwards. This was years ago.

CNDGirl and others - I think what I'd do is call Biogen and demand a NEW pen! It seems ridiculous that someone should suffer anxiety over pens! MS is difficult enough!

Another option is to inject manually. Lots of folks here have switched with good results.

I hope you see better days ahead. You can be grumpy all you want here - this is a safe place to get it out!!
                  1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                  Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Seasha - I think maybe the Avonex pen is different. Each injection is its own pen with the medication prefilled inside of it. So, they can't just send a new pen.

Comment

Also having trouble with the button lately. Its frustrating because it was so simple in the beginning. Now it takes s few times and u never know when it will go, its hard enough having to do this every week now its even harder. Does anyone use the pre filled syringes anymore? Maybe thats better

Comment

I have always had problems with the Avonex pen, so my husband has given me the injections the last two years. He even has trouble pushing the button sometimes. (Which makes me feel not so bad that I can't do it myself.)

Never thought of complaining about it to mfgr. I'll stick it out a little longer as I might be switching to Plegridy.

Comment

Wookieland. I was getting indentations on my thighs with the pen too. I received a new teaching session from an ms nurse. It transpires that I was pulling the pen out too quickly, and not counting the correct number of seconds before withdrawing the needle. Some of the drug was going under the skin rather than in the muscle. This was causing the problem but I find it very difficult to stay long with the needle in my leg!

Comment

I'm done! This newest shipment I got is worse than any of the other ones. I push as hard as I can, even using 2 thumbs and nothing. I have to go through this for sometimes an hour before it finally will inject. My thumb & thigh will hurt from the pressure, my anxiety & stress levels through the roof & I know I am doing it correctly. I even try not pressing as hard in case that's the problem but nope.

It definitely was not like this the first year I was using the pen. It was a breeze the first year. 5 minutes and done with no stress or issues.

I refuse to deal with it anymore. Hoping Plegridy is available soon.

Comment

Plegridy is out and available right now! I know you were waiting for it. MS Active source called to see how my avonex was working last week, when I told her I was "failing" and looking towards plegridy she told me to call my doctor and we could fill out the start form and get started on the process. My Dr office is mailing me out the start form to fill out and sign. Good Luck.
                              Sos219
                              4/24/2014
                              Avonex

Gilenya 1/29/2015- present

Comment

Working...
                              X