7 year MS deadline for vets with MS Whne the clock starts?:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7 year MS deadline for vets with MS Whne the clock starts?:

I retired from the US Army reserve in 2014 after 25 years of service. (6 years of active duty) I was deployed twice, last one to Iraq in 2003/04. I was diagnosed with PP MS last year. I've bee reading MS is presumed to be service connected but you have 7 years to claim. I would like know if is 7 since I retired from service (army reserve) or since my last active duty assignment. If not, what are m options. I have lived a healthy life, don't drink, don't smoke and the more I think about my symptoms the more I realize the onset was after my deployment to Iraq. I didn't like going the dr., even less going to sick call or VA (as I though it would mean I was weak) but 2 years ago I couldn't deal with the symptoms so went on a journey resulting in the PPMS diagnose. Thnks in advance

Originally posted by intaglio View Post
    I retired from the US Army reserve in 2014 after 25 years of service. (6 years of active duty) I was deployed twice, last one to Iraq in 2003/04. I was diagnosed with PP MS last year. I've bee reading MS is presumed to be service connected but you have 7 years to claim. I would like know if is 7 since I retired from service (army reserve) or since my last active duty assignment. If not, what are m options. I have lived a healthy life, don't drink, don't smoke and the more I think about my symptoms the more I realize the onset was after my deployment to Iraq. I didn't like going the dr., even less going to sick call or VA (as I though it would mean I was weak) but 2 years ago I couldn't deal with the symptoms so went on a journey resulting in the PPMS diagnose. Thnks in advance
    Your county may have a Veterans Service Officer that can help you with the active vs reserve for benefits. I would think back to your active duty and any symptoms that you may have been seen for. Eye problems, urinary problems, fatigue, balance issues, vertigo, etc. Anything that is a symptom of MS can tie your diagnosis to back when you were active will help your case for service connectivity. Get a copy of your medical records from the Army.
    The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

I was DECADES out of the Navy, when I was Dx with "long standing RRMS". I filed a claim quickly after Dx. I had problems with PVA (Paralyzed veteran's of America). I am now with DAV (filed for increase).

I had to do my own research. The LAW as passed by congress is NO time limit, you do need to find your active duty med records. If there is a DOCUMENTED MS Sx in there, that is all that is needed for service connection. It was passed because of the usual LONG delay from Sx to formal DX.

Comment

Working...
      X