Corrections officer career

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corrections officer career

I was in construction my whole life and after my dx I just don’t feel comfortable on scaffolding any longer, so I had to leave that career. I was getting sick of it as well and now I have a chance to chg my career. I am going back to school and done my high school upgrades and got accepted into community justice studies diploma. There’s a variety of careers that come with that but I wanted to work as a probation officer but looks like I need 1-2 years of CWO service to be considered.

now I’m pretty much sx free since my terrible dx flare in 2017, tecfidera is keeping me stabilized at the moment, I work out regularly and run, weightlifting and in decent shape and hoping I can stay in this condition for as long as possible. But before I drop a bunch a money on this I want to make a good decision, I’ve read there are police officers with MS and still on duty so a correctional officer is less demanding than an policeman but still need to be physically fit and capable.

What are some some of your thoughts? Would a Canadian corrections department even consider someone with MS? I guess if they can perform the duties I should be ok in 3-5 years and could transition into a probation officer at that point.

thanks guys

Originally posted by Ant1981 View Post
    I am going back to school and done my high school upgrades and got accepted into community justice studies diploma.
    Congrats! Good for you, Ant!

There’s a variety of careers that come with that but I wanted to work as a probation officer but looks like I need 1-2 years of CWO service to be considered.
    What is CWO?

now I’m pretty much sx free since my terrible dx flare in 2017, tecfidera is keeping me stabilized at the moment, I work out regularly and run, weightlifting and in decent shape and hoping I can stay in this condition for as long as possible.
    With your dx of RRMS, and having started a DMT early in the disease, you may do well for a very long time.

I guess if they can perform the duties I should be ok in 3-5 years and could transition into a probation officer at that point.
    Sounds like a good plan. Sometimes you just have to 'roll the dice', and go after your goals.

Of course, there are no guarantees for anyone, MS or not.

Good luck with your decision.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

CWO

What is CWO?
      Correctional officer work

With your dx of RRMS, and having started a DMT early in the disease, you may do well for a very long time.
      That promising, exercise and diet/lifestyle, stress management are paramount in this lifestyle change

Sounds like a good plan. Sometimes you just have to 'roll the dice', and go after your goals.

Of course, there are no guarantees for anyone, MS or not.

Good luck with your decision.
      Couldn't agree more sometimes you just have to go for it

Take Care[/QUOTE]

Comment

Correctional officer work
        Got it! You need to have experience working as a correctional officer, before you can qualify for a probation officer position.

Makes sense. (I guess)

Take Care
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
        X