Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I opt out of Medicare Part A while on SSDI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I opt out of Medicare Part A while on SSDI?

I am currently on SSDI and have reached the time when I am eligible for Medicare. I am currently on my husbands insurance and would like to stay on it. Can I opt out of Medicare all together (including part A)? If not, if I end up in the hospital will my insurance pay what Medicare doesn't cover? I just don't want to complicate things and would like nothing to change. Honestly, I just don't want to deal with it.

Thanks in advance. My health has deteriorated and I am not up for doing a lot of research or making a ton of phone calls right now.

Hope everyone is doing as well as possible.

I can't really answer your question, but wanted to let you know I was on medicare before my husband retired, so I had double health insurance coverage - both his insurance plan and my medicare. There was no problem.

Hopefully, our MSLawyer or someone can answer your questions here soon.
    Wishing the best for you.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

My interpretation of the situation is that there would be no good reason to opt out of Medicare Part A, since it's free.

I think insurance is billed first, rather than Medicare. Rather than insurance covering what Medicare does not, I think that Medicare would cover what insurance does not. I suspect your whole bill would be paid -- that Medicare would even cover co-pays and deductibles that insurance does not. Yup; double insurance, like Seasha said.

That's my guess. But, let's wait for a professional opinion.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thank you for responding

Thank you both for responding. I have done more research and am still unclear but I think you are right that have double coverage is not a bad thing. It is just confusing and I was suprised that it is not optional. It's comforting to know that you both did not have a bad experience and were able to keep your private insurance.

Thanks again!

Comment

You can opt out of Medicare, but you should carefully weigh the pros and cons of doing so. Your local Social Security office can walk you through the opt out process. Considering the low cost of these programs and the value of coverage, the vast majority of claimants should accept this coverage. Additionally, if you opt out, there are generally penalties for later changing your mind and asking to opt in.
          Attorney Jamie R. Hall's practice is focused on assisting individuals with claims and appeals for Social Security Disability and Long Term Disability benefits. He has assisted claimants nationwide, approximately half of whom are MS patients, from his Pennsylvania and Ohio locations. **No attorney/client relationship is created by this communication, and information provided herein is not a substitute for formal advisement.**

Comment

Working...
          X