Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

multiple symptoms including paresthesia

Hello,
    Been suffering from burning in the back of my thighs for 5 years now. It seems to come on gradual and intensifies in pain for 2-3 months before it starts to go away slowly over several months (it's always there though), then it comes back again and repeats. The pain feels like a bad sunburn, painful when anything touches my legs or even when sitting on a toilet. I've also been slowly developing leg weakness that's very noticeable when going up a slight incline, climbing stairs, etc. I can almost feel my energy leave my body and it's a bizarre sensation. I noticed this 3 years ago trying to walk through sand at the beach. It was like quicksand X10 and I had to stop and couldn't go further.

It seems like every time my legs start to flare up, then I develop a new symptom or two. 3 weeks ago or so, I developed a cold with a fever. I think the fever set off a flare-up because that's when things got really bad! Since then, I have balance issues, tripping, internal vibrations in my legs, blurry vision, tremors, cognitive and memory issues, and I was in bed for practically a week and a half with my feet on fire and pins and needles.

My PCP is quite sure I have an autoimmune disorder, she just doesn't know which one. I have seen 3 neurologists, 2 EMG/nerve conduction studies (both normal). Just had an appointment with my Neurologist today due to all the new symptoms, I am finally going to get an MRI of my brain! He said he doesn't know what's causing my symptoms but here is what he's put down in my chart the last 2 times I've seen him:

Posterior leg dysesthesias
    Proximal muscle fatigue
    hyperesthesia
    bilateral leg pain, paresthesias, and weakness.
    Hip Flexion (briefly full strength with giveaway weakness)
    Knee Extension (briefly full strength with giveaway weakness)
    Knee Flexion (briefly full strength with giveaway weakness)
    Proprioception impaired at the toes.
    Intermittent bilateral UE dysesthesias
    Intermittent visual disturbance
    CEREBELLUM: Finger-to-nose with mild end-point dysmetria

Is there anything in here that jumps out and says, " not MS" to anyone?
    Thanks for any information

Originally posted by Lundungurl View Post
    Posterior leg dysesthesias
    Proximal muscle fatigue
    hyperesthesia
    bilateral leg pain, paresthesias, and weakness.
    Hip Flexion (briefly full strength with giveaway weakness)
    Knee Extension (briefly full strength with giveaway weakness)
    Knee Flexion (briefly full strength with giveaway weakness)
    Proprioception impaired at the toes.
    Intermittent bilateral UE dysesthesias
    Intermittent visual disturbance
    CEREBELLUM: Finger-to-nose with mild end-point dysmetria

Is there anything in here that jumps out and says, " not MS" to anyone?
    Thanks for any information
    Hi Lundungurl

I don't see anything in those symptoms that says "not MS".

But in order for the neuro to say that the symptoms are due to MS, a criteria for the diagnosis must be met:

In order to make a diagnosis of MS, the physician must:

Find evidence of damage in at least two separate areas of the central nervous system (CNS), which includes the brain, spinal cord and optic nerves AND

Find evidence that the damage occurred at different points in time AND

Rule out all other possible diagnoses

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sy.../Diagnosing-MS

Your upcoming brain MRI will yield more helpful information.

Let us know what you find out.

Wishing you the best.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

giveaway weakness?

I am very confused now, what exactly is giveaway weakness? from what I googled it appears to be a term Dr's use when they think you're faking? Or am I just reading into wrong? Has anyone else heard of this term? I am definitely not faking!

MRI scheduled for Nov. 12th

Comment

Hi Lundungurl.

In a previous thread you said you had seen 3 Neurologists ~
        https://www.msworld.org/forum/showth...-factor-and-MS

What testing did those other Neurologist do, what did they tell you or diagnose you with and why a 4th opinion?
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by Lundungurl View Post
          I am very confused now, what exactly is giveaway weakness? from what I googled it appears to be a term Dr's use when they think you're faking? Or am I just reading into wrong? Has anyone else heard of this term? I am definitely not faking!

MRI scheduled for Nov. 12th
          Lundungurl ~

I just thought that "briefly full strength with giveaway weakness" meant that a physical movement starts out strong, then gets weaker with repetition.

I liken it to the motor fatigue from MS, which is when a muscle is easily fatigued from repetitive use, due to impaired nerve signals.

I honestly had not heard of the term "giveaway weakness". Maybe it does have some other meaning?

Take Care
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
            Lundungurl ~

I just thought that "briefly full strength with giveaway weakness" meant that a physical movement starts out strong, then gets weaker with repetition.

I liken it to the motor fatigue from MS, which is when a muscle is easily fatigued from repetitive use, due to impaired nerve signals.

I honestly had not heard of the term "giveaway weakness". Maybe it does have some other meaning?

Take Care
            That is how I have heard it used - initially a strong resistance that gives way subsequently.

Lundngirl - hope you get answers. Burning pain is one of the worst for me.
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
            X