Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to be a veterinary assistant. Will MS a problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to be a veterinary assistant. Will MS a problem?

I am considering getting certified as a veterinary assistant and possibly becoming a full veterinary tech. Before I sink any money into this career, I'd like to know if anyone here is currently working in the veterinary world. What issues do I need to consider? Should I worry about possible zoonotic infections?

Thanks for your help!

Welcome zencat.

I see this is your first post. When you get a chance, hop over to the 'tell us about yourself' forum and introduce yourself.

As for careers, noone here can predict your disease course and abilities. There are lots of studies that indicate the type of early symptoms, the earlier diagnosed, the extent of recovery, how soon you start a DMT, and which DMT can all play roles in potential prognosis. But these are just that - stats. And for each of us, it is individual.

Assuming you have no physical or cognitive symptoms, if you find a career you are interested in that may be physical, I say go for it. If you love your work, it is less stressful. Being active is also good for MS - keeping you as strong as you can be.

As for any infections, you should discuss with your neuro. Some DMTs do impact your immune system and may leave you more susceptible to catching things. I know the med I am on does. But at the same time, there are people on it who work in hospitals. So really discuss with your neuro.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

not sure about the risks or how your journey will go but don't let it be the reason for not going for it. If you are capable now there is no reason to think you might not be in the future. The possibility is there so take care of yourself both mentally and physically and prepare the best you can.

and after you get the Veterinary Assistant Certification work toward being a Veterinarian. Keep it going.
      The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Go For it!!

Been an LVT for 30 years, DX in June 2008, have maintained a full time position the entire time. Started on Copaxone in July 2008. You can do it!! Pace yourself and work smart, but you can do it!!
        Scooter buddy

Comment

Originally posted by zencat View Post
          I am considering getting certified as a veterinary assistant and possibly becoming a full veterinary tech. Before I sink any money into this career, I'd like to know if anyone here is currently working in the veterinary world. What issues do I need to consider? Should I worry about possible zoonotic infections?

Thanks for your help!
          Welcome, Zencat. Please come back!

As others have said, we can't predict your disease course. However, many have a successful career for many years with MS.

I'll give you some of my standard advice. I tend to lean towards a combination of traditional medicine and complementary strategies.
          - Consider getting on a DMD (disease modifying drug) if you aren't already.
          - Take care of yourself. Eat a healthy diet, exercise regularly and moderately but don't push yourself beyond your abilities or endurance, manage your stress (or, better yet, prevent stress whenever possible), consider adding meditation, mindfulness, yoga, etc to your routines, be grateful for the good things in your life, enjoy friends and family, etc.
          - Read and educate yourself about dietary strategies for MS. I'm personally following some Wahls Protocol recommendations and, since starting, my MS is stable and is no longer declining.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
          X