Medications and liver problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medications and liver problems.

Would love to hear from other people with high liver blood tests whether from the MS medications ex: copaxane aubagio etc or from other mediations that you take because of spasms, pain etc.I currently have liver blood tests that are high and would like to hear from you.

I don't have this issue, but since increased liver enzymes is one of the many things that they test for every 3 months for Tecfidera, I was originally concerned that this might happen to me (of course, it still might!)

I would suggest you look into castor oil (do some research to find a good brand) You rub it on your skin at the liver, and use a heating pad, you can also wear an old t-shirt and let it soak overnight. Be careful, it stains - also do a skin test first, as some people have skin sensitivities.

Not sure that castor oil is a cure, but every little bit helps and it certainly has shown to help support the liver

Comment

Hi Tammy-Rose I had been on "paracetamol-codeine" for a number of years due to various aches and pains, but my liver function test always came back high, I had to change my medication to start Tysabri as the DR's check liver function (due to this being a side effect of Tysabri), Now I take Targin slow release morphine twice daily and my liver function tests come back clear and I can get out of bed in the morning good luck Craig

Comment

Liver Function and MS Meds

Hi Tammy-Rose,

I was on Rebif for about 7 years and my neurologist diligently monitored my liver function by ordering a Hepatic Function Panel every six months. My numbers continued to rise and he finally decided that I had to stop taking Rebif. The drug was working well for me in all the ways it was supposed to except for the liver numbers. I switched to Tecfidera and had blood work done every 3 months. My liver function number decreased dramatically and eventually returned to the normal range. I do not take any medications for MS-related symptoms. It is pretty clear that Rebif was the source of the problem. I must admit that taking capsules is an improvement over injections.

I wish you the best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Tammy-Rose View Post
          Would love to hear from other people with high liver blood tests whether from the MS medications ex: copaxane aubagio etc or from other mediations that you take because of spasms, pain etc.I currently have liver blood tests that are high and would like to hear from you.
          When I was on Betaseron, I had regular blood tests to monitor my liver function. That hasn't been required since I've been on Copaxone.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi! I was taken off of Aubagio recently because my liver enzymes were elevated 5 times my baseline.
            DX 2005 RRMS. Did 2nd round of Lemtrada Jan 2018. DX SPMS 2019

Comment

Hi, I have had elevated liver enzymes multiple times, sometimes 2-3 x normal but sometimes more than 10 x normal. High dose steroids do this to me frequently. They take several days to return to normal.

My recent relapse has been a nightmare. Started having myoclonic seizures. Treated with steroids--LFTs went up. Neurontin increased and clonazapam added to try to stop seizures without success. Started on tegretol and got real sick. Fevers 103 for four days, type 2 heart attack, terrible leg spasms and weakness, LFTS way up again. Hospitalized for six days.

During hospitalization had abdominal ultrasound because of liver functions. It shows fibrosis. Have to see hepatologist now but my doctor feels all the episodes of elevated liver enzymes has done some more permanent damage to my liver now.

Now they say the tegretol I was taking caused a medication induced lupus. That's why I got so sick. So many MS medications have dangerous side effects. Make sure to monitor your liver functions closely.

Comment

Working...
              X