Tax credit and LTD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax credit and LTD

Hi. I've just been approved for LTD from my job's insurance company. Now, will I also news to apply for my CPP-D to reduce insurance payments?
    Is it easier to get CPP-D when on LTD?
    Also, do many get the Disability Tax Credit? Was it difficult to get?
    Thanks!

Hi Fellow Canadian, please excuse the length of this. I've been down this road and personally for me, it went like this:

- LTD from employer's insurance co. since 2007;

- Insurance co. sent me the CPP application shortly after in order to reduce their portion of my pay.

- Filled it out with as much detail as possible, especially the symptoms section. Since most of us experience most of these general symptoms on a daily basis, don't be shy to use "sometimes", "as a result of", etc. For example, the section called "Standing"... yes, I can stand without assistive devices but as a result of standing... pain, weakness and fatigue occur if I stand for too long.

- Not expecting to get approved, mailed it in July 2007 and got approved in November 2007 (and then proceeded to cry my eyes out over it).

The Disability Tax Credit Certificate is a different beast alltogether. You can print the application from Canada Revenue Agency's website... just look in the "persons with disabilities" section. I got approved for this as well (another big tear session followed); it has nothing to do with being deemed "disabled" by insurance, CPP, etc.

Unless on a life-sustaining med. such as insulin, in order to qualify for this HUGE tax credit you must be either mentally or physically disabled based on CRA's criteria (lovely!). I qualified based on my degree of blindness plus my physical impairments, even though I don't use a wheelchair or scooter. Both my opthamologist and my neurologist had different sections to fill in. I think it's more straight forward if you solely rely on any kind of device to function normally.

The sooner you apply for the tax credit certificate, the better. It's a hidden gem that most people don't know about, as well as being a tax credit, it also allows you to claim many expenses as as result of your MS. If you get your application in soon it will be ready for you to file your taxes in April. Once approved, it stays on your file for life... yes, a government form that you don't have to repeatedly pay doctors to complete!!!

On a personal note, I've just been approved to return to work for a few hours per week (my wishes, not theirs). Since 2007, I have been home full time receiving pay via insurance and CPP. I originally had visions of being a pensioner and an LTD case number for the rest of my life but I was so wrong. My return to work is totally supported by insurance co. (of course, less they have to pay me) and CPP. CPP will even help to retrain or pay for some schooling should I need to go a different path in the workforce due to MS.

Try to keep your chin up though this daunting process and I hope it works out for you.
    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I am on LTD, and the insurance company required me to apply for CPP-D. I was approved quickly with no problem. They called me once, to tell me it was approved and said that since I was PPMS, they probably wouldn't be requiring any future info from doctors or me (a sort of good news, bads news thing... good they wouldn't bother me, bad that they didn't think I'd be getting better!).

One of the reasons it's good to apply for the CPP-D is that if there is a cost of living increase in it, the amount that's deducted from your LTD stays the same, so you get to keep the increase (in my case, anyway - not sure if it's the same with all insurance companies). It was only $17 a month this year, but every little bit helps, and depending how long you're on it, it could add up.

The Disability Tax Credit was approved quickly as well.

Comment

Thank-you Cat Mom for your wonderful reply. I'm sure I will have more questions later...

You were very helpful in your CPP-D explanation suggestions using the best wording to describe functions and symptoms.

As far as the Canada Disability Tax goes I will definitely consider the form. Not sure if I will
        qualify but it is worth a try.
        What a road you have been on,and I'm glad these things have worked out for you...
        You would think when on LTD the Cpp-d and tax credit would be a given...

Well, thanks again. I will have more questions along the way. Take care and I do appreciate your help!

Comment

Thanks Still Okay. I'm also glad your approvals came through.I really appreciate the supportive replies. I've always worked until this year so this paperwork is all new and overwhelming.
          Still Okay take care and thanks for sharing!,

Comment

tax credit forms

Just in addition to what every one else has said (and you probably know this - but good for others starting the process) the disability tax credit forms are filled in by your doctor.
            Hope everything goes smoothly. Although I was approved, it was a stressful/emotional time applying. For me, it was hard actually seeing all my disability in writing.

Comment

tax credit

Hi, I had issues with applying for the tax credit. All total it cost me $100 in fees to my Dr. The first forms she filled out cost $50 and then the government in all it's wisdom sent more forms to her to fill out, that's the next $50. My Dr emphasized that I am disabled for life and so you'd think the tax credit would be approved for life but nope! I have been approved for a total of 5 yrs and then have to go through it all again. Somehow they think all the problems will go away? Anyway, my Dr once again will tell them I will never improve, and I will get hit for another $100 or so. I am hoping that this time the government will realize that I really am not going to magically get better in another 5 yrs Good luck with your application.

Comment

What a cash cow government paperwork is, my sympathies go out to you. Are you sure it's only for 5 years?
                RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Disability Tax Credit

The DTA is not a life long approval... ( Unless there are some circumstances where you get life long approval that I am unaware of eg: Blindness etc?) Our son was approved for the credit for 9 years - He will have to reapply once he hits 18 (He too has a Neurological disorder not related to MS though) The date you will need to reapply is stated on the letter you receive stating approval.

I have not applied for the credit myself because at this time I feel I would not qualify. The good thing about the credit is you can go back and claim for previous years( from the time of diagnosis - the one stated by the doctor on the application)

Not all doctors charge a fee to fill out the forms... If you are charged you can always claim the fee on your income tax under medical expenses.

Comment

Disability tax credit-more clarification

Hello. My doctor filled in the DTC forms. I thought the date was explained to be not necessarily date of diagnosis, but date symptoms started.

She put 2011. I was diagnosed 2007. Had 2 out 4 symptoms on cumulative effects before 2011.

Mailed it off anyway. If I do get approved, can doctor amend that date? And then send back for reassessment?

Comment

Originally posted by bluenose95 View Post
                      Hello. My doctor filled in the DTC forms. I thought the date was explained to be not necessarily date of diagnosis, but date symptoms started.

She put 2011. I was diagnosed 2007. Had 2 out 4 symptoms on cumulative effects before 2011.

Mailed it off anyway. If I do get approved, can doctor amend that date? And then send back for reassessment?
                      I Believe so, just write a note saying that, and have the doc sign it off, you will get a fair amount back by doing that, if you were disabled from ms at that time.

Comment

Working...
                      X