X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here in British Columbia

Hi,
    I am a new member and so happy to have found this board. I live nr. Vancouver BC. 45 yrs old, married with 3 kids.
    I was diagnosed with Relapsing/Remitting MS just this May after a couple of years of weird symptoms.

The MRI showed lesions on my brain and on the upper spinal cord. I also have had a couple of episodes of Optic Neuritis. My worst symptom right now (and for the past year) is numbness in my legs and feet.

I have been seen by a wonderful Dr. at the MS Clinic at UBC. I have to attend an Education session at the clinic this week to learn all about the meds. Apparently they will also discuss how to get help with the costs.

Thanks for letting me chime in. Look forward to getting to know my fellow Canadians.

Comment

Welcome mtstan

We're piling up here in the west! Sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. Glad to see you on the boards and keep us posted on how your med decision goes.

Sounds like you've got a lot of info and support coming your way via the MS clinic.

Blessings,
      "Classic Non-Responder" Who'll Never Quit
      1st CIS 1985 / RRMS Dx 1990 / SPMS 2006

Comment

Americans are benevolently ignorant about Canada, while Canadians are malevolently well informed about the United States. J. Bartlett Brebner

~ Faith
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thanks

Hey all just new to the site. I live in Oshawa - yah by choice too. LOL
          I haven't been 'DX' with MS, right now they are calling it 'Clinically Isolated MS'. About 4 years ago I started to studder then a few months after that began, I lied in bed one night and felt my right leg and mid section of my stomach go numb. I was told at my first neurologist appt that it was MS - and then I had an EP and MRI's done - came back neg, so she changed her mind.

After seeing serveral different doctors and my family doctor not seeming to care I went to see a Neurologist in Oshawa, he DX it as Isolated MS - I am to afraid to tell them that my hands are feeling funny now cause I know they will think I am making it up.
          thanks for this site and the stories it really does help.
          Thanks for listening.

Comment

Welcome Stewy

Glad you checked in. Nice to see another Canuck join. I'm sorry for the reason you're here though.

I don't know how much MS research you've done, but if you look up the MS Society of Canada and look under therapies, you will see that a promising therapy for someone with a CIS (clinically isolated symptom) is minoclycline. This is a mild antibiotic used to treat acne. It is currently under 1 or 2 studies, but previous reports claim that taking it has delayed the DX of definite MS by up to 10 years! That means 10 years of very little progression. Not a cure, but who knows what the medical future holds.

I'm not your Doc and I don't know your whole history. If you are interested, print off all the info you can and inform your GP. He can prescribe it to you. A Neuro or MS DX are not necessary. Plus it's cheap like borscht!

Blessings,

Comment

Hey Weeble, thanks I have an appt in a couple of weeks so I will chat with him about that drug.
              I am so glad I found this site - people's stories are mine but I ruled out MS because I was told that wasn't it..but nothing else fit.

Comment

Western greetings!

Hi all, nice to see a little place for us, we definately have a different mind about us due to our healthcare.

When I think about this after watching that movie "Sicko" I plant my feet firmly on the ground in this country.

Calgary
                34 y/o
                dx in May 2008

Comment

Definately we are pretty priveledged for our healthcare - I must of been to 10 different docs before I got dx. I couldn't imagine having to pay to visit them to hear - 'well I just don't know'

I am also very grateful for my benefits - I can handle the dispensing fee as it is usually much cheaper than the drugs.

Comment

Greetings gals...

I am going to join the Canadian contingent and well, it appears a little late, but glad to have found this thread. I am 44, dx in Mach of this year with PP, and it's going as well as expected. I still like to ride my bie, and hike, if anyone dare join me as it has to be early morning, my best time of day. Would like to keep in touch with locals too and ask if anyone is on meds for PP - so far, I have been told (and did tons of reasearch) that states that have no postive impact, so I am seeing a naturopath, changing diet, working out, but losing touch with my activity partners as they leave me behind - I understand why but am helpless to change my diminishing energy level and schedule. Any thoughts how to stay social?

Comment

I have forgotten all about this site until just now

& it feels good to be here again

Richard
                      Vancouver B.C.

Comment

hello to you

hello fellow Canadians.....I have been away from this site for some time now and finally decided it was time to touch base again - always great to know there are others who understand the difficulties we go thru with MS. good days/bad days always different each day. Look forward to catching up on my reading and chatting with everyone!
                        Bethany11
                        Dx'd January 17 2006
                        Avonex - started June 3, 2006
                        RRMS

Comment

My 2nd post...I just found out on the 10th that it 'appears' I have MS. I went to see my family dr because my blood pressure was high. He asked if I had spoken to my nuerologist yet and when I indicated I had not he let me know that he had just gotten my MRI results from Oct. 3rd back that morning. My reply was that I am sure you did not find anything because I do not think we will ever know what is wrong with me (after years of being made to feel like it was all in my head and my nuerologist assuring me in April it was not MS).

I now wonder if not knowing may have been better than knowing. I think I am in shock, disbelief, denial or all of the above. The only good thing is I am not crazy, nuts or a hyperchrondriac and this explains a LOT of 'stuff' but...I have so many questions and I will probably forget them before I see the neurologist with my CRS being what it is .
                          Come play on MY Island....

I thought all I had was CRS and have now been told MS

Comment

Originally posted by BentBarbie View Post
                            My 2nd post...I just found out on the 10th that it 'appears' I have MS. I went to see my family dr because my blood pressure was high. He asked if I had spoken to my nuerologist yet and when I indicated I had not he let me know that he had just gotten my MRI results from Oct. 3rd back that morning. My reply was that I am sure you did not find anything because I do not think we will ever know what is wrong with me (after years of being made to feel like it was all in my head and my nuerologist assuring me in April it was not MS).

I now wonder if not knowing may have been better than knowing. I think I am in shock, disbelief, denial or all of the above. The only good thing is I am not crazy, nuts or a hyperchrondriac and this explains a LOT of 'stuff' but...I have so many questions and I will probably forget them before I see the neurologist with my CRS being what it is .
                            Welcome. Sorry you have to be here. MS is generally all in your head, but I know that's not what you were getting at.

Write down all your questions and do some homework online and in this forum before you see your Neuro. I think it works out best when you walk into your appt with some information/ knowledge.

A new diagnosis is a lot to absorb. Take your time and ask lots of questions. There's a lot of information and experience here.

Comment

Hello All

Hello just a hi to all you fellow Canadians.Well i went to my neuro last thursday.Got good news and bad news.The good news i am getting some feeling back in my right leg with the rebif needles,Bad news 2 new lesions.Oh well it happens.Just a little disappointed that i am getting more lesions.I am trying to take one day at a time now.I am so down now about that i just feel like crying now.Why would "god" give this disease to anyone?I have been so upset about it i have had a small spell with it.Can anyone give me pointers to get over this hump?

Comment

Originally posted by mtstan View Post
                                Hi,
                                I am a new member and so happy to have found this board. I live nr. Vancouver BC. 45 yrs old, married with 3 kids.
                                I was diagnosed with Relapsing/Remitting MS just this May after a couple of years of weird symptoms.

The MRI showed lesions on my brain and on the upper spinal cord. I also have had a couple of episodes of Optic Neuritis. My worst symptom right now (and for the past year) is numbness in my legs and feet.

I have been seen by a wonderful Dr. at the MS Clinic at UBC. I have to attend an Education session at the clinic this week to learn all about the meds. Apparently they will also discuss how to get help with the costs.

Thanks for letting me chime in. Look forward to getting to know my fellow Canadians.

Hi there, this is my very first post on this board, and I am happy I've found this site. I live on the island and was *formally*diagnosed in August of this year but had another Mri/tests scheduled for September. I have just started on Rebif, in fact, tonight is the first time I will inject all be myself, without my MS nurse there to help (yikes) I am hoping this site will help me with some answers to my questions (of course I have many) lol It is nice to know that there are people close by to give support and info re: this disease. Have a nice night, Leanne
                                Leanne-DX RRMS Aug 2008
                                Rebif, Copaxone now AVONEX, FINALLY the drug 4 me

Comment

Working...
                                X