This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newly diagnosed

From Cobourg, Ontario - diagnosed 3 weeks ago. Age: 47. MRI's over past year (3) show significant progression and addition of lesions. "Im"patiently waiting to be seen at an MS Clinic - 6 month waiting list.

Being on a "flare" since late February.

Glad to have found this thread and people to communicate with.

Comment

Hello Mrsj, nice to see someone else that lives in Ontario. It is too bad that the MS cliinics always say that there is a 6 month waiting list. I also had to wait awhile when i first was sick. Remember to always go with your own instincts not just what the docs say. Research now if you can so you will understand what they are talking about with the different treatments and so forth. I have had to see different Neurologists since 2002 . One didn't speak very good english so it was very hard to understand him which made it more frustrating. I had a good one In Oshawa once while I was in the hospital his name is Dr .Crisp he is very smart. I have been to St .Mike's, Sunnybrook and Markham stouffville. Do you have a neurologist already at all?

Comment

Good Neurologist

Hello Amber 23,

I have Dr. Crisp as my neurologist after trying one at St. Mikey's and Sunnybrook. I had previously been a patient of his for a completely unrelated issue to MS. I was very impressed then but, when my body began retaliating against me, he had a 6 mos. waiting list. A diagnosis of MS and 7 yrs. later, I was able to get him back as my G.P. Neurologist;
        I also see Dr. Feinstein at Sunnybrook.
        It appears we have more than living in Ontario, in common!

Sherry53

Comment

Hello Mrsj1996:

I too am from Cobourg and have been diagnosed for almost 8 years nows. There is a great support groupt that meets at the columbus centre on the last monday of every month except during the summer. The local chapter of the MS society is a very good one and can offer a lot of help.

Comment

Hi, New

Hi, I'm 49, and newly diagnosed. I live on Vancouver Island.
            Life is a daring bold adventure, or it's nothing at all.
            Helen Keller

Comment

Calling all Canadians

Kitchener, Ontario.

I'm quite familiar with Barrie, I lived there for a couple fo years back in 1998.

Comment

Limbolander!

Hello fellow Canadians!
                I am 27 years old living in Little Britain, ON.
                I am still in limboland.
                Woke up this time last year with a numb left hand that lasted 3 months. Was told it was probably ulnar nerve entrapment and brushed off. My Christmas gift was a numb left foot accompanied by 4 months of non stop twitching in the arch. That got my doc's attention! Twitching has slowed down to occasionally, but my foot is still pins and needles.
                Other sx include:
                -fatigue
                -Tingling from head to toe only on left side
                -burning sensation on skin of arms and legs
                -electric shock like sensation in limbs
                -nerve pain in legs for months, now my arms
                -water drop sensation on legs and arms
                -vibrating when laying in bed
                -slight tremor in hands
                -a few more I can't remember without my journal!

All blood work came back clear, evoked potentials were clear, vascular ultrasounds were clear, MRI (head only, no contrast) is apparently clear. (still waiting for official report). Basic exam by my Physiatrist showed notably weakness in left arm and leg, and hyperreflexia in left arm and leg, so he referred me to Dr. Crisp in Oshawa

Waiting for my Neuro appointment in October. So far all my sx point to MS and my soon to be hubby is freaking out! We are so tired of doctors telling me "it's in your head", "it's just stress or anxiety"

Comment

From Victoria BC, diagnosed w SPMS last September at age 61
                  Have no GP, no neuro, using walk in clinics & emergency for mediacal needs such as dealing with bad MS hug & pain.
                  Victoria has got to be the worst place to find a GP or any kind of help for MS.
                  On a brighter note, I've had a ramp built or easier access to my home, added a great walk-in tub, and brought a NuStep (amazing machine) home from the US for exercise.

I figure anything my husband or I can do to help with this disease is about the best I can get as there is little to no medical help available for someone with SPMS.
                  The neuro I saw at the MS clinic in September said try to lose 20 lbs and you might be able to walk lomger and with that he told me, See you in a year.
                  Now all I need is a GP's referral to that clinic so that I can see the guy again probably to ne told the same by him and nothing else.
                  Wish it was like Britain here where there are private pay doctors available along with public doctors as then there might be a better chance of finding a GP.

Comment

Canadian Dr. woes

I am from Ontario and looking for a family doctor too. I was diagnosed almost 20 years ago and have been lucky to have 2 good Neurologists, one in Alberta and one here. I am from Alberta originally.
                    I started off with a cane, then the walker and now in a wheelchair. Unlike you, I was diagnosed in my early 20's. My husband has widened doors in the house and has taken walls down to make an "open concept" and I know have a wheel in shower. I am receiving Physiotherapy 2-3 days a week and I am stabilizing.......for now.
                    I have tried many different treatments but nothing new is in the works for me to try. I am not a huge fan of CCSVI. I need more proof.

Comment

Ottawa now, originally an Albertan

I have been diagnosed for almost 20 years, I am 40 now. I am now in a wheelchair for the last 4 years. I am secondary progressive with relapses. I also have had a variety of other medical issues in the past year. I am a mom of 2 teens and the wife of a very supportive husband. Is there anybody else out there from Alberta or Ottawa.

Comment

Originally posted by melicerq View Post
                        Hi there,
                        I also live in ottawa and was recently diagnosed with ppms. I am 35 years old and quite nervous of what is to become. I am a 3.5 on the scale. What are you and who is your doctor?
                        I have been slowly progressing - started with a cane and now in a chair. It took 20 years to get where I am now. I am secondary but still have relapses. Dr. Freedman has been with me from the start and he is puzzled sometimes by my relapses. I am presently being assessed for a Baclofen Pump. I have done the needles and the 2 chemos. I am a big advocate for physio therapy and MS. I also have a variety of other health problems. I am 41 and a mother of 2 teens. How about you?

Comment

Who is your neurologist? When were you diagnosed?

Comment

New Westminster, BC

Hi everyone!
                            New here. Diagnosed in the summer, must have missed the first stages - diagnosed with SPMS right away, by the UBC MS Clinic.
                            Been lurking here for a few months, decided to pipe up now - the thread had gone a bit stale ;-)
                            Rumata

Comment

Ottawa Ontario

Hi Canuckians!

Been around these boards/chat a few months now. Being monitored so no Dx.

M
                              “Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.”
                              ~ Mark Twain . . .Or a typo on the Internet. Srsly.

Comment

Stopped in to say hello. I live just outside of Ottawa.
                                When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Working...
                                X