This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi and welcome.

I have been to one support group and it was awesome. Go! It isn't really formal like a 12-step or anything and you'll meet people who understand.

Contact the MS Society and go to any educational events. You'll meet people there too.

Comment

West Nipissing Area

Hello everyone!

Just wondering if there is anyone from the West Nipissing area of Northern Ontario...Please advise.

Comment

Toronto...

Hey there....

Finally a place to talk about stuff close to home. There are many posts about treatments and drugs that don't apply to us, so it's nice to see some relevance.

I was diagnosed at the beginning of September this year. Although, my symptoms have been around since 2002. I've read some posts about how to determine the prognosis for PPMS and are disappointed to hear there is none. It really is scary to think we have no treatment and no drugs either. Lots for RRMS...not so much for PPMS.

My symptoms have been progressing fairly rapidly since April this year. I worked hard this week so today is a "recovery" day. This is the hardest day so far! Extreme fatigue, sore legs and arms....not to mention the weak legs that buckle under me while walking. It's been a real thrill.

Unfortunately, I've had to use my Accessibility Parking Permit a few times this week. I always feel guilty for doing that because, as we know, it's not a "visible" disability at times and I don't always need it.

I don't know what the future or progression will be, but it scares me to think where I am now and where this could lead next year....

Comment

North Western Ontario

Hi There! I am in a tiny town in north western Ontario...5 hours from Winnipeg, Manitoba & 4 hours from Thunder Bay. Those are the two closest centres with MS Clinics and neurologists.

Comment

Reliable Canadian mail order pharmacy

I am in the US, unable to afford provigil here. Can any of you recommend a safe, reliable mail order pharmacy (Canadian)? I have used PharmaWeb, but would like to try another. Thanks so much!

Comment

Hi from Calgary

I am from Calgary. There are a few Canadians on her but mostly Americans. Surprising because Canada has the highest rates of MS so there are a lot of us out there. I notice on chat discussions mostly centre on US health system and insurance. Not much information for Canadians

Comment

Where are all the Canadians.................

Originally posted by NRJ View Post
                I am from Calgary. There are a few Canadians on her but mostly Americans. Surprising because Canada has the highest rates of MS so there are a lot of us out there. I notice on chat discussions mostly centre on US health system and insurance. Not much information for Canadians
                Hey - Yes Canada has highest MS rate; we all seem to know someone who's been diagnosed with MS! Prior to receiving my dx, I personally know three others who've been dx'ed.

Agree, most of the active members are from USA; thus reading post(s), as helpful as they are, mostly refer to USA medical.

Finding resources in Canada can be a challenge within itself. Most places I call prefer to pass the buck to another organization. The way I've been spoken to, makes me feel like MS was just discovered, and I'm the first patient asking for advice/guidance!

Gotta stick with it!

Comment

Seeking information on LDN for progressive MS

Hello,

I just read the book Honest Medecine by Julie Schopick and the information on LDN(low dose naltrexone) sounds extremely promising for progressive MS.

I called a pharmacy in Toronto that carries the drug, which is extremely cheap because big pharma does not have a patent on it, and the pharmacist told they have been selling a lot of it lately. She referred me to the LDN website for more information and it sounds very effective and the bonus is that the only side affect is vivid dreams and a deeper sleep.

Has anyone tried it?

Warm regards,

Kris from TO

Comment

More Canadian content

Another Canadian, from Toronto. I do wish more of the discussions were relevant to us, in terms of resources and the health care system.

I also wouldn't mind sharing thoughts on our MS clinics and neurologists -- it is a small community, that, so it is harder to talk about more openly and requires a bit more in the way of discretion.

Not sure I have any answers ... just throwing up some thoughts.

Comment

Sick and tired of being sick and tired

OK no diagnosis of being sick but tired all the time. A couple of episodes with balance problems and constant muscle twitches.

The waiting is the hardest part. 1 year wait to see neurologist. He ordered an MRI but one month later no call yet. Sometimes it sucks having to wait in line. Oh well at least health care is paid for by our taxes.

It still sucks though.

Sorry, just had to vent!

Comment

Edmonton, newly diagnosed

Hi all -
                        I first joined a few mos ago (December) when my body really started going bonkers (I've had ongoing minor symptoms for a few years). Since then, have had a spinal after the MRI and I am now diagnosed - looks like relapsing.
                        My mom has PPMS and so I kinda knew I was headed down this path when I started having the major symptoms. Am still in relapse, still having new symptoms pop up too. Wish I knew how much longer this will last...

BUT I'm doing ok with it so far, taking it day by day, my hardest struggle right now is with my kids (daughter is 5y, son is 4y). They don't understand (obv) what's going on and I'm finding it hard to even keep up with them around the house.
                        Anyone else with small kids and same challenges?

Anyway, just wanted to say hello
                        Jen

Comment

LDN - my experience

Originally posted by lharalampopoulos View Post
                          Hello,

I just read the book Honest Medecine by Julie Schopick and the information on LDN(low dose naltrexone) sounds extremely promising for progressive MS.

I called a pharmacy in Toronto that carries the drug, which is extremely cheap because big pharma does not have a patent on it, and the pharmacist told they have been selling a lot of it lately. She referred me to the LDN website for more information and it sounds very effective and the bonus is that the only side affect is vivid dreams and a deeper sleep.

Has anyone tried it?

Warm regards,

Kris from TO
                          Hi Kris and all,,

I'm from Calgary, SPMS and have been using LDN since Sept. starting at only 1.5 mg, gradually increasing up to 4.5, where I've been for the past several months. However I have not improved in my severe vision problems nor in my balance and gait (also terrible - EDSS 6.5).

I was prescribed LDN by a functional medicine doc who I saw since my family doc wouldn't (full dose Naltrexone is for those with addictions and the doctor must be there monitoring) and my doc at the MS Clinic doesn't believe in it's usefulness for MS. For me it has not worked well though it has for others. It has helped though with sleep. Perhaps it is slowing the course of the disease yet it is constantly getting worse for me. But it is worth a shot, all MS patients are different and react differently to drugs.

Cheers,

Mark

Comment

Hello from Vancouver BC

I was diagnosed in late 2000. I just recently stumbled on to this site as I was researching a drug neuro wants me to go on. I found the many comments on this drug extremely helpful in making my decision re whether to go on or not -- which was NOT !! Even though the info on this site may not always be relevant, I think the comments from fellow MSers regarding meds and treatments is priceless.

Comment

Happy Boxing Day

Happy Boxing Day to all my Canadian friends!

~ From Faith
                              Your dual citizen mod
                              Although the US is also my home, Canada is definitely my roots and has had a huge role in shaping who I am.
                              ~ Faith
                              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hello, everyone!

I spend weekdays in Guelph and weekends/holidays in Toronto.

Have been a member here since 2012. Dx RRMS 2008. My first attack occurred in 2007 and I remained in denial until I joined this board, haha. Wish I were joking but I had an attack once a year for 5 years until I started Avonex.
                                Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
                                UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

Working...
                                X