Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Neighbour! Sorry to have to share this disease with you, but I am glad you found the boards. I am in the lower mainland. I started out on Rebif, but switched to Copaxone.

Prairiegirl
    DX w/NMO Nov. 2012
    (Mistakenly DX w/MS March 2008)

Comment

Welcome

Hello from me too.

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I hope everything went ok yesterday with your first injection without a nurse. I am still waiting to get started on Copaxone. My Dr. has filled out all the forms to make sure that Pharma Care will pay their part. Then I have to talk to Shared Solutions to see what they can offer me in the way of financial help as we don't have an extended medical plan.

Oh I love the island. My husband and I love it over there and are hoping to move there some day. My best friend was living in Nanaimo for a while but she and her hubby decided to take their family back to the UK.

Anyway, nice to meet you

Comment

[QUOTE=mtstan;1094959]Hello from me too.
        Then I have to talk to Shared Solutions to see what they can offer me in the way of financial help as we don't have an extended medical plan.QUOTE]

One thing I can tell you is if you call Pharmacare, you can get an option to paying your monthly drug costs till you hit your deductable. With the regular plan, you pay for your drugs until you hit their max and then they pay till the end of the year.

The other option you can get if you do not have extended medical (like me!) is to pay a monthly amount (based on your income) and you get coverage for the full cost of covered drugs (like our DMDs).

The fiscal year runs from Jan-Dec. and you have to pay a smaller deductable initially each year. Being on Copaxone means that you would pay say Jan and about 1/2 of feb's Copaxone cost, but after that you would have paid of the deductable for the year. It's not perfect, but it's far better to pay the monthly way than the regular way.

OF course SS and Pharmacare can explain it better and in more detail than I can, but I thought I would mention it because it shocks me how many British Columbians have no idea that this is an option for their drug costs.

They send a form yearly in Nov. to renew your commitment to this form of coverage, but it's tick a couple boxes and sign and you're all set.

ALl I can say is THANK GOD we have coverage in Canada. I can't imagine forking out $1400 for the one drug alone per month, never mind all the others I have to take.

Good luck!

*and sorry if this is OT for this thread.
        DX w/NMO Nov. 2012

Comment

Originally posted by mtstan View Post
          Hello from me too.

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I hope everything went ok yesterday with your first injection without a nurse. I am still waiting to get started on Copaxone. My Dr. has filled out all the forms to make sure that Pharma Care will pay their part. Then I have to talk to Shared Solutions to see what they can offer me in the way of financial help as we don't have an extended medical plan.

Oh I love the island. My husband and I love it over there and are hoping to move there some day. My best friend was living in Nanaimo for a while but she and her hubby decided to take their family back to the UK.

Anyway, nice to meet you
          I was really scared to inject by myself but did just fine although, I bled a little more than with the nurse? Not sure why but I have to do another one tonight so I'll see how that goes. I am having some trouble with the side effects though :-( My muscles are so sore especially when I wake up. Good luck with your copaxone, I've heard that the side effects can be less than Rebif, I hope so :-) I will be interested to hear how things go for you...keep me posted? Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
          Leanne-DX RRMS Aug 2008
          Rebif, Copaxone now AVONEX, FINALLY the drug 4 me

Comment

Originally posted by prairiegirl View Post
            Hi Neighbour! Sorry to have to share this disease with you, but I am glad you found the boards. I am in the lower mainland. I started out on Rebif, but switched to Copaxone.

Prairiegirl
            Hi there, I'm sorry but I'm still trying to figure out this board, lol If you don't mind me asking, why did you switch to Copaxone? Did you not like the Rebif? Please share as I am just getting started and tbh it was rough the first couple of times re: side effects :-( Thank goodness I was better today, well, still tired but not as sore in my muscles. Any info is appreciated, thanks in advance, Leanne
            Leanne-DX RRMS Aug 2008

Comment

I switched from Rebif to Copaxone because of the side effects. I was feeling awful-bad, bad headaches, (which I now know are an entirely different condition, independant of my MS) major fatigue and muscle aches. I was having a hard time getting out of bed.

I am quite sensitive to drugs of any kind, so after trying to titer up to the proper dose I only got to half of that and then had to back down to to a quarter dose. I started in April and ended up switching mid July.

Some people get through the tough part and do just fine. I was not one of them. The copaxone is a dialy shot, but no side effects and so I am feeling much better.

I hope you do well on Rebif. Good luck!
              DX w/NMO Nov. 2012

Comment

I switched from Rebif to Copaxone because of the side effects. I was feeling awful-bad, bad headaches, (which I now know are an entirely different condition, independant of my MS) major fatigue and muscle aches. I was having a hard time getting out of bed.

I am quite sensitive to drugs of any kind, so after trying to titer up to the proper dose I only got to half of that and then had to back down to to a quarter dose. I started in April and ended up switching mid July.

Some people get through the tough part and do just fine. I was not one of them. The copaxone is a dialy shot, but no side effects and so I am feeling much better.

I hope you do well on Rebif. Good luck!
                Thanks so much for your reply! I have been having a hard time with the muscle aches and tiredness as well but today (only 3rd injection) felt better...I'm hoping to be able to get up to the full dose but time will tell for sure. Glad the Copaxone is working well for you :-)
                Leanne-DX RRMS Aug 2008

Comment

does anyone now about the ms clinic in vancuver bc

Originally posted by littlebelle View Post
                  I am sure there are many out there. I have met a few. So Where in Canada are you from? If you do not want to say that is fine. Just pop in and say Hello.

I think since our insurance issues and medical supplies issues are different from our US friends we should have a place to discuss how our system works. What trials we have going etc.

Looking forward to meeting you all

I live in Barrie Ontario 100 KM from Toronto.

Comment

A clarification

. . . ALl I can say is THANK GOD we have coverage in Canada. I can't imagine forking out $1400 for the one drug alone per month, never mind all the others I have to take.

Good luck!

*and sorry if this is OT for this thread.

Most of us don't fork out anywhere near $1400 a month for drugs, because we have health insurance. I pay $30 per month, after my deductible is covered.

I've experienced both systems, and, IMO, they are both broken. Neither the U.S. or the Canadian health care system are without their flaws.

~ Faith
                    Canadian citizen; U.S. resident
                    ~ Faith
                    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi,I am from Alberta.Just moved from B.C.Have had MS for 15 years.Have been doing really good with it.Had a bad attack a month ago and now have to decide what to go on.Was wondering if anyone has any input on it.Leaning towards Avonex.The MS doctor said to pick one but that was about it,so if anyone has any information and thoughts on the subject i would love to read about it!

Comment

BL --

Some ppl prefer Avonex because it's only once a week. I avoided like the plague because of the large IM needles.

If you're not as needle-phobic as I am, you might be fine with it.

My preference was Betaseron, for lots of reasons (see my post at http://www.msworld.org/forum/showpost.php?p=987680&postcount=7), but, unfortunately, it was not effective for me.

Some like Copaxone because it doesn't have the flu-like symptoms of the interferons, but, for me, Copaxone has major site reaction side effects, and I dislike it intensely.

We're all different, though. Can't necessarily predict which would be the best fit until you try it.

~ Faith
                        Canadian citizen, U.S. resident
                        ~ Faith
                        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hey All

I have tried 2 of the drugs out there(copaxone and rebif)i found copaxone the best.No side effects for me.On the other hand rebif makes me sick.I have bad days monday wednesday and fridays.(they are the day i take my needles)On top of christmas and new years i moved into a house with my family.On the way to get a part for a bed i just bought,i got into a head on crash.I am real sore in the chest area where my seatbelt was but i am at least alive for my kids sake. The docs are worried my m.s. might flare up with all this stress i hope not

Comment

I am from Cape Breton.I now live 25 Min north of Barrie Ontario. Been here 6 years. I just wanted to say hello to all.

Comment

Well I took my first shot of Avonex yesterday!Went to the doctor and she did it for me!Did not get ant side affects yet!Do not think i will already,hope the next shot goes as good!Have a great day!Heh any one from Alberta!

Comment

Canadians

Hi canadians,
                                I live in guelph, and was dx in 2004.

Comment

Working...
                                X