Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What musical instrument can i play with one hand ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When first on disability, I tried to teach myself piano.
    Fun but limited.
    I can only pick out a song with my right hand.
    My left hand is stiff and fingers curl in cannot do chords.

any ideas?
    any modified techniques to try?

thank you !

Rosie

I used to play the piano, avidly but poorly. 10 or more years ago my left hand lost sensation and flexibility. It broke my heart. I can use my right hand and van use one finger on my left hand. I can barely play some simple music mow (good bye, theWell-Tempered Clavier). I also try basic organ where a foot can play the bass register with pedals. Also a good synthesizer (with a sequencer or arpeggiator) can be satisfying at times. If you're feeling adventurous, try a theremin, a super cool electronic instrument which requires almost no touch or finger dexterity since your hand acts as adjustable capacitor only by moving through space.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosieva View Post
      Fun but limited.

any ideas?
      any modified techniques to try?

thank you !

Rosie

Hi Rosie

What about the harmonica?
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Another suggestion: the fretted dulcimer. You strum with one hand and frett with the other. It's a traditional instrument good for old-time music. Easy and fun to play but it's making music to enjoy and entertain.

Comment

what is a theremin ?
          i have no idea where to start with synthesizers.
          i had not considered.
          my kids love electronic music.
          i like some, but prefer picking out familiar songs to creating my own .
          no caps, sorry. one hand typing

Comment

what is a theremin ?

A theremin is an electronic musical instrument which responds to hand movements to control pitch and volume. It was invented in the 1920's and popularized by many science fiction movies and the Beach Boys in their hit Good Vibrations. It is much more useful than that. I like synhs because you can use them to play chords etc. with a single finger. A piano is a special and unique instrument. But a syth can make a lot more noise.

As you may gather, I'm in a similar situation. My left hand is 10%, my right 80%. I love music and, at times, have been very sad. I sold my beloved piano because years of rehabilitation made little progress. I've tried to find a "work around".

Comment

Fun but limited.
              Sorry for the loss of your ability. I'd miss being able to play piano with two hands if I lost that.

One suggestion: If you can find songs you like to play on YouTube, you can play along with one hand on the piano. Either the melody with your right hand, or chord it with your left hand, or whatever you decide. YouTube is how I practice my songs that I play when I'm scheduled to play with our worship band in church.
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

That’s a thought

Originally posted by KoKo View Post

Hi Rosie

What about the harmonica?
                That would be fun to try.

Comment

That would be fun to try.
                  I never thought much about a harmonica, until I heard the songs Ave Maria, My Heart Will Go On (Titanic theme song) and classical music all played beautifully on the harmonica.
                  ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Reverie Harp

Hi there:

A company called, "Musicmakers" has created a lovely instrument, the Reverie Harp, for exactly your situation. It is an egg-shaped, 22-stringed instrument, tuned mostly in a pentatonic scale. It was developed by music therapists for their use, but also that of their patients. It can easily be played with one hand and even one finger. Lovely sound, comforting and gentle.

I have one and love it. Their website is: harpkit.com

Best wishes to you.
                    Ritalinda

Comment

Originally posted by Defya View Post
                      Hi there:

A company called, "Musicmakers" has created a lovely instrument, the Reverie Harp, for exactly your situation. It is an egg-shaped, 22-stringed instrument, tuned mostly in a pentatonic scale. It was developed by music therapists for their use, but also that of their patients. It can easily be played with one hand and even one finger. Lovely sound, comforting and gentle.

I have one and love it. Their website is: harpkit.com

Best wishes to you.
                      Hi Ritalinda

Thank you for bringing this harp to our attention.

I visited the website and read the articles about the many benefits for various types of patients.

It appears to be an amazing instrument.

I might look into this myself, as I have use of one arm/hand as well.

Take Care

Comment

I have purchased and assembled a number of Musicmaker kits, a psalter, a dulcimer, and a hurdy girdy. The hurdy girdy was a bit of a challenge, but the first two require only basic skills an give a real feeling of accomplisment when completed. The mountain dulcimer is an easy one handed instrument. You strum and press the frett board.

Comment

I'm a Music Lover

I just now discovered this thread about musical instruments and I am so excited! A little bit of background. I come from a musical family. My Dad was a trumpet player, my uncle was a drummer, my grandfather a pianist. I took piano lessons when I was a kid (I'm 63 now), played classical guitar when I was a teen. Many years later I took violin lessons, rented a hammered dulcimer, and taught myself how to play it.

But that was then and this is now. I haven't played any instrument for many years. Due to my MS I have issues with fine motor control in my right hand. But I would love to start playing an instrument again. What exactly is a musicmaker kit? Is the kit for mainly percussive instruments? Is the kit hard to put together? I'll go google it, but would love to get some input from other people with MS. What do you think? What are your experiences?

Comment

Originally posted by gellexi View Post
                            I What exactly is a musicmaker kit? Is the kit for mainly percussive instruments? Is the kit hard to put together?

Musicmajker kits are fairly simple kits of traditional american musical instruments. They do take basic skills and dexterity to assemble. I was able to do it and my skills are pretty basic. Take a look at the website and decide for yourself. There are other options for the dextarity impared: look, for, example, at the electronic theremin. The sound is not to everyone's taste. I like that genere but take a look and listen. There are other options as well. I see you are from Anapolis. I went to college in Baltimore and visited there frequently. Beautiful town. Good luck on your search. MS doesn't end your dreams but sometimes you have to re-think them. God bless and good luck.

Comment

I looked at the Musicmaker kits website. I wouldn't be able to put one together, but my husband probably could. Looking at the previous posts has given me some ideas. Especially the Reverie Harp. It looks fairly easy to play, so maybe I'll try that. Also, I do know what a theremin is. Think Good Vibrations and The Twilight Zone. You mentioned a couple of other instruments in your posts that I have never heard of. I'll look into them. Thank you for your help, Brad.

Comment

Working...
                              X