No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm on The Jungle, Upton Sinclair. Holy cow (NPI), it sure makes me glad for the USDA. I had no idea of what went on in the Chicago packingtown. It's a great story & social commentary and done with excellent writing.
    —Cindy
    For every day I want to play,
    I set aside a day to pay.

Comment

I'm just finishing up Snowflower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. It's about rural China in the 1800's and two girls and their arranged friendship. Very descriptive about footbinding - they crippled themselves - sometimes dying in the process. I could relate about not walking far. Sad a lot of the time but interesting.
      The author also was injured in an auto accident and mentioned how some of her supposed friends disappeared and others came running to help her.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivy
        I'm just finishing up Snowflower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. It's about rural China in the 1800's and two girls and their arranged friendship. Very descriptive about footbinding - they crippled themselves - sometimes dying in the process. I could relate about not walking far. Sad a lot of the time but interesting.
        The author also was injured in an auto accident and mentioned how some of her supposed friends disappeared and others came running to help her.
        That book was sooooo awesome. What a great way to learn about that time in history. And See is such a talented writer. The foot binding really creeped me out tho.
        wendy

Comment

Hi New here, looking forward to learning about new good reads....
          I'm reading The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz, about a Pole who escaped from A Siberian prison in WWII. I know there was a lot more suffering thn he describes in the book. Amazing what they did, with moccasins and no down coats trekking for 1000 miles in that frezzing land.

Comment

Originally posted by smiles
            That book was sooooo awesome. What a great way to learn about that time in history. And See is such a talented writer. The foot binding really creeped me out tho.
            I just finished it last night and agree it's awesome and I think I'll look for another book by her. Always glad to find something I enjoy.

Comment

I love this thread, so many great ideas! I'm currently reading "The Power of One" by Bryce Courtnay and it is sooo good. I always read before I go to bed and this book makes me stay up way too late. Next up is "The Memory Keepers Daughter".

Karen
              " If we didn't laugh we would all go insane" Jimmy Buffett

Comment

Just finished "The Glass Castle" and loved it! Great memoir.

I need to read "The China Study" next since my best friend sent it to me (it changed her life, in her words), but instead I picked up "Life of Pi" to re-read. I remember it being inspiring to me when I read it years ago, and lord knows I need some inspiration right now. I am in a funk! And not the good kind of funk that makes you want to shake your booty. The other, miserable kind.

Comment

I'm into the biographies by celebreties with MS right now.

I'm currently reading Teri Garr's book, Speedbumps. I've recently read Blindsided by Richard Cohen.

In the past, I've read Climbing Higher by Montel williams and Squiggy's book.

~ Faith
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Finished and I'm reading now...

Right now: The Three Pound Enigma - a story about the human brain and the quest to unlock its mysteries

I finished Brain Matters- a true story written by a neurologist that chronicals his appointments with patients living with different brain challenges- stroke- parkinsons - ms- brain trauma - I would recommend this to anyone who wants to truely understand what their neurologist is testing for with all those funny things they ask you to do

Da Vinci Code

Comment

Originally posted by MamaBug

I'm currently reading Teri Garr's book, Speedbumps. I've recently read Blindsided by Richard Cohen.

~ Faith

I just got Teri Garr's autobiography last night. I'm heading into final exams for school so I'm not sure how far I'll get into it this month. I was wondering what you thought of hte book so far?
                      Thanks!
                      Lior
                      All your life you are told the things you cannot do. All your life they will say you're not good enough or strong enough or talented enough; they will say you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or be this or achieve this. They will tell you no, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. All your life they will tell you no, quite firmly and very quickly. AND YOU WILL TELL THEM YES.

Comment

Originally posted by leeyore13
                        I just got Teri Garr's autobiography last night. I'm heading into final exams for school so I'm not sure how far I'll get into it this month. I was wondering what you thought of hte book so far?
                        Thanks!
                        Lior
                        I'm not very far into it yet, but so far I really like it. It might be one of my favorites.

Other books by authors w/ MS that I'd like to read include:
                        • A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes: My Story by Annette Funicello
                        • Jokes My Father Never Taught Me by Rain Pryor (Richard Pryor's daughter).
                        ~ Faith
                        ~ Faith
                        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Ok so I finished " The Power of One" and it is one of the best books I have ever read! I highly recommend it.

Karen
                          " If we didn't laugh we would all go insane" Jimmy Buffett

Comment

Just finished and just started

I just finished a great book "Without Reservations" by Alice Steinbach. She traveled throughout Europe on her own as a middle-aged woman. Fun read, and inspirational!

Just started new book today - " A Fist in the Hornet's Nest" by Richard Engel.
                            He is a CNN war correspondent and it is about the Iraqi war - so far quite enlightening. I admire him a great deal.

Maureen
                            Mo Reilly
                            When the winds of changes shift, adjust your sails!

DX 2001 after Optic Neuritis Episode
                            DX 2001 with Multiple Myleoma - rare blood cancer
                            DX 2003 with Primary Progressive MS
                            Cane to Wheelchair in 3 years
                            Still dancing in my dreams!

Comment

DM you read as much as I do I thin I'm gonna start sending you my cases of books I've already read! I've been sendin cases to my momma who in turn gives them to her mail lady who gives them to her daughter LOL from then on who knows!

Since we have been here in 2 1/2 years I have ordered over 800 books!
                              One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be taken away unless it is surrendered.

Comment

I'm finally reading some old issues of Southern Living magazine ... before the Get Organized gal makes me throw them out! Who knows? I might use some of those recipes. Sure. Really. Honest. I just might! ....
                                Auntie Lori (SPMS, taking LDN since 8/04)
                                Everything in life is a trade-off.

Comment

Working...
                                X