Lentil Soup and Good Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lentil Soup and Good Site

Happy New Year! I do not eat red meat or chicken and when I was diagnosed, I gave up dairy, partly because of how lousy and clogged up I felt. I'm not that strict about anything else. Now I eat dairy very occasionally, maybe once to twice a month in the form of pizza (what else could possibly suffice???). Mostly I do try to have a heart healthy diet. Anyway, I found this wonderful recipe for lentil soup and wanted to share it as well as the source, for those interested.

https://cookieandkate.com/best-lentil-soup-recipe/

All the best, ~G

Hi Gargantua,

Thanks for sharing the lentil soup recipe.
    I’m curious to know how long you gave up dairy for and if you found it had any impact on your MS symptoms/progression.

Now that you’re back to eating Pizza occasionally, do you find you feel any differently.

=)

Comment

Thanks for the recipe.

Garantua, you might be interested in my gluten free, dairy free journey. It's really long, and divided into two threads, but you could choose which posts to read and not read the whole story. Start with the first and last post on each thread, and pick and choose which additional posts you read.

Part I - https://www.msworld.org/forum/forum/...ree-sugar-free
      Part II - https://www.msworld.org/forum/forum/...edicine-part-2
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by MC1989 View Post
        Hi Gargantua,

Thanks for sharing the lentil soup recipe.
        I’m curious to know how long you gave up dairy for and if you found it had any impact on your MS symptoms/progression.

Now that you’re back to eating Pizza occasionally, do you find you feel any differently.

=)
        Hi MC1989, Giving up dairy did reduce chronic headaches I've had all my life to nearly zero. Dairy is known to cause inflammation in some, which for me results in a buildup of fluid in my sinuses at night, leading to the headaches. The headaches sometimes turned into pain in my Optic Neuritis eye (pseudo-exacerbations). After my last actual relapse I decided to punt dairy. The headaches went away for the most part, and I have not had a relapse in the past 3 years. To me it makes sense for something that trips the immune system over (causes an allergic reaction) to cause pseudo exacerbations or even relapses maybe. My neurologist does acknowledge that everyone has personal triggers like that.

All the best, ~G

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
          Thanks for the recipe.

Garantua, you might be interested in my gluten free, dairy free journey. It's really long, and divided into two threads, but you could choose which posts to read and not read the whole story. Start with the first and last post on each thread, and pick and choose which additional posts you read.

Part I - https://www.msworld.org/forum/forum/...ree-sugar-free
          Part II - https://www.msworld.org/forum/forum/...edicine-part-2
          Hi Mama, Thank you! I have followed some of your wonderful journey. It is truly eye opening, the effect that what we put in our bodies can have. I'll keep watching - It's great that it is working so well for you, congrats!
          All the best, ~G

Comment

Originally posted by gargantua View Post

Hi MC1989, Giving up dairy did reduce chronic headaches I've had all my life to nearly zero. Dairy is known to cause inflammation in some, which for me results in a buildup of fluid in my sinuses at night, leading to the headaches. The headaches sometimes turned into pain in my Optic Neuritis eye (pseudo-exacerbations). After my last actual relapse I decided to punt dairy. The headaches went away for the most part, and I have not had a relapse in the past 3 years. To me it makes sense for something that trips the immune system over (causes an allergic reaction) to cause pseudo exacerbations or even relapses maybe. My neurologist does acknowledge that everyone has personal triggers like that.
            Oops, in addition to my last response to you MC1989, I can get away with a little dairy, and sometimes the next day I do feel funky. So I don't do it too often. Butter is ok and so is parmaesan because those both are lighter on the whey protein. Yogurt, fatty cheeses and super creamy stuff I don't do. There is enough decadent plant-based stuff now that I don't miss it too much. Cheers.
            All the best, ~G

Comment

Thanks for your reply! I went dairy free for 10 months and then 3 weeks ago caved and had some pizza. I told myself it would just be that once, but since then I’ve had pizza 3 times and a milk chocolate bar and some goldfish crackers. Needless to say I think I’m and all or nothing kind of person and now it’s out of control. Lol. I don’t feel any worse, so I’m thinking maybe dairy doesn’t have an effect on my everyday symptoms but I’m wondering if it has an effect on progression.

I’ve spoken with 2 neurologists who don’t seem to think dairy has any effect on disease, but they also don’t think food has much of an effect and that as long as I am taking a treatment I should enjoy my life and whatever food I like.

Very happy to hear that you’re headaches have gotten better by cutting it out!

Comment

Originally posted by MC1989 View Post
                I don't feel any worse, so I'm thinking maybe dairy doesn’t have an effect on my everyday symptoms but I’m wondering if it has an effect on progression.

I've spoken with 2 neurologists who don' seem to think dairy has any effect on disease, but they also don't think food has much of an effect and that as long as I am taking a treatment I should enjoy my life and whatever food I like.

Very happy to hear that you're headaches have gotten better by cutting it out!
                Traditional doctors and neuros don't tend to believe that diet plays much role in MS or chronic illnesses. Functional medicine doctors disagree.

I've been gluten free, dairy free, and more for 2-3 years. I, also, don't tend to notice a difference in every day symptoms, but it has made a definite difference in slowing my progression. I'm currently in SPMS and my progression had been somewhat out of control for several years prior to making these changes.

I know that giving up dairy (especially cheese!) is hard. My functional medicine doctor says cheese is as addictive as morphine. So, I just went the all-or-nothing route. I'd encourage you to consider it again.

~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Traditional doctors and neuros don't tend to believe that diet plays much role in MS or chronic illnesses. Functional medicine doctors disagree.
                  There are interesting studies being done on chronic disease and the human genome, microbiome, and diet. Some are being done in partnership with the UCSF research hospital and its MS clinic. This makes me very hopeful that medical doctors will soon be steering patients toward diet choices that might help with their conditions. I don't think diet can be prescribed based on chronic condition other than generally saying a heart healthy diet could help heart patients and diabetes patients, because there is so much conclusive information about that. I think people might be prescribed preventative diets, in the future, based on their genome.
                  All the best, ~G

Comment

Working...
                  X