Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
    You probably shared this in a previous post, but please refresh my memory:
    Where did you find this trainer? A physical therapist? A personal trainer from a gym?

Mamabug,

In '08 (year of my dx), after an ok from Neuro to continue with exercise, I joined a gym.

Maybe 3 years solo at gym, I noticed a new trainer, with clipboard, etc. & watched her with clients for 2 years (?)

She was knowledgeable, dedicated to training (no wasted babble), and most of all compassionate.

Her card states: certified Silver Sneaker instructor, a MASTER Fitness Trainer, a certified personal Trainer, and something regarding nutrition, plus an LPN.

Since I believe there aren't coincidences... I thank God for her in my life at the right time.

J

Comment

KoKo.

I don't have a band at home but will make note to remember maker.

It's funny KoKo, but the handles on the band have the makers name, but they are being removed to adapt the band to my version of wearable foot-drop device...

More to come!

Jer

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
        Mamabug,

In '08 (year of my dx), after an ok from Neuro to continue with exercise, I joined a gym.

Maybe 3 years solo at gym, I noticed a new trainer, with clipboard, etc. & watched her with clients for 2 years (?)

She was knowledgeable, dedicated to training (no wasted babble), and most of all compassionate.

Her card states: certified Silver Sneaker instructor, a MASTER Fitness Trainer, a certified personal Trainer, and something regarding nutrition, plus an LPN.

Since I believe there aren't coincidences... I thank God for her in my life at the right time.

J
        Hmmm. I'd never thought much about using a personal trainer until I've been reading your posts. The local Rec Center director does personal training. She's already pretty aware of my MS challenges. She's also a certified Silver Sneakers instructor. Maybe I should think about looking into some personal training.

I'm already spending money on so many other self-care things, though. I'll have to think about it.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

KoKo.

It's funny KoKo, but the handles on the band have the makers name, but they are being removed to adapt the band to my version of wearable foot-drop device...

More to come!

Jer
          Ok Jer, thanks!
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hmmm. I'd never thought much about using a personal trainer until I've been reading your posts. The local Rec Center director does personal training. She's already pretty aware of my MS challenges. She's also a certified Silver Sneakers instructor. Maybe I should think about looking into some personal training.

I'm already spending money on so many other self-care things, though. I'll have to think about it.
            Mamabug,

Many here may note or warn an MSer to get PT from a trainer who has considerable knowledge of MS.

May be good advice, but... we learned together although she bought a few MS books too. And we really communicate, what do you feel? where do you feel? Even suggested using a video to explain why this or that approach to an exercise.

The books established a benchmark. But my abilities, at the time, surpassed the parameters that an MS trained PT may be confined to work within (my thinking here).

Over time, more loss here and some gain there, but I try with an occasional reward.

And I am still walking without assistance! Poorly, I admit, but the "band thing" really has promise compared to other orthotics I have tried. An honest 100% improvement for me... for my MS which is mainly drop-foot + muscle loss.

I spend no funds on any DMTs or any drugs at all. I try to eat intelligently but don't care about an occasional piece of cake or a Gibson before dinner, so the trainer gets my $ and I get the satisfaction of making the effort a personal one. I've got skin in the game.

Life is good!

Oh, I tried the Botox injections (my only drug, if it is even considered a drug?) but the jury is still out. Arm only, no legs.

Comment

That's all helpful information, Jer. I'll process it for awhile before I do anything.

My meds (Copaxone) are free. But I'm paying for other services that I've decided are important for my self care -- functional medicine, kinesiology, acupuncture, etc.

A personal trainer does interest me, though.
              ~ Faith
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

my self care -- acupuncture

Mamabug,

Quick true story-

Late '70s, NYC, I took an illustrator to a nice lunch, after which I went for a cigarette.

Elaine surprised me by asking for one. I knew she had quit. In fact she had acupuncture, a small staple in earlobe area.

I offered her the cigarette asking what happened?

"Well, it (acupuncture) works, it makes the cigarette taste terrible! But you get use to it."

Comment

I offered her the cigarette asking what happened?

"Well, it (acupuncture) works, it makes the cigarette taste terrible! But you get use to it."
                  ... Why would she want to get used to it?
                  ~ Faith
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

... Why would she want to get used to it?

Hi Mamabug,

Guess the humor was lost.

The post was edited after I submitted my version. The "terrible" was inserted. My original version (Cloaked in a few keyboard symbols, suggested a common explicative).

The edit left the story "flat," no humorous or emphatic effect....

Nietzsche once said that he who has a why to live for can bear almost any how.

Someone addicted to cigarettes, in this case, wouldn't care if they tasted like... "terrible"

Hopefully this explanation will not be edited further. Like the original it is submitted in good faith, hoping to raise a chuckle.

Jer

Comment

The post was edited after I submitted my version. The "terrible" was inserted. My original version (Cloaked in a few keyboard symbols, suggested a common explicative).
                      Jer

Really didn't want to change your version, but the guidelines are what they are, at this time.

Disguised profanity is also prohibited. Note: Disguised Profanity includes but is not limited to adding symbols such as “*” in place of letters in the wording.

Anyways, I got the humor, even with the word terrible. The nicotine buzz is well worth putting up with awful tasting cigs, when you're addicted.

Take Care
                      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                        Jer Really didn't want to change your version, but the guidelines are what they are, at this time.

Hey Koko!

Thanks for letting me know. I remember reading l o n g ago, guess a reread is in order. How about a redacted version? It's the latest craze!

redacted; to edit (text) for publication. to censor or obscure (a part of a text) for legal or security purposes.

Similar but not quite.....?! Guess not.

Another attempt at humor. Not very funny in our PC world.

Comment

Hey Jer

How about a redacted version? It's the latest craze!
                          I get what you're saying! (I do follow current political happenings in the news.)

If there was a black rectangle block symbol on my keyboard, I could have just redacted your "bad word" symbols.

Take Care

Comment

KoKo.

Hi Koko,

The maker ob the bands I am working with is SPRI. The resistance of the bands is color coded from light to maximum, in 5 stages (yellow, green, red, blue, purple). The elastic is a tube with the diameter increasing with the resistance.

We are adapting the red band by removing the hard rubber / plastic handles. The elastic then has a loop of woven fabric on each end. So I have drop foot on right side and a shorter leg with spasticity....

Holding one loop forward at roughly the 3 or 4 o'clock position wrap remainder clockwise around waist.

Insert through held loop. Drop down leg in a clockwise direction (goes around rear of thigh).

Loop will come toward front of leg above inside ankle. Stretch band and place loop on foot. Insert a hard plastic arch support between foot and loop.

Lace foot into a high top sneaker for ankle support. The band gives me just enough "lift" to avoid stumbling. And the lift part of the arch support protects & helps when walking to land heel first or at least flatfooted.

This can and will be improved upon, but right now it is a simple one piece solution.

Jer

You may want to wrap parts of loop / band that come into contact with flesh if there is irritation. And your hight may have to be taken into account.

Comment

Hi Koko,

The maker ob the bands I am working with is SPRI. The resistance of the bands is color coded from light to maximum, in 5 stages (yellow, green, red, blue, purple). The elastic is a tube with the diameter increasing with the resistance.

We are adapting the red band by removing the hard rubber / plastic handles. The elastic then has a loop of woven fabric on each end. So I have drop foot on right side and a shorter leg with spasticity....

Holding one loop forward at roughly the 3 or 4 o'clock position wrap remainder clockwise around waist.

Insert through held loop. Drop down leg in a clockwise direction (goes around rear of thigh).

Loop will come toward front of leg above inside ankle. Stretch band and place loop on foot. Insert a hard plastic arch support between foot and loop.

Lace foot into a high top sneaker for ankle support. The band gives me just enough "lift" to avoid stumbling. And the lift part of the arch support protects & helps when walking to land heel first or at least flatfooted.

This can and will be improved upon, but right now it is a simple one piece solution.

Jer

You may want to wrap parts of loop / band that come into contact with flesh if there is irritation. And your hight may have to be taken into account.
                              Thank you Jer - just checked and Amazon does have them.

I'll have to explore how the bands can be useful to me.

Good luck with your new foot lift device!

Take Care

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                                Good luck with your new foot lift device!
                                Koko,

After posting the name of the resistance band maker I visited their web site. There are a lot more variations of the bands available than the few at my gym.

I think that a closer inspection of these variations and their flexibilities may allow for a better device than my "jimmy-riged" variation! You may want to visit first.

Should have went there initially! Sigh.

Jer

Comment

Working...
                                X