Muscle cramping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muscle cramping

I am in the middle of a MS flare and it started with a muscle cramp in my arm like getting a charlie horse.. just out of the blue. In the 23 years of having MS, I never had muscle spasms like this.. but that's MS for you.. anyway.. the cramping got worse in hands, feet, legs and arms.. use Xanax for anxiety so Neuro said to take that when they come.

After a few weeks on Prednisone, they went away.. but now on a lower dose they are back!! Wondering if you have any advice.. when I stretch out my legs I can feel the "charlie horse" feeling and have to stop! I'm not low on potassium that is checked all the time and its normal. I'm not dehydrated.. I drink a lot of water and tea.. do you think something like Ibuprofen would be okay. I take Hydrocodone already every 4 hours for the chronic MS pain I've had forever and that does not help these spasms. Maybe the Advil with that?

I see a PT, but we can't do anything for strengthening right now because I'm too weak and then these spasms returned. So he told me to try to exercise when I can but not overdo! Just to keep my strength up so when I am out of flare, I can work on the strengthening again. Was doing yoga twice a week before this flare in January! Uggh.. making me crazy. I don't really want more meds, but I'd try advil if you thought it would help?? Or any other ideas you can think of!!

If your having spasms are you on a spasticity medicine? Advil isn't a spasticity medicine. Maybe if you can block the spasms with a spasm medicine you won't have so much pain and won't need so much pain medicine?

Comment

I have always taken Baclofen before bed, but can't during the day. Makes me too tired. The doctor said the Xanax is also a muscle relaxant so it was all right to use that when it comes to help. Last night we ran some errands and I used a cart to walk around and by the time we got home, my cramping felt a lot better. I wonder if its all this sitting around thats making it worse..

Comment

Hi rickalex2,

Exercise can help with spasticity/muscle spasms. Xanax, as well as the other Benzodiazepines are muscle relaxants and can help with spasticity/muscle spasms.

Sitting around isn't necessarily the best thing for those with MS. If you are able to get up and move around the please do so
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi rickalex2,

Dealing with spasticity -an increase in muscle tone- can cause jerking , cramping, stiffness, and other symptoms.
          Cramping is an involuntary contracted muscle that doesn't relax.

Rest cramps can occur, especially during the night

Dehydration can cause cramping, so staying hydrated and having good nutrition is important

Stretching is very helpful. It provides lengthening to the muscle which can help reduce spasticity. Stretching in morning and before bed is recommended.

Exercise is also important to maintain/increase strength, prevent/limit muscle atrophy, maintain/improve range of motion, and improve overall endurance.

I always suggest talking with your doctor about medication, many can be helpful. Another suggestion is to have lab work done - Sometimes low potassium (although more associated with muscle weakness), low calcium and magnesium can cause muscle cramps.

I hope this helps.
          Be Well,
          Susan

Comment

Originally posted by SusanD View Post
            Hi rickalex2,

Dealing with spasticity -an increase in muscle tone- can cause jerking , cramping, stiffness, and other symptoms.
            Cramping is an involuntary contracted muscle that doesn't relax.

Rest cramps can occur, especially during the night

Dehydration can cause cramping, so staying hydrated and having good nutrition is important

Stretching is very helpful. It provides lengthening to the muscle which can help reduce spasticity. Stretching in morning and before bed is recommended.

Exercise is also important to maintain/increase strength, prevent/limit muscle atrophy, maintain/improve range of motion, and improve overall endurance.

I always suggest talking with your doctor about medication, many can be helpful. Another suggestion is to have lab work done - Sometimes low potassium (although more associated with muscle weakness), low calcium and magnesium can cause muscle cramps.

I hope this helps.
            Thanks Susan... I have had all the blood tests and I have had low potassium for the last 3 years but have been taking 13 potassium tablets daily (10 MEQ) and have kept my levels normal. They are just now realizing it might have been from the Tysabri treatments I was doing the last 4 years since I had to go off of it 3 months ago when I became JCV positive and suddenly my potassium levels are going up so I can now reduce to 11 tablets a day! Yay! But long story short.. its not the potassium right now. And all my other levels on everything else have always been perfect.

Dehydration is definitely not a problem either. I have a water cooler in the kitchen so I drink lots of water and tea. (Non-caffeinated)... I do believe you are right on trying to get exercise to keep what muscle I still have okay.. which isn't easy since I'm using a cane at the moment.. but I noticed when I'm at stores and use the carts, I feel better when I get home (muscle wise)... I'm usually tired! But the spasms seem less! However, I'm alone all day and don't like to do things alone in case I would fall. Plus I live in Wisconsin so I can't go outside and walk right now because we have a foot of snow and there is ice everywhere... sigh~

I also get nervous about exercising even in the house when I'm alone. Here's the other thing... sigh~ Whenever I try to stretch out my legs each morning I start feeling that charlie horse in the back of my legs and have to stop immediately! Maybe there are lighter stretches I could be doing? Gosh.. I feel like a mess! My doctors always say I am a mystery case. Nothing with me is ever "normal".. Laughing~

Comment

Hey rickalex2, I think you're terrific! You're on top of things, asking questions and doing what you can.

I certainly understand your exercise concerns. Try doing some sitting in a chair and lying in bed.

Here are a few suggestions

Chair - with back support; arm rests as needed but may restrict range
              Raising arms one at a time in sets with repetitions. Your endurance and strength will determine sets and reps.
              Start without any weight. You want to move arms in all planes = up/down; in/out
              Elbows- Bend/straighten Wrists: Up/down, Forearm: rotate palm up/down - can also do with fist
              Hands: Open/close

For Knees; move forward in chair- straighten leg(kick out)/relax
              Do without shoes with difficulty. Shoes are added weight.
              You can face chair to wall and kick out to wall where it gives a little resistance- hold 5 seconds while pushing/relax

Hold a weight -you can use a soup can as a weight.
              Other weights can be small dumbbells, weights with velcro strap for wrist and ankle. Start with light weights if able to do so.
              Practice sit to stand with sturdy chair/arm rest for safety but not to be used if possible. Ideally do exercise with arms at side or across chest

In bed One leg at a time:
              On back: Lift/ Relax; Out/In (slide as needed or lift slightly if possible)
              On side: lift/ relax; Bend bottom leg for support. Do both sides
              you don't need weights but if you want to, use velcro ones, also compare doing exercises with and without shoes

Hope these help! Keep me posted
              Be Well,
              Susan

Comment

Working...
              X