Getting up from floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting up from floor

I do exercises and stretches on the floor. I can no longer get myself back up to my couch after doing them. My husband lifts me to a standing position so I can walk back with my rollator. Often I'm tired out and I'm dead weight. He strained his back a little yesterday, so I'm wondering about an easier way to get up. Are there some kind of aids to do this? If I ever fall, I'm in the same boat. Any ideas would be appreciated.

When I exercise and stretch on the floor, I make sure there are plenty of chairs, tables, anything, that I can "climb". I usually have a chair nearby that I will sit on when I'm finished to rest a bit.

But how to get up from the floor is a good question. I've taken a couple of falls, and luckily my husband was there to help. But how would I manage if he wasn't?

Comment

I have a Hoyer Lift that will lift me from the floor. It saves my husbands back and others can lift if need be if he is not around -- thank goodness i do not fall a terrible lot but enough to need something to make it easier on the caregivers.

Comment

Originally posted by nkh18 View Post
        I do exercises and stretches on the floor. I can no longer get myself back up to my couch after doing them. My husband lifts me to a standing position so I can walk back with my rollator. Often I'm tired out and I'm dead weight. He strained his back a little yesterday, so I'm wondering about an easier way to get up. Are there some kind of aids to do this? If I ever fall, I'm in the same boat. Any ideas would be appreciated.
        I have the same problem. Boy I sure found out one thing that can work if you are strong enough. I'm not that strong but I couldn't stay on the floor all day when I fell and I was home alone. I had to crawl on my butt because I can't on my knees, to the couch, in a sitting position on the floor ,backwards against the couch, put my arms back on each cushion and heave myself up. Took A few tries mind you but it worked. Then I laid there for awhile and swore a bit, lol. but was thankful i made it up. Let me know if that helps, i also am and was curious what other people do. I used to be able to excercise on the floor but now i have to do it on my bed.

Comment

purchased portable massage table to bring the floor "up" to a level I can handle not expensive and very helpful for daily exercise and stretches
          [I]Tellnhelen
          Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

When times are hard for me to get off the floor especially after stretching or exercising, I do what I can on the bed or couch or even sitting on a chair. I just have to think outside the box a little

I also put simple exercise pieces (dumbbell, theraband, and stepper) by the couch for easy access and use.

It's not worth the risk for me or someone else to get me up.

You can have items to pull up on but truthfully, pulling up isn't the best to do either.
            Be Well,
            Susan

Comment

Originally posted by SusanD View Post
              You can have items to pull up on but truthfully, pulling up isn't the best to do either.
              Susan, as the OT expert here, what do you propose as the best way to get up off the floor when none of the options are good?

Comment

Most of the time I find myself laying on the floor, I didn't intend to be there.
                Is there a better way to get up if, for example, we fell?

Comment

I specifically had my physical therapist teach me how to get up from the floor, or from the ground after a fall.

Basically, you crawl over to any stable object, even a wall.
                  Then from a kneeling position, lift one leg and place its foot on the floor in front of you . Then, using the stable surface to hold onto, PUSH yourself up by straightening the front leg.

My PT had me practice this again, and again. We did it both with a stable object to hold onto and without, using just a cane!

This is a no-fail method for me. It may work differently for others. Good luck!

Comment

Thank you NYJenn, that is the training provided by PT

I personally have used the technique where I was next to a counter - held on with one hand for stability, pushed from floor with other to get stronger leg placed with foot flat, then slid weaker leg to position where I could push on knee to straighten leg, & stood upright

Stay in same place with support (counter, wall etc) for time needed to get steady and re-focused
                    Be Well,
                    Susan

Comment

sherp

Funny I start wiyh my weak foot/leg down and push up with the better leg.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I used to be able to crawl to the couch and with one foot flat, push up. I no longer can do that, so will use your ideas until I can get strength back to do that again. I like the idea of practicing with a PT.

Comment

The only thing I can do (and I did it yesterday!) is push the button hanging around my neck and get the firemen to come. Live alone in an adult community and every one is old and have weak backs.

Comment

Working...
                          X