Functional assessment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Functional assessment

I'm wondering the best way to describe how the symptoms such as fatigue, stiff and painful arms and hands,lack of concentration ,fatigeability,and difficulty retrieving new info, affects work performance?( teaching).
    Is there a functional work assessment an OT could help with. My own doc is very supportive of applying for LTD but I feel my new neuro believes if you can walk and talk, you can work!
    He said he would include these " subjective " symptoms in his letter. I do have a physio letter but it does not address impact on working in a school.
    Thought there might be a good way to present them on a type of functional assessment.

Assessments

I have encountered a doctor's interpretation of 'function' when it comes to the ability to work or even treat symptoms. They, like many other people, may judge people with MS because they look well, complain about symptoms that cannot be seen or interpreted, or think just because you went away for a weekend all can't be that bad.

OT's have tests for cognition that can be scored by performance. The assessment tool for fatigue is The Fatigue Severity Scale (FSS) which consists of a series of nine questions that address how fatigue impacts the client's daily life and activities.
    Pain level is assessed by subjective pain scale.

Going to OT not only documents the information, but can also provide intervention and education for improvement opportunities and/or compensatory techniques.

I suggest getting a prescription for occupational therapy from your doctor. I would also start to journal how these symptoms impact your daily performance - at work, home, kids etc. Give as many examples as you can. Are there safety concerns for you and/or kids? Does it affect your sleep? etc

Sharing as much information in a clear, concise way can help others understand.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.
    Be Well,
    Susan

Comment

Thank-you Susan,

Your reply has been very helpful. I will get an OT referral and start documenting symptoms more carefully. I will let you know how this all works out.

Thanks again!!!

Comment

Is this the same as a Neuro Psych evaluation?

Comment

I regularly see a Neuro Psych and I have taken one long exam which the neuro site of where I go to administered; which the results said that I may have problems.

duh... That is what this disease does...

But I need documentation of anything and everything since I have a very spiteful ex-wife who is now pursuing every legal maneuver possible. What sort of documentation would offer the best means of establishing a sort of "defense" that a parent would need; she intends to use the children as pawns in this battle.

Comment

A neuro-psychologist evaluates cognitive functioning and determines degrees of cognitive impairment. This is done through standardize testing.

The OT will assess any issues and deficits upon evaluation. Each treatment plan is individualized and the person will be engaged in purposeful activities to promote functional skills for home, work, community and self care. If there are any cognitive areas that the OT would not be able to address, then additional services would be recommended/provided.
            Be Well,
            Susan

Comment

Working...
            X