Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever heard of MCFAs? Is this saturated fat better for you--or still not healthy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever heard of MCFAs? Is this saturated fat better for you--or still not healthy?

Hello all....I just realized that my 'SO Delicious' yogurt made with coconut milk has 3.5 grams of saturated fat per serving (4 oz)...and I am sure I eat more than this in one serving. I am trying to be dairy and soy free so the coconut milk yogurt seemed like a great idea, but I am also trying to keep my saturated fat intake low as well.

The side of the container says with a footnote on the 3.5 grams of sat fat, that this is comprised of 65% medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs). Does this disclosure make this particular saturated fat healthier?? OR does it still count towards my saturated fat intake. I don't want to waste 3.5 grams on yogurt if I don't have to. I can think of much yummier ways to spend my minimal saturated fat grams

Thanks for reading
    Marleigh

The fat in coconut products is controversial, unfortunately. Most "mainstream" authorities consider it to be just another saturated fat, and therefore not good for you.

However, there's considerable evidence that MCFAs are metabolized differently in the body, and are in fact healthful. If you do a search for coconut oil on this forum, specifying posts rather than threads, you should find some good info including Tara's own position on the subject.

For what it's worth, I use coconut oil myself (in addition to extra virgin olive oil and flaxseed oil).

Comment

MCTs medium-chain triglycerides, MCFA's same thing.
      2/3 the saturated fat in coconut oil is a MCT Fat: 10 carbons in length. Whilst the saturated fat in animal fat, arachidonic acid, is 20 carbons in length. Coconut oil (MCT) is directly absorbed into the bloodstream; it bypasses liver metabolism. Arachidonic acid has to pass through the liver and be "taken apart" to be utilized. AA is a precursor in the production of prostaglandin 2s which are inflammatory. Coconut oil is not involved in the prostaglandin pathway.
      NutritionTara
      Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
      X