Paleo diet, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paleo diet, anyone?

Just curious if anyone else here is following a paleo/primal diet to heal MS?
    I have been for a little over a year now, and have seen a total dissapearance of ALL my MS symptoms and no relapses! I also take LDN, kind of as a "back up" since there really are no side effects.
    I'd love to hear if anyone here is interested in this type of diet and lifestyle.

Hello sieren, and welcome to MSWorld!

If you do a search for Paleo Diet, you should find quite a few posts on the subject here in Tara's Nutrition & Supplement forum.

There are also discussions of the Best Bet Diet and the MS Recovery Diet, which are similar to the Paleo Diet.

Comment

Hi Sieren, and welcome to MSWorld!

I’m happy you are doing so great on it and taking a MDM along with a health diet is a smart move.

Although there are many good parts to the diet, as well as all the other MS diets.
      I prefer I individualistic approach to diet, just like MS is different with every one is their dietary needs. Also people did not live nearly as long 100s of years ago, and our activity, stress and living conditions are not at all to same. So the notion that humans diet can not and should be improved, is a joke.
      Look at how health spices are, yet the bad one salt was the only one widely used by most people.
      And most of the world did not drink green tea, but yet it is health for every body. More so for MSers because it suppresses the inflammatory autoimmune response.

I prefer creating my own diet based on what I find beneficial for me and what I understand and agree with the reasoning. So basically I take from several diets, here is a list of diets I think should be considered and mixed together the one the you feel will help.

If some-one has celiac disease then a gluten free diet is in order, if not it is not.
      MS being a inflammatory disease and anti-inflammatory diet is in order for all of us MSers.
      If your HDL/LDL levels are undesirable then a HDL/LDL diet is in order.
      A high antioxidant diet is good for every one I feel.
      With any health issue you have odds are there is a diet for, just web search “the disease name

A the cool thing is that most of the stuff in diets are the same stuff, fish, fruits, veggies, tree nuts, olive oil, canola oil, garlic and etc.
      Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

If some-one has celiac disease then a gluten free diet is in order, if not it is not.
        The Best Bet Diet and the MS Recovery Diet both take the position that eliminating gluten is important for all people with MS. Tara, our well-qualified nutritional advisor on this forum, also recommends a gluten-free diet.

It isn't necessary to have Celiac disease to be adversely affected by gluten, nor is it necessary to have a frank allergy to wheat. It's enough to be sensitive to gluten, since food sensitivities can and do cause an inflammatory response in the body.

(I don't mean to argue with you here, Sir-Voor. You have a right to your opinion. I'm just trying to keep the discussion balanced.)

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
          It's enough to be sensitive to gluten, since food sensitivities can and do cause an inflammatory response in the body.
          That make sense, I most admit I don’t fully understand what gluten does and really I’m still fair new and still learning all the diet stuff.

(I don't mean to argue with you here, Sir-Voor. You have a right to your opinion. I'm just trying to keep the discussion balanced.)
          And in no way see any one’s post stating a opinion as argumentative.

Correct me if I have this wrong or missing something;
          1. Gluten and celiac disease will block B12 abortion, and don’t know if being sensitive will cause gluten to block B12 abortion.
          2. The gluten inflammatory response is only bad if it leaves the stomach and gets into the blood system.
          Having leaky gut put the risk of gluten leaking into the blood system is much higher.

Just like and all foods I think it is best not to have it too often, and although I have not gone 100% gluten free. Having it ever meal is something no one should do.

I’m guessing cutting down to gluten foods a one or twice a week for healthy gut person is a reasonable risk for me to take, not that I’m recommending just being honest.

I would not take the risk if not for the fact that I feel I would not be able to stay with such a diet for long, and one requirement for diet guidelines is that it needs to be one a can stay with for life.
          So it is my own personal weakness.
          Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Hopefully Tara will come along, see this thread, and comment on your questions.

I wish I could, but I'm no expert myself!

I do remember, though, that Tara says it's not enough to cut back on gluten. I haven't read anywhere else, either, that cutting back is particularly helpful.

Working from memory again, I think Tara would probably say that the best way to determine how gluten affects you is to eliminate it entirely from your diet for an extended period of time, then "challenge" yourself by reintroducing it. Doing that (if you're so inclined) would do a couple of things for you: tell you if you're likely to be sensitive, and give you a finite-period trial run on eating gluten-free to see if you really can't (or can) handle it.

Comment

The Best Bet Diet and the MS Recovery Diet both take the position that eliminating gluten is important for all people with MS. Tara, our well-qualified nutritional advisor on this forum, also recommends a gluten-free diet.

It isn't necessary to have Celiac disease to be adversely affected by gluten, nor is it necessary to have a frank allergy to wheat. It's enough to be sensitive to gluten, since food sensitivities can and do cause an inflammatory response in the body.

I think Sir's on to something. We're all unique and its up to us to figure how to eat right- for us.
              I started to read this thread because I "kinda" follow something that uses the same thought process of a primal diet. It took me about five years to work the kinks out of it and fine-tune it.
              In my case, and I'm not saying its right for anyone else , I eat one balanced meal a day. Mostly veggies with a serving of meat no larger than the palm of my hand. Lots of water during the day (it helps keep me regular due to an RX), at least three liters or so. Coffee and tea as well. Maybe some crackers to snack on at night.
              I based all of this on not being as active as I used to be. I just don't need as many calories as I used to.

Comment

In response to "a little gluten" the "gold" standard which admittedly is about ~40% inaccurate (I don't know what the numbers are for sure now, IDcare):: the patient is told to have the biopsy performed 6 weeks after eating gluten.
                Translated means: the HEIGHT of the damage from gluten/gliadin takes 6 weeks to fully manifest. Which means if you eat gluten at that pizza party, or birthday cake or holiday cookies; you gut is pretty much damaged all year long. There's no such thing as a little gluten.
                Do a challenge; 60 days minimum and then test yourself. The Test: AFTER 60 DAYS, weigh yourself in the morning, eat a serving of gluten at lunchtime and weigh yourself the next day. Usually there is a weight gain 2-3 up to 13 pounds or more is my clinical experience . Also if you have truly obstained for 60 days you will have significant symptoms: diarrhea, pain, fog, low energy, etc...... In 2,000+ clients this has NEVER failed to convince someone. They don't necessarily stay gluten free (most of them do) but thats their stupidity.
                NutritionTara
                Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Sir-Voor, its the chicken and the egg question. Does gliadin enter the blood through a leaky gut? or does gliadin cause a leaky gut?
                  Gluten causes malabsorption of many vitamins and minerals. Originally recognized as "failure to thrive" in children: started when they shifted away from cultural starches when we, Americans, dropped white flour into their villages.
                  NutritionTara
                  Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
                  X