How do I gain weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I gain weight?

I'm at least 25 pounds under weight. A lot is due to lost muscle mass but overall its from everywhere. I can only do so much to build muscle mass but would like some efficient ways to gain weight.
    Steve
    sometimes you can't make it on your own

This sounds at first like it should be easy. I'm guessing its not.

What are your mobility issues?

What kinds of RX are you taking?

Are we talking Charles Atlas stuff? What are you looking to target?

You might want to check with a local coach (college or even H.S.). They should know the basics although you really should check with your Dr. first.

Comment

If I had time, energy and physical endurance to work out in order to gain muscle mass, I would do more, but even when I could do more it was not easy to gain much. I've always been thin. I eat a lot but its not enough, I hardly eat a diet for not gaining weight so I'm thinking I need a very high calorie food that doesn't just fill me up first.
      Steve

Comment

Do you eat a lot of high calorie foods that are also high in "good" fats (ex: avacado, nuts, olive oil,etc.)?

Comment

I saw this and had to reply with Some humor.... Do you want my weight I am about 100lbs over weight...we can trade lol ....good luck

Comment

@sonotemo: yeah I've had lots of volunteers to donate

@CocoH: I do eat those type foods, obviously not enough. I tend to get full quickly which minimizes the impact of meals. I do think just a more constant snacking of things like nuts throughout the day could help.
            Steve

Comment

There is a lot of good and bad sites on “muscle atrophy recovery” when you goggle it, so be careful. And personally I would not buy into the quick and easy fixes.

I'm thinking your goal really needs to be on muscle recovery and not reaching a set weight, your doctor should be the one to tell if you body fat level needs adjusting.

On diet it seems complete proteins helps repair muscles. (eggs are a source, for your need I don’t know if you should be eating white, yolks or both)
              Also fish and beans are good sources for proteins.
              Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Inflammation induces insulin resistance, and insulin resistance can push the body to use more and more fat and muscle for it's energy requirements.

I don't know what is causing your muscle loss, but to rule out insulin resistance you can try some supplements known to help with that. Lipoic acid and Cinnamon are good to try.

Ran

Comment

go to ms activesorce web site they have a free cd with exercises based on your mobility including if you can only do them sitting.

Also have you been checked for thyroid levels , I also lost alot of weight in the past year 90 lbs, I was eating 3-4000 calorie diet and wan't putting on a pound. my thyroid was out of wack, they put me on meds and I have gained 24 lbs in 6 weeks. I was down to 104 at one point am a 5' 8" male, my 18 year old daughter hated me as I weighed less than her.
                  Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Gaining weight

Hi Steve,
                    every person is different, meant from the nature with a different constitution. Some can gain weight just by looking at the food, some can take a lot of food and even loosing the weight.
                    The less weight can be your nature, but also a sign of an unatural lifestyle, noorishment, a.s.o.
                    A belly massage would help you to increase your digestion feuer and on that depends your general health. If somebody can do a 5 min massage every morning would be helpful. I have also the same problem, so I checked myself in different way. From my experience to take too much food is not the solution, because your digestion power will become more weak. It is like on a small fire you would put a lot of wood pieces (you know what will happen...). It will help not to overfill your stomach. Drink enough during the day. To masticate long time the food in your mouth, till it will become fluid (that will be much easier to assimilate). Go earlier to bed (before 10 pm). Try to relax as much as possible, to avoid stress, to develope more awareness for your body...
                    But first of all, check it with your doctor if any internal problem is there or not.
                    I think for the first it will be enough...
                    Have a nice day!
                    All the best

Originally posted by skreynolds57 View Post
                    I'm at least 25 pounds under weight. A lot is due to lost muscle mass but overall its from everywhere. I can only do so much to build muscle mass but would like some efficient ways to gain weight.

Comment

Many of the answers are good for general weight gain. However, that doesn't seem to be your problem, you have lost muscle mass, not just weight. The Active Source CD may be a good way to go, I will have to look at it. I have the same problem, I have lost 25-30 pounds of muscle mass. Have gained a lot back, but it is not muscle. Lots to work on.
                      Bill
                      Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Hey Skreynolds; Have you tried a high proteen diet?

I am a man with MS that has had trouble with loosing weight.
                        I have lost about 35 lbs since being dx (12 years). The problem was I only needed to loose about 10 lbs.

I am 5'11" tall and about 5-6 years ago I was down to 143 lbs.
                        After experimenting with my diet and strength training I have managed to stay between 155 lbs and 165 lbs. (I loose weight when I can't eat)

My diet is very heavy in proteen (lots of meat and eggs).
                        No gluten/ no lactose/ no high fat junk food/ no soda or empty calories.

Short bursts of strenous exercise. (pull ups, pushups, stairs,squats, jump rope, short sets with heavy weights, etc) What ever you can manage is good for you, just stop before you become hot. Rest, cool down and hit it again with another short burst but always quit before you get hot.

This has left me still thin but with a very good power to weight ratio. Being in this condition seems to increase my stamina and help me recover from clumsey miss steps that happen often.

@ 5'11" and 160lbs I am still skinny but I am in pretty good shape and not carring any body fat seems to lessen fatigue.

So my long winded advise is; try a high proteen/ low fat diet. It may boost your energy and give you back some muscle mass.

I have no medical training. All of my information is from living with a similar condition and personal experiments.
                        (seems to work for me but I make no claims to be an expert about anything.)

Comment

Working...
                        X