Clinical trials showing 2 diets help with MS fatigue and QOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clinical trials showing 2 diets help with MS fatigue and QOL

Researchers from the University of Iowa have published results from a National MS Society-funded, 36-week controlled clinical trial studying the effects of the Swank (low saturated fat diet) and the Wahls elimination (modified Paleolithic) diets on measures of fatigue and other physical and mental health tests in people with relapsing-remitting MS who were experiencing ongoing fatigue.

Both groups showed significant reductions in fatigue, and improvements in quality of life, indicating the benefits of healthy eating for MS.

“It’s encouraging that fatigue was reduced and quality of life improved in both groups,” says Bruce Bebo, PhD, Executive Vice President of Research for the National MS Society. “This well-conducted study shows that a healthy diet is one pathway to restoring function in people with MS.”

READ MORE:

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Ab...g1&CampaignID=

1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Does anyone follow either of these 2 diets and find it makes a significant difference in your fatigue level or your quality of life?
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I sort of follow the Wahls Protocol. I'm very careful about gluten. I'm pretty careful about dairy; the only dairy I eat is occasional small amounts of stevia sweetened milk chocolate and I imagine some restaurant food has butter in it. I don't avoid sugar 100%, but I don't eat a lot.

However, I haven't been as intentional about eating the 6-9 vegetables daily in Phase I and I don't really follow Phases 2 or 3.

Prior to the pandemic, I noticed a definite halt in progression from 2018 to 2020. I'm in SPMS and, for a number of years prior to beginning Wahls, I'd observed definite progression which alarmed me. I'd been eating a fairly health SAD (Standard North American Diet) and exercising regularly, but those two weren't enough.

During the many months in 2020, and even some in 2021 when I was isolating more, I couldn't attend group exercise and wasn't good at exercising on my own at home. Progression began again.

Since April (after getting vaccinated), I've started exercising again. I'd hoped that the progression would reverse. It hasn't, I don't think, but I do believe it has halted again. I appear to need both Wahls plus exercise to halt progression.

I hadn't noticed a difference in fatigue level until you asked. But, as I think back, I believe that I'm sleeping 1 or 2 hours less per night. I think. I still require a daily nap.

Quality of life? IDK. How do you define that? Less fatigue and halting progression seem to contribute to quality of life. For me, progression means walking, balance, mobility issues. I don't really have many other MS symptoms. No pain, no spasticity, etc. Wahls hasn't changed that because they weren't present.

I believe that I'm on Wahls for life. Probably. I have an appointment with a new functional medicine doctor next week. Although I appreciate what Dr G was able to do (halt progression), his protocol was never able to reverse symptoms. Maybe new doc (Dr. J) will have different or additional strategies.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

It's interesting to me that Swank and Wahls diets had similar results. They are fairly different diets, I believe.
        - Wahls recommends a much higher volume of vegetables than Swank.
        - Swank is low fat; Wahls emphasizes the importance of fat.
        - non fat or low fat dairy is allowed on Swank. Not on Wahls.
        - gluten is allowed on Swank. Not on Wahls.
        - etc. (differences in eggs, meat, grains, etc)

They are so different, yet have similar results.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I'd be interested if they did the same study on the Mediterranean diet, or other healthy diets just to see if the same results - ie, improved fatigue and quality of life. I know for me, any increase in added sugars and/or unhealthy fats for a few days in the row elevated the fatigue and I feel worse. Likewise, if no exercise.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
            I'd be interested if they did the same study on the Mediterranean diet, or other healthy diets just to see if the same results - ie, improved fatigue and quality of life. I know for me, any increase in added sugars and/nor unhealthy fats for a few days in the row elevated the fatigue and I feel worse. Likewise, if no exercise.
            Hi Kathy!

There have been several studies done relating to the diets of persons with MS (not clinical trials, though).

I posted a couple of them, but I can't find them (I guess they were lost when tech support was working on the site).

The studies used the most popular diets used by PwMS. I do believe that Mediterranean was included.

The conclusion was that they found that all of the diets improved fatigue and quality of life, even though different.

The common denominators for all of the diets were ample fruits, vegetables, and healthy fats.

I'll try to find these studies and repost. I'm thinking Australian, Dutch?

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks KoKo. Don't go crazy looking for it. I was kind of thinking that any healthy diet would reduce fatigue, make you feel better, and therefore increase quality of life. Just my thoughts - whatever works for one may not be the right diet for someone else, but keep trying to find what works for you and makes you feel the best.
              Kathy
              DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
              X