Too much Potassium??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too much Potassium??

Was having severe backache thought for sure it was a bladder infection. But nope when they did test no infection but lots of potassium Dr. said it was border line and something to keep eye on. I don't eat alot of food with it in it. Was wondering if anyone else ever had this. Is it a sign my kidneys are going???
    Life is like a coin u can spend it any way u want, but u can only spend it once!

Potassium

Hi Waterfalls my bladder is fine but for the last 5 years I have been taking large doses of perscription potassium.
    My blood work showed I was very low in this mineral.
    Because I have edema and take large quanities of dierectics it depletes lots of potassium. My GP states if the potassium is brought up the edema should go.
    I don't know if this is something that might apply to you as I have several other cronic conditions, and I'm not trying to sound like an expert or anything.
    Quess I'm prety chatty tonight, seems like I have responded to several others.

Comment

Thanks I have Dr.'s appt Nov. 2 so I will talk to him about this. My hands swell alot. I should have mentioned i also have tachacardia don't know if that is part of it too or not. I did notice I don't seem to go to the bathroom as much as I used to. Lots of questions for the Dr. I guess LOL.
      Life is like a coin u can spend it any way u want, but u can only spend it once!

Comment

Originally posted by watefalls2 View Post
        Was having severe backache thought for sure it was a bladder infection. But nope when they did test no infection but lots of potassium Dr. said it was border line and something to keep eye on. I don't eat alot of food with it in it. Was wondering if anyone else ever had this. Is it a sign my kidneys are going???
        Potassium is an intra-cellular ion so high in the blood is of concern. It is regulated (mostly) by your kidneys. A back ache can certainly be a sign your kidneys are stressed.
        Your electrolytes should be monitered; and actually the doctor Can help you with this fairly harmlessly.
        NutritionTara
        Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Meds?

Are you taking any medications? Certain meds can increase your potassium or decrease the amount of potassium you excrete...
          ~Heather

"Better Living Through Chemistry"

Comment

Potassium levels can DIRECTLY be linked to the heart, so dotalk with your doctor about this, and ask many questions, and FIND out, what you need to do. Take a paper and pen to appt with you, along with questions. Hope your doc can get to bottom of this. You may also want to take along a detailed list of ALL meds you take (even vitamins and over tht counter meds)

GOOD LUCK
            Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Working...
            X