Gluten/Wheat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gluten/Wheat

Hi everyone. I have been researching (and researching). I read, in a lot of places, about the importance of eliminating wheat/gluten from your diet if you have MS. It is said to be inflammatory. Now, this might also be because I tend to read a lot of "natural" sights so it might be an influence of the genre that I read.

I have been GF/WF since 2012. It happened accidentally. Hubby and I did paleo and I realized all my aches and pains, gastro problems and my post-nasal drip went away. I reintroduced gluten/wheat and found that the symptoms came back. It wasn't rocket science to figure out I don't tolerate it. However, I DID get ON in 2013. And now, here I am in 2020 with MS. So, obviously I was GF/WF before my first CIS.

Anyway, after that long-winded preface......how many of you are GF/WF. And if so, or if not, what are your thoughts?

Again, thanks for reading and responding.
    "Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
    ~Leonard Cohen

DX March, 2022. Ontario, Canada

No gluten for me for maybe the past 5 years or so. I'm not really sensitive to it so if an accident occurs it doesn't really bother me. I started just to be a team player for the fam (put son on GF for health reasons) and just stuck with it.
    The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

After reading the book Grain Brain the doctor/author states that many grains have that inflammatory impact on us.

I have never had a problem eating gluten -- no gas or bloating or upset stomach or whatever. But in one book I read about an MS diet it suggested cutting out gluten, so I did.

The results were shocking -- in about 7-10 days it was like someone lifted a drunken hangover haze from my brain. I felt mentally much sharper, like someone had added 5-10 IQ points to me!

Gluten is in everything it seems. (Food companies use gluten as a generic thickener since it seems to be cheaper than corn starch.) So it's easy to "fall off the wagon" and to eat gluten. I've done than quite a few times and each time I cut gluten out I have that same mental clarity thing a week or so after cutting it out. So I happily remain gluten-free.
      Last edited by pennstater; 10-29-2020, 06:58 PM. Reason: **URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to your Username on black bar running across top of p
      59M / RRMS / Dx1987 / Ocrevus

Comment

I'm gluten free, dairy free, mostly sugar free.

I detailed some of my experiences here. I've been fairly stable since beginning this diet. Until COVID. Seems like I really need a combination of this diet plus regular exercise. Have declined some.

I've been disappointed that I haven't improved. I believe some people have. But stability is worth a lot.

I recommend reading the book, The wahls protocol.

https://www.msworld.org/forum/forum/...ree-sugar-free
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I do well on a mix of the Mediterranean / MIND diets, which include mostly anti-inflammatory foods.

Whole grains are included, and I have no problem with these.

I do eat pasta 1 - 2 times a week, with no problems or changes in symptoms.

I am fortunate in that eating this way for the past several years, I very rarely have muscle aches or pains. No headaches, bloating, excessive gas, constipation, or depression.

All things considered, having PPMS, I have good energy most of the time (I get fatigued mainly from heat sensitivity, high humidity/dew point, or from over activity).

I feel lucky and grateful that I do not suffer from the food sensitivities or food allergies that many people do.

Take Care

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post

I recommend reading the book, The wahls protocol.

https://www.msworld.org/forum/forum/...ree-sugar-free

Yes, I have that book. I ordered it a few weeks ago. I've been eating an 80/20 primal diet for years so her approach makes sense to me.

Thank you.

"Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
            ~Leonard Cohen

DX March, 2022. Ontario, Canada

Comment

I adopted a gluten free diet earlier this year, although my MS symptoms have been very minor i try a stick to an anti inflammatory diet and don’t miss bread, pastries at all

Comment

I've been gluten free since around 2005, had MS since 2004. I still work full time and have never been on meds. I attribute my mild disease path to a diet eliminating gluten, legumes, and dairy along with supplements.
                Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

Originally posted by Twenty Miles View Post
                  I've been gluten free since around 2005, had MS since 2004. I still work full time and have never been on meds. I attribute my mild disease path to a diet eliminating gluten, legumes, and dairy along with supplements.
                  Good for you. I have only been GF and DF since 2018. I wish I'd started this strategy back in 2002, at the beginning of my symptoms. I expect that my progression would have been significantly slowed and that my health would be significantly better.

Back then, I believed the traditional docs that a standard "healthy" North American diet was all that was needed.
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                  X