Searching for butter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searching for butter

I am in a mad search for gluten, dairy, legume free butter! I have no idea why I've latched onto this. But, I do know that I LOVED butter. The Earth Balance Soy Free unfortunately has pea protein in it - which is a legume. /sigh Anyone know of a butter I can have? I know most of you will be saying "get over it!", but I miss it so. I've only been trying this diet for about a week and a half, so give me a break.

I finally found something that might replace mayo - The Ojai Cook's Lemonaise Light. It has .5g of saturated fats and eggs, though. I'll repost after I've tried it.

DARN!

I thought I had found one. Earth Balance has SOY!
    Positive Possibilities

Comment

Plain Olive Oil?

Its not butter but it's something?

Comment

Yeah the regular ones do. They then came out with a Soy Free one, but apparently they can't make butter without protein of some kind so they picked another legume - the pea. :/

Comment

I used to use the Eb organic vegan one, but yup. Soy.

Ditto Vegenaise, and any vegan "cheese." (I REALLY want a tuna melt! lol) I know how to make cashew "cheese" but I'm also trying to watch oxalates.

I'm willing to commit to this, but it IS difficult to sort out at times, isn't it?

I remember reading that you can refrigerate olive oil overnight and then whip it on high speed to make a sort of semi-solid spread, but I've never tried it.

For now, I'm really focused on avoiding all gluten, and trying my best to really limit the others. I have had a few organic eggs here and there, because I had not prepared well enough and was ravenous.

I'm not sure objectively speaking if dairy OR soy is worse than the other? Or if they're both equally harmful? I know both are not ideal, but I'm not sure which is worse if you're having a craving and slip a little.

Comment

Totally right there with ya Kerrie. Slip a little - more like totally ski down the side of the mountain for me. The Lemmonaise doesn't have anything in it those on the Best Bet Diet can't eat. Trust me, I'm assiduous about details.

I've thought about olive oil, but I'm really just thinking butter on toast. I've tried a nut butter - not the same. Buttered toast with sugar and cinnamon(sp?) is what I'm thinking. Stop that! umkay

Comment

I have to report that the Lemmonaise tastes delish for a sandwich - put a dash of German Mustard on it too, but Lemmonaise is good.

Comment

[QUOTE=hagelicious;1221965]I am in a mad search for gluten, dairy, legume free butter! I have no idea why I've latched onto this. But, I do know that I LOVED butter. The Earth Balance Soy Free unfortunately has pea protein in it - which is a legume. /sigh Anyone know of a butter I can have? I know most of you will be saying "get over it!", but I miss it so. I've only been trying this diet for about a week and a half, so give me a break.

Why are you trying to avoid butter?
                Butter from grass-fed cows contains about 1/8 the saturated fat compared to grain-fed cows (for starters).
                If its a lactose thing; geeh has a very negligable amount of lactose with a concentrated butter flavor, and a higher smoke point.
                NutritionTara
                Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Originally posted by nutritiontara View Post

Why are you trying to avoid butter?
                  Butter from grass-fed cows contains about 1/8 the saturated fat compared to grain-fed cows (for starters).
                  If its a lactose thing; geeh has a very negligable amount of lactose with a concentrated butter flavor, and a higher smoke point.
                  Tara, the various MS diets, starting with Swank, recommend avoiding all saturated fats including butter (regardless of whether from grain-fed or grass-fed cows).

Comment

Sorry Folks, I've had this MonSter for 8 + Yrs. I've tried Every diet known to man, For me nothing works.
                    Now it's one thing if you have allergies,but as all I'm allergic to is some meds & some foods (Pork, Beef) I eat just about anything I want,including REAL butter & REAL mayonaise, Just in moderation,my blood work #'s are fantastic. So my Dr.'s say keep on doing what you are & at 64yrs old I think I've got it down pat.
                    Keep us posted God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

Yes, low saturated fat> I can't buy into Swank from 1948. Our food has changed so dramatically since 1948. I wish for everyone to concentrate more on hydrogenated oils and omega-6 oils which are being substituted for the saturated fats. Omega-6 oils are more inflammatory than sat. fat.
                      NutritionTara
                      Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

***Making my own butter!***

I tried lemmonaise once and liked it too.

I like the gluten free bread flour I've tried. It would be awesome as a treat toasted with a little happy homemade organic butter!

Comment

Kerrie - you need to make more than you need and send me some!

Tara - you are a nutrionist right? Is there a one stop area on forum to get a full breakdown of your suggestions for diet to help us with our ms?

Comment

Originally posted by hagelicious View Post
                            Kerrie - you need to make more than you need and send me some!

Tara - you are a nutrionist right? Is there a one stop area on forum to get a full breakdown of your suggestions for diet to help us with our ms?

Tara - yes, it would be great to understand the totality of what you're reccomending. Your point about worrying more about omega 6 fats is very interesting an I'd like to hear more. But on a side note, I thought you were a bit unfair to Swank, based on his 1948 book, when his 1987 book speaks more to the present.

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
                              Tara - yes, it would be great to understand the totality of what you're reccomending. Your point about worrying more about omega 6 fats is very interesting an I'd like to hear more. But on a side note, I thought you were a bit unfair to Swank, based on his 1948 book, when his 1987 book speaks more to the present.
                              A good place to start reading about the potential dangers of too much Omega 6 fatty acids (until Tara has a chance to give her take) is the Wikipedia article's section on "Negative Health Effects." It's pretty thorough and will lead you to various research studies.

Comment

Working...
                              X