No announcement yet.

Searching for butter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ghee is easy to make. Just melt good quality organic butter, let the white stuff settle to the bottom and skim off all the clear stuff. This is ghee. it keeps in the fridge for about 2 weeks and it's real butter with all the good stuff. Just use it like butter except it's a liquid
    You only live NOW.
    SX 1999 /DX 2003
    norml.org

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
      A good place to start reading about the potential dangers of too much Omega 6 fatty acids (until Tara has a chance to give her take) is the Wikipedia article's section on "Negative Health Effects." It's pretty thorough and will lead you to various research studies.

Sequoia Thanks. I get the "Omega6-bad"; it's the "Butter-good" stuff that perked my ears up

I take fish and flax oil. I make pancakes for the kids and have been using canola oil, but it's not the same without butter. mmmm butter.

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
        Tara - yes, it would be great to understand the totality of what you're reccomending. Your point about worrying more about omega 6 fats is very interesting an I'd like to hear more. But on a side note, I thought you were a bit unfair to Swank, based on his 1948 book, when his 1987 book speaks more to the present.
        Point taken: my problem with the blanket restricting of saturated fats it doesn't take into accont the terrible state of our food supply today. I seriously feel the processed and plastic fats has excellerated and increased nuerological disorders not saturated fats.
        Please all: know I understand the chemistry of the Prostaglandin Pathway and the premise of the Swank diet; how aracidonic acid leads to the PG2s which are inflammatory. But the Omega 6s (vegetable oils) also lead to the inflammatory PG2s. And this is why I recommend severely restricting the Omega 6 oils and increase the Omega 3 oils which lead to anti-inflammatory PG3s. PG=prostaglandins.
        In addition: trans-fatty acids inhibit the delta-6-desaturase enzyme which are necessary for the prostaglandin pathway to proceed.
        NutritionTara
        Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Originally posted by nutritiontara View Post
          Point taken: my problem with the blanket restricting of saturated fats it doesn't take into account the terrible state of our food supply today. I seriously feel the processed and plastic fats has accellerated and increased neurological disorders not saturated fats.
          Please all: know I understand the chemistry of the Prostaglandin Pathway and the premise of the Swank diet; how aracidonic acid leads to the PG2s which are inflammatory. But the Omega 6s (vegetable oils) also lead to the inflammatory PG2s. And this is why I recommend severely restricting the Omega 6 oils and increase the Omega 3 oils which lead to anti-inflammatory PG3s. PG=prostaglandins.
          In addition: trans-fatty acids inhibit the delta-6-desaturase enzyme which are necessary for the prostaglandin pathway to proceed.

I get it. All one has to do is try to buy a food product without soy oil in it. Even "good" oils such as Canola are still full of omega 6 fats.

I try to limit mine. My main sourse of Omega 6 (that I know of ) is soy ice cream, almond milk and sunflower seeds. I make my own salad dressing with olive oil, don't eat anything commercially fried (well, only occasionally) and when I do fry, use olive oil.

Any additional recommendations would be helpful. I'm taking fish oil 5 capsules/day and Flax oil, 15ml/day as well as fish often as wild salmon, wild N. Atlantic Makerel and tinned sardines.

Thanks,

Comment

Any additional recommendations would be helpful. I'm taking fish oil 5 capsules/day and Flax oil, 15ml/day as well as fish often as wild salmon, wild N. Atlantic Makerel and tinned sardines. By BigA

Your large addition of the fish oils, flax oils (omega-3s) is exactly what to do to balance the unavoidable consumption of omega-6s. Perfect!
            NutritionTara
            Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Omega 6???

Tara,
              What has omega 6 in it? Should we stay away from omega 6? I'm so confused on what and how much vitamins I need. I wish I could find someone who could honestly tell me which ones I need

Comment

Originally posted by GIZZY View Post
                Tara,
                What has omega 6 in it? Should we stay away from omega 6? I'm so confused on what and how much vitamins I need. I wish I could find someone who could honestly tell me which ones I need

Gizzy - I'm no expert, but all oils are high in omega6, especially soy oil. Meats are also high in Omega6.

We don't get enough Omega6, which we used to get from animals which ate grass. We used to get it from vegetables and fish.

Omega6 is thought to be inflamatory. Parts of MS are thought to be inflamatory, so the goal is to turn your body away from an inflamatory state. That's not suppliments - it involves changing how you eat.

But if you want to do the minimum, start taking fish oil to at least balance the Omega6 which are already abundant in your diet.

if you want to see a diet, google "Best Best MS" or go here for a different (but similar) diet.

http://www.overcomingmultiplescleros...-Program/Diet/

Comment

Gizzy - I'm no expert, but all oils are high in omega6, especially soy oil. Meats are also high in Omega6.
                  Flaxseed oil is high in Omega 3 fatty acids, as is canola oil and walnuts (whole or oil). Olive oil has Omega 9 fatty acids, which are also beneficial.

Most other oils, as BigA says, are high in Omega 6 fatty acids and should be avoided. Canola oil is high in Omega 3 fatty acids too, but is a highly refined oil.

Many of us on this forum (and in the MS community in general) are using flaxseed &/or olive oil, especially those of who are vegetarian/vegan and can't eat fish or fish oils.

Tara recommends flaxseed oil and extra virgin olive oil.

Comment

According to nutritiondata.com

1 cup of corn and canola oil has
                    Total Omega-3 fatty acids 12988 mg
                    Total Omega-6 fatty acids 51479 mg
                    And has a strongly anti-inflammation factor of 893.

1 cup of olive oil has
                    Total Omega-3 fatty acids 1644 mg
                    Total Omega-6 fatty acids 21088 mg
                    And has a strongly anti-inflammation factor of 1137.

So I thinking that 3vs6 is only part of the story, also I read somewhere that there are diffrent types of omega 6 and guessing some are not as inflammitory as others??

And FYI: soybean oil with a strongly inflammation factor of -584. but it’s omega 3 is 13800 and omega 6 is 109921, It says soybean oil contains a lot of trans fat, and guessing that is also what causes the inflammation.

Butter option: (Margarine-like spread, SMART BALANCE Light Buttery Spread) has a mildly inflammation score it could be a good option?
                    Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Voor View Post
                      According to nutritiondata.com

1 cup of corn and canola oil has
                      Total Omega-3 fatty acids 12988 mg
                      Total Omega-6 fatty acids 51479 mg
                      And has a strongly anti-inflammation factor of 893.

1 cup of olive oil has
                      Total Omega-3 fatty acids 1644 mg
                      Total Omega-6 fatty acids 21088 mg
                      And has a strongly anti-inflammation factor of 1137.

So I thinking that 3vs6 is only part of the story, also I read somewhere that there are different types of omega 6 and guessing some are not as inflammatory as others??

And FYI: soybean oil with a strongly inflammation factor of -584. but it’s omega 3 is 13800 and omega 6 is 109921, It says soybean oil contains a lot of trans fat, and guessing that is also what causes the inflammation.

Butter option: (Margarine-like spread, SMART BALANCE Light Buttery Spread) has a mildly inflammation score it could be a good option?
                      I'm non-dairy and I think Sequoia too. Ther's also a good deal of Saturated fat in Smart Balance from memory.

We're on a modified swank diet with no dairy, no animal products except egg whites and fish. No beef, pork, lamb, chicken, turkey, dog. Minimal saturated fat, so no coconut or palm oil.

Comment

I'm non-dairy and I think Sequoia too. Ther's also a good deal of Saturated fat in Smart Balance from memory.

We're on a modified swank diet with no dairy, no animal products except egg whites and fish. No beef, pork, lamb, chicken, turkey, dog. Minimal saturated fat, so no coconut or palm oil.
                        Yep, I'm non-dairy.

In addition, I eat no animal products (including egg whites and fish). Also no gluten, but I do eat non-gluten grains.

My only sources of added fat are flaxseed oil, extra virgin olive oil, and extra virgin coconut oil (which is saturated but differs from other saturated fats in that it's made up of medium-chain fatty acids; Tara recommends its use). I consume a tablespoon of flaxseed oil a day, plus lesser amounts of the other two and not every day.

Smart Balance contains palm oil, which is a saturated fat with nothing to recommend it nutritionally. That's what makes it semi-solid. In other words, it's not an acceptable butter alternative.

Comment

Working...
                        X