Anyone feel lousy on prescription VitD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone feel lousy on prescription VitD?

I have taken the prescription Vitamin D pill, 50,000 iu once a week for 9 weeks I was expecting to feel better, but I sure do feel lousy. Anxious, fatigued, overall not well.

I just got my bloodwork taken to check level. I started out at 19, very deficient.

I thought I'd stop doing the weekly pill and switch over to 5,000 iu D3 daily, maybe a more constant dose would be better. I had planned on doing this eventually anyways.

Anybody else feel lousy taking the prescription D?

recently

was prescribed the same, except twice a week.. the only thing i felt was nausiated.. but that was just the first dose.. will let u know after its been awhile..

Comment

Oh yes, I forgot to say I am a bit nauseated, no appetite. Not that I've lost any weight though, darn....

Comment

I take 50,000 once a week as well as 1000 in the am and pm because my level was in the almost non-existant range. I am in the 90's now.

Do I feel better? Do I feel worse? I really feel exactly the same-no better-no worse. It's funny that everyone expected me to feel really lousy with a level so low. Not really....

What I am hoping is that bone density will improve.......

Oh and I never felt queasy which is probably a miracle. I have a really sensitive GI tract and the least change makes me feel icky. But I noticed no problems with that.

lydialou

Comment

VIT D

WHEN I HAD MINE CHECKED IT WAS .32 LIKE NOT EVEN THERE. BEEN TAKING SUPPLEMENTS WILL HAVE IT CHECKED IN 6 MONTHS. DO NOT FEEL ANY DIFFERENT.

Comment

Thanks all for the responses. My neuro was very interested to hear I was vitamin D deficient and made a comment about studies showing a relationship between vitamin D and MS.

The only positive change I have from vitamin D so far is that hair is again growing on my legs and hopefully my thin hair may recover some on my head too.

Comment

It could be that you're feel bad for other reasons that have nothing to do with your Vit. D levels. And if that's the case, you're not going to see much improvement in those symptoms from taking Vit. D. However, I don't think Vit D is supposed to be a "cure-all" that makes you feel better. You may gain some improvement from it, but that's not the point.

Vitamin D is crucial for calcium absorption. Calcium is used not only in the bones and teeth, but also in the muscles, which includes the heart. Your body has to have an adequate supply of Vit. D to function, whether or not it makes you feel better. So, if you're deficient in Vitamin D, you need to take it regardless of whether it improves your symptoms or not.

Hugs,

Lisa
              Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
              Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
              Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I've been feeling particulary lousy lately, and was wondering if it was related to starting the Vitamin D. The timing was right. Then again I have alot of stress, it's probably that.

I have to admit I was hoping to feel better taking it. I'm anxious to get my blood test results from Friday. I'll post them when I get them.

Comment

Hey Justsayyes-

You might want to check out the fingernail thread on this board. One of the members-MrsBones-had some good info on nails and hair (since you mentioned it in your post).

Hope you feel better soon!

lydialou

Comment

Yes, the nail thread is very interesting, glad you directed me to it.

Comment

Update here. My vitamin D level has climbed from 19 to 44 after 9 weeks taking the 50,000 iu prescription weekly. I'm happy that the level is higher.

Comment

YIPPEE! I am glad you are getting results with the prescription script. It really helped me, too.

lydialou

Comment

I didn't have any trouble with the high-dose Vitamin D, 50,000 u once or twice a week, I forget. Now I take 2,000 u a day to keep it normal.

Some of my friends have told me that they started feeling a lot better on Vitamin D - less aches and pain, better mood. I didn't notice that.

Comment

Thanks for the support everyone! Since taking the vitamin D I do seem to have less muscle pain, maybe there is a connection. However, can't say my mood is better...sigh.....

Comment

Vit D rx

I was prescribed D but have been hesitent to take it regularly because all calcium supplements I've been able to find also have vitamin D, do not want to take too much D & feel the calcium is necessary to prevent osteoporosis. I've done IVSM a handful of times with more in the futute most probably, want to do what I can to prevent osteoporosis

Comment

Working...
                              X