Am I taking too many! ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I taking too many! ?

I am taking self-prescribed supplements. Dx in April, on Copaxone since May 7, 2010 and doing great. Here are the supplements that I am taking:

-Triple strength curcumin (turmeric)
    -Cod liver oil
    -Omega 3-6-9
    -Ginger root
    -Cinnamon
    -Chlorella

Tara, what are your thoughts on these. Any opinions are welcome! I will say that I am feeling pretty darn good so they don't seem to be hurting.

Ginger and Turmeric are both high oxalate foods.

Don't know anything about Chlorella or cinnamon.

The oils are fine.

I would consider Vitamin D, B-Comlex, Multi-Mineral, Probiotics, and Antiovidants like Resveratrol to add to your list.
    Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

Don't know what high oxalate means...cinnamon is anti-inflammatory amongst all the other great things it does....i forgot to say too that i take 50,000 i.u. of Vitamin D once a week too!

Comment

Hello,
        You can search these forums or Wikipedia.

Basic problem is the high oxalate foods can cause more inflammation. I really noticed a difference with eliminating/reducing these.
        Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

vitamins

I agree with the Vit D and B-complex. B vitamins are a nerve tonic and anti-stress vitamin. Vit-D according to articles in neurology mags show that most people with MS have a deficiency. Be careful with the fish oil. It is great for you, but it does prevent platelets from sticking. Check with your Dr, especially if you take heart meds or asprin.

Comment

Originally posted by Twenty Miles View Post
            Ginger and Turmeric are both high oxalate foods.
            Although turmeric is high in oxalic acid, it is actually a potent antiinflammatory agent. Research suggests that it may slow the progression of MS.

The way foods behave in the body isn't always straightforward; sometimes the presence of one compound within a food inhibits the effects of another. For example, egg yolks are high in cholesterol, but they also contain lecithin which helps metabolize the cholesterol.

Cumulatively, turmeric (curcumin) seems to be a good thing for people with MS to include in their diets.

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
              Although turmeric is high in oxalic acid, it is actually a potent antiinflammatory agent. Research suggests that it may slow the progression of MS.

The way foods behave in the body isn't always straightforward; sometimes the presence of one compound within a food inhibits the effects of another. For example, egg yolks are high in cholesterol, but they also contain lecithin which helps metabolize the cholesterol.

Cumulatively, turmeric (curcumin) seems to be a good thing for people with MS to include in their diets.
              I thought the same exact thing until I eliminated it from my supplements including other high oxalate foods and supplements (per Tara). It for me was the last piece of the puzzle towards feeling "normal". Each person is different, for me it was a marked difference.

Comment

I thought the same exact thing until I eliminated it from my supplements including other high oxalate foods and supplements (per Tara). It for me was the last piece of the puzzle towards feeling "normal". Each person is different, for me it was a marked difference.
                But if you were eliminating a number of high oxalate foods at the same time, how do you know turmeric was causing a problem for you? It could have been the other foods.

It might be interesting to "challenge" yourself with just turmeric, now that you've been free of high oxalate foods for a while, and see how you react.

Comment

But if you were eliminating a number of high oxalate foods at the same time, how do you know turmeric was causing a problem for you? It could have been the other foods.

It might be interesting to "challenge" yourself with just turmeric, now that you've been free of high oxalate foods for a while, and see how you react.
                  I see no reason to add it back (despite having two bottles left). I never felt any better when I added it, I was just adding it because of the research I read. I can't deny how much better I felt after the removal of oxalates. I figure, why change what is working. I can't imagine feeling better, I'm pretty much as close to normal as ever.

Comment

I see no reason to add it back (despite having two bottles left). I never felt any better when I added it, I was just adding it because of the research I read. I can't deny how much better I felt after the removal of oxalates. I figure, why change what is working. I can't imagine feeling better, I'm pretty much as close to normal as ever.
                    It's great that you're feeling so well, Twenty Miles, but as I'm sure you know, MS can continue to progress even if we're feeling good &/or are in a remission. New lesions can be forming without any outward indication we're aware of.

That's why, speaking just for myself, I'd be inclined to take turmeric no matter how well I felt if I were still in the inflammatory stage of MS...unless perhaps I could be sure that it was making me feel significantly worse (and the only way to know that is to eliminate it for a while and then bring it back).

But that's just me. We all have to do what seems most likely to be beneficial for us.

Comment

I'm curious as to what the best form of turmeric is to take.
                      Just turmeric, or should one be taking curcumin since from what I understand, that is the active property in turmeric? I am going to need to be buying more soon so I was wondering if I should skip the turmeric and just go for the curcumin

I take a lot of supplements too Kate. I could go broke, financing my supplement habit

I had a neuro appt a couple of weeks ago and let them know everything I was taking. They didn't bat an eye at it. The only ones recommended to me by the actual neuro was Vitamin D and calcium...

Comment

Originally posted by MelissaQ View Post
                        I'm curious as to what the best form of turmeric is to take.
                        Just turmeric, or should one be taking curcumin since from what I understand, that is the active property in turmeric? I am going to need to be buying more soon so I was wondering if I should skip the turmeric and just go for the curcumin
                        Curcumin is significantly more effective than turmeric, and even moreso if you get a formulation that includes bioperine. I'd skip the turmeric and go for the curcumin if you're going to take a supplement.

Including turmeric powder in your meals is a good idea too. It can be used in many ways, not just in Indian-inspired dishes.

Comment

I just now re-found this. Thanks Sequoia!

Comment

Curcumin is significantly more effective than turmeric, and even moreso if you get a formulation that includes bioperine. I'd skip the turmeric and go for the curcumin if you're going to take a supplement.

Including turmeric powder in your meals is a good idea too. It can be used in many ways, not just in Indian-inspired dishes.
                            Are you taking a curcumin or turmeric supplement?

Comment

I used to take curcumin + bioperine, but am currently not taking them. I'm thinking about adding them back in, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X