Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I taking too much of any supplement?

Hi,
    I've always been a strong believer in taking supplements even before I was dx with probable MS. I eat organic when I can and this year I have a small garden with a few veggies and herbs. Below are the supplements I take with the brand names. I am worried I may take too much of something or not enough, but I try to do my research and get it right.

I apologize for how long this will get with everything listed.

Now brand Lecithin - 1200 mg

Garden of Life Perfect Food - Raw Green Super food - 1/4 serving (2 caps) Probably best to look up fact sheet on their website.

Pioneer Vitamin C complex - 500 mg (the complex is made of Calcium, magnesium, zinc, manganese and potassium ascorbates as well as Amla Fruit extract and citrus bioflavonoid complex)

Bluebonnet Calcium Citrate Magnesium Vit. D3 (250mg Calcium, 100 iu Vit D3, 100 mg Magnesium)

Nature's Plus Super B-50-one capsule (all the B-vitamins)

Solaray Potassium Asporotate (combo of aspartate, citrate, orotate)- 99 mg (I take this as I am sensitive to electrolyte issues and I will not drink sports drinks due to the sugar/HFCS)

Solaray Magnesium Asporotate (same type of combo as the Potassium) - 400 mg

Now Krill Oil - 2000mg

Now Ubiquinol CoQH-CF - 50mg

Now ALA - 250mg

Now Acetyl-L Carnitine - 500mg

Now Vitamin D3 - 4,000 IU (in the winter as I have been outside every sunny day this summer riding my bicycle and have the funny tan lines to show) - Spring D levels were 65

Garden of Life Vitamin Code Raw Multi Vitamin - 4 caps (1 serving) Probable best if you look at the fact sheet on their website as it is too much to type here

Then I take 3 herbals supplements:
    Nettle for allergies - 300mg)

Horsetail for silica (needed for the calcium to go to your bones, not elsewhere) - 880mg

Dandelion root and milk thistle to support my liver as I take Depakote which is notorious for liver issues. - 2 caps (combination of stuff)

I do hope this isn't too confusing and somebody can help me find out if I am doing this right or I take too much of something or not enough.

Thanks in advance.

Wow- Epona! This is an arsenal!

I also have an organic veggie and herb garden and take lots of supplements, but not as many as you. I got tired of popping pill, so I am combining thru a multi-vitamin and multi-mineral supplement. I also take D3, ALA & ALC, CoQ10, extra B12, fish oil and extra cal/mag/zinc. Some are the same brands as you take. Tara might be able to assist you with your question.... Eat well & Stay healthy
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Seasha

Thanks for tuning in. I guess it was a bit long for most to go through.

Comment

I’m no expert but to me there is nothing wrong with a long list of supplements; the problem is knowing what is helping or just a waste of money.
        Also to me if you can get the vitamins and minerals though diet, it is much better.
        For example getting antioxidants though food instead of CoQ10 is much healthier and you know for a fact you are getting them. Although I guess you could do both, I don't think you can OD on antioxidants.

I have no knowledge of many of the supplements you are taking, but some of them you can tell if it is the real stuff and if it is helping.
        Krill or fish oil should lower blood pressure, so take you BP when taking it and a few hours after and see if it makes a difference.
        ALA/ALC you should feel a difference in you energy level.
        With D3 blood test is the only way I know to know.

Vitamins B & C are good for everyone to take, and vitamin E. which surprisingly is not on your list.
        Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Epona,
          The Lecitin is fragile, I would worry about rancidity. Why?
          B-50: guaranteed a synthetic...read my other posts about Bs. Whole-food B complex will assist liver function better than anything. Otherwise, the vit. forms look good.
          NutritionTara
          Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Thanks everybody

I do worry about throwing away my money. My PCP says I do and doesn't even recommend anything other than a multi and he barely does that.

To Tara - I wasn't sure about Lecithin, but I read an article in the Well Being Journal about somebody who gave his "recipe" for success in treating his MS and that was one of the supplements he listed. It was a fascinating article as he claims to be symptom free now for 8 years. He worked with an ND and part of his treatment was diet to be sure he was free of Candida and other toxins. Then added the supplements and a diet to stay on.

I try to eat well, but sometimes I slip up. I am sure everybody does. I ate blueberry pie this week and I don't usually ingest sugar. I try to avoid red meat, but my SO want's steak for dinner sometimes and I just don't have the willpower

I use www.fitday.com to track my food and it gives me reports on how much of my diet is fat, protein and carbs, etc. as well as the nutrients. If I don't add in the supplements, even when eating plenty of veggies, I always fall short of the RDA for most nutrients. So, I will continue supplementing.

My fat shows high usually due to the amount of Krill oil and I was also taking flax oil, but considered that to be too much. Otherwise, I eat very little fat with my food or with cooking (very nice non-stick, non-teflon pans).

I suspected the B-50 wasn't the highest grade. My B-12 tested quite high last blood test in April anyway, so I am sure I probably don't need it. I think the Mulit probably is good enough (unless you disagree).

I appreciate everybody's input here. Since I am only working as a temp right now and soon it will end and I will be back on the couch, I wanted to be sure that I was spending what little money I had on something worthwhile.

Comment

Epona, you said, "otherwise, I eat very little fat"
              Please! your nerves, cells, immune system, BRAIN, hormones, +++are all dependant on quality fat.

Lecithin plays a role in nerve signaling... get a vacum sealed kind, keep it in the frig and consume rapidly.

The multi will most likely contain synthetic B vits. also.

The Krill oil contains DHA & EPA; the flax will consume the enzymes to move fatty acid metabolism towards the anti-inflamatory prostaglandins. You have to take both.
              NutritionTara
              Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Tara

I have been using coconut oil or olive oil for any cooking. What I meant was that I really try not to eat too much of the fat that supposedly isn't good.

The multi I use is by the Garden of Life brand. It is supposed to be made from raw food and enzymes so I assume the B-vitamins are not synthetic in this multi...

You can see it on this link:
                http://www.gardenoflife.com/Products...0/Default.aspx

I will try to get a different Lecithin than the Now brands that I have now. I usually buy everything from my local health food store. I will have to see what they can get me...

Thank you for your input.

Comment

Lecithin?

Lecithin is fragile? I think this is the first time I have heard that. My whole wheat bread recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of lecithian and I have probably had the container for a while. Of course, we may be talking about two different things. I purchase mine at the whole foods store where I purchase my grain (that I grind myself) for my breads. Mine is powdered and I generally purchase it in a gallon container. Needless to say, it lasts a while.

Goodness-should I toss it out and get some new?

lydialou

Comment

Originally posted by lydialou View Post
                    Lecithin is fragile? I think this is the first time I have heard that. My whole wheat bread recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of lecithian and I have probably had the container for a while. Of course, we may be talking about two different things. I purchase mine at the whole foods store where I purchase my grain (that I grind myself) for my breads. Mine is powdered and I generally purchase it in a gallon container. Needless to say, it lasts a while.

Goodness-should I toss it out and get some new?

lydialou
                    Yes, lecithin is fragile, even in granular form. It's subject to going rancid just like vegetable oils, butter, etc. Rancidity is bad for our health, and it begins well before any off odor is detectable.

Bottom line...if you use lecithin, purchase it in small amounts that you'll use up fairly quickly, and store it in the refrigerator or freezer.

Comment

Sequoia - Sorry...just re-read your post and saw what kind! duh.
                      I'm not perfect....just forgiven!

Comment

Working...
                      X