Diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diet

I'm wondering what kind of a diet most of you follow. I've read up on some but some counter one another. Have most of you given up dairy,meat, caffiene etc....

I will be starting treatment soon and would love any recommendations. I'm not big into caffiene, although I do have a cup of coffee in the AM. Thanks in advance Ice cream is my down fall.

Susie Q

Diagnosed 6-28-14
    RRMS
    Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

If you are concerned about a food reaction start by looking up FODMAP diet.
    That eliminates all the common allergens and then has you add them back in slowly.

I think all of the nutritional plans will agree on eliminating highly processed foods.

Reconnecting with what you are eating is ab amazing thing.
    1995-symptoms with no cause
    2000-diagnosed with Probable MS.
    2000/1-started Avonex
    2002-Rebif b/c increasing brain plaques
    Nov-13-Tecfidera b/c needle fatigue&sympt

Comment

Thanks for the tip!

Diagnosed 6-28-14
      RRMS

Comment

I would recommend that you read about leaky gut, check out the Maryland celiac/gluten sensitivity research center and keep your morning cup of joe- coffee is not the enemy is such a low dose and it helps with mental acuity. If you are willing to try going gluten or dairy free- do it 100% for 3-4 weeks to have a true sense of your bodyīs reaction. If you are not going to go 100%, itīs an exercise in futility. Your body is that sensitive. I have managed to decrease the paraesthesia A LOT by going GF and milk product free and dropping added sugars to almost zilch. I take magnesium at night and between that and low/no sugar- NO leg cramps.

Comment

Good Ideas

Thanks for the health tips all and I wil beging my research. Tamagami, I have heard that magnesium helps with leg cramps. Right now I only take 400mg which is included in a vitamin with calcium and zinc. What would you recommend for a dose????

Susie

Diagnosed 6-28-14
          RRMS

Comment

I don't follow any particular diet. I just do what works for me.
            • Low gluten. Low yeast.
              Not many other grains. Rarely cold cereals, crackers, pasta, white flour products.
              Some popcorn, some oatmeal.
              Lots of fruits and veggies. Esp green veggies. Rarely corn.
              Green smoothies, made in a high powered blender.
              Meat OK. Eggs OK.
              Almonds. Dark chocolate daily, in small portions.
              Herbal tea, sweetened with a little stevia.
              Unfortunately, way too much diet pop. My biggest vice.
              Lots of portion control. "Calorie cycling".
              Hate cooking. Eat out a lot. I know how to ask for what I want. I request substitutes. I use take home boxes.

High in protein. Low in grains, but not low carb, necessarily. I get my carbs from fruits and vegetables.
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Mamabug

What kid of milk do you drink to put on cereal? And what about oatmeal? Good thing I'm a water drinker. I don't dring any pop etc... I'm going to limit my coffee to one cup a day in the morning because it helps with my bowels.

Look forward to your post.
              Susie Q

Diagnosed 6-28-14
              RRMS

Comment

Oh. Good question.

Almond milk.

I don't avoid all dairy. I eat Greek yogurt. Occasional ice cream. But try to avoid cow's milk.

I've read mixed things about soy products, so I choose almond milk instead of soy milk.

Not really a diet, I do what I want. Lol I'm not good at doing what other people tell me too. A bit of rebellion in my bones, you could say. :-)

~ Faith
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

cold cereals are mostly starch and garbage.
                  if you are going to eat meat make egg muffins
                  if not, i eat steel cut oats daily, change it up by adding some organic peanut butter, cinnamon, figs, apples, bananas, whatever that day feels like.

The great part of a vegan diet is that t is pretty much impossible to eat too many vegetables.
                  Stay away from tofu and tofu derivatives if you go this route.
                  plenty of protein in quinoa, flax, chia, hemp, beans
                  That goes for milk too, no soy milk, almond, coconut or there are mixed milks now with almond and coconut, get sugar free.

You need to find something you can do. I never thought I would be a vegetarian, but the difference it made in the way I felt made it not hard to follow, and the pain and suffering the next day when I decide to have a couple pieces of bacon or a hamburger let me now that my decision was right.

You will find stuff to eat no matter what nutritional plan you choose. I am currently a oil free, gluten free vegan and the food I eat has so much more flavor than the stuff I used to put down my throat.

The biggest is finding something that works for you, and finding what you need to eliminate.
                  You will also be surprised at what clears up.
                  My legs are psoriasis free now and I have more energy so I can walk more to help strengthen what muscles I have left.
                  2000/1-started Avonex

Comment

Vegan

I had thought about going vegan. I guess I'll have to try my own thing as I go along. I'm going to buy one of those magic bullets for smoothies. I am such a sugar eater. but I started slowly giving it up. I never new they made sugar FREE ice cream. That's my downfall. Well I certainly appreciate all the good suggestions. It sounds like it's going to be a bit more expensive to eat. If any of you have a good smoothie recipe that would be great. I've been thinking of buying Montel Williams book. A few have told me it's a great book to read. My brain sometimes gets on overload with all the reading and my eyes can only take just so much. This site and all of you have been so helpful. I bet all of us never thought this is how we'd find kinship through having MS. Bless all of you for your kindness.

Susie

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                    RRMS

Comment

check out the recipe forum! There are many wonderful ideas
                      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                      volunteer
                      MS World
                      hunterd@msworld.org
                      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Your best bet is to make stuff yourself, the sugar free ice cream will be loaded with other crap to compensate.
                        You can buy a cheap ice cream maker and produce delicious ice cream yourself.
                        We use coconut milk and have created delicious ice creams.
                        we also purchased a yonana.
                        freeze bananas, strawberries, blueberries, whatever, send through and you have an ice cream texture and nothing added.

sugar free and fat free usually mean chemical loading.
                        2000/1-started Avonex

Comment

Thank you both

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                          RRMS

Comment

Huntered

Thanks didn't even know it was there.....DUH!!!!!

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                            RRMS

Comment

Nosrepmodnar - we seem to be in synch on a lot of the dietary pieces.

Diamond- sugar causes inflammation- check out the NYTimes magazine section from April 2011- the edition closest to April 15th. Itīs all about sugar.

Be aware that most gluten free processed foods are not good for you in that the primary ingredient is tapioca or potato starch- these break down into sugar in a flash. I know that if I buy that stuff, I binge on it- why, b/c itīs sugar in disguise. So, go for veggies, low lectin beans, quinoa, buckwheat, GF oats and oat flour. Your best bet on the veggies are brussel sprouts, kale, spinach (organic on that one), broccoli, onions, garlic and cucumbers. Your best bet on the veggies are blueberries and other berries. I make a daily smoothie with a banana, frozen berry medley and coconut milk- unsweetened. Also have a spinach omelette piled high with spinach- I put a pot lid over the frying pan to steam the spinach so that it compresses and I can fold the egg.

If you avoid processed foods, you will do well. I learned how to use a pressure cooker for garbanzos and black beans. Then I make hummus and black bean soup.

Comment

Working...
                              X