What is the Best Iron to take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the Best Iron to take?

I have been anemic for several months and am getting worse with supplements. The doctor won't prescribe any.

I noticed the amount of iron is low in the brand I was taking from the health food store.

What is the easiest form to absorb?

Thank you.

I believe the cause of the blood loss was from steroids back in FEB. I complained to the DR. many times of stomach pain and they would not treat it. I even went to ER for treatment. Sigh. Now I am on a Nexium for the stomach issue.

Iron supplement

Hi--
    I have been going to a Wellness center to help me with the supplements...which I have found ot be very helpful. I also was mildly anemic (ate ice CONSTANTLY for awhile) and tried one iron supplement that tore up my stomach! It was awful. Now I take Vitron-C, which has been great. They sell it at CVS- I take one per day and have been doing so for about 2 1/2 months (I'm not eating ice all day anymore...which must mean SOMETHING, lol).

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by rosepetals View Post
      I have been anemic for several months and am getting worse with supplements. The doctor won't prescribe any.

I noticed the amount of iron is low in the brand I was taking from the health food store.

What is the easiest form to absorb?

Thank you.

I believe the cause of the blood loss was from steroids back in FEB. I complained to the DR. many times of stomach pain and they would not treat it. I even went to ER for treatment. Sigh. Now I am on a Nexium for the stomach issue.
      Unfortunately you'll probably not absorb ANY minerals, iron, calcium,... while on nexium.
      Biochemistry: the body recycles ~95% of the iron molecule released from the "dead" RBC (red blood cell). Which means most people don't need supplemental iron. And with the "Great Govt. Rebate" as I like to call it: "enriched foods": you can get an iron overload unless your actually are lossing blood or making new cells (childhood, pregnancy, healing).
      This is important:Most men and post-menopausal women should never supplement with iron. It's an oxidant and causes free-radical damage.

Anemia: predominately 2 kinds. Microcytic/macrocytic; pernicious anemia, both from B vitamin deficiencies (most common) and a true iron deficiency (rarer). So, do you have low ferritin levels (iron deficiency; blood loss) or low hemoglobin, hematocrit, RBCs,...(pernicious anemia: B deficiency)?
      The most important part of this is it requires intrinsic factor to absorb iron from food or supplements.....not gonna happen on nexium. I frequently find anemia-type conditions (which can contribute to fatigue: anyone?, anyone?) from malabsorption conditions: gluten intolerance, irritable bowel, gastric bypass type Sx, etc.. Correct the absorption problems and the anemia corrects itself. In several thousand patients I've probably recommended iron less than 10 times.
      NutritionTara
      Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Food/Diet I think is also your best source for fulfilling nutritional needs.

NutritionData.com is great for find out what is good/bad high/low.

one that I know of is Beef it is high in iron, just get a lean cut.
        Correct me if I’m wrong Tara, but see nothing unhealthy about eating lean beef.

There are some spices and oils with iron also, just look under Minerals @ NutritionData.com to find ones that you like.
        Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Voor View Post
          Food/Diet I think is also your best source for fulfilling nutritional needs.

NutritionData.com is great for find out what is good/bad high/low.

one that I know of is Beef it is high in iron, just get a lean cut.
          Correct me if I’m wrong Tara, but see nothing unhealthy about eating lean beef.

There are some spices and oils with iron also, just look under Minerals @ NutritionData.com to find ones that you like.
          We eat beef 5 days a week: grass-fed, hormone-free, yum.
          NutritionTara
          Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
          X