Healing with food, not drugs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Healing with food, not drugs!

Hello, I am hoping to get some advice regarding food and probiotics.

I have been dealing with recurrent UTIs for about 18 months now and the last two required two rounds of antibiotics. The very latest one required three different antibiotics (all at once for the last two weeks of treatment). I am weary and never really feel good anymore (no wonder, right?). I was looking into probiotics but thought I should hear from some knowledgeable "MS people" first.

I also wonder if there are foods I can eat to promote bladder health. I drink lots of cranberry but is there anything else I can be doing? I never drink soda, have one cup of coffee perday, only water otherwise and chamomile tea at night. I know there are a gazillion meds that can help but my pill box is currently full! I'd appreciate any advice anyone has!

I was told by my naturopath that eating too much protein daily. Dr. Weil suggests limiting meat protein to avoid UTI's. There is a powder that you mix into juice called D-mannose and it is supposed to help with UTI's. Good luck

Comment

I take two cranberry extract capsules a day. I was never prone to UTIs, but now that I sometimes have some rention' better safe than sorry!

Comment

Oops! Forgot the probiotic thing. I make my own sauerkraut, kimchi and almond or sunflower seed yoghurt. Not for any particular reason except that they are tasty. I mean, the health benefits are great of course but I make them really just for eating!

Comment

Going to second the D-mannose suggestion. Haven't used it in awhile, but did seem to calm my bladder along with magnesium and cranberry supplements. My problem is mostly retention and bladder spasms. I'd use a teaspoon of D-mannose in any drink, it is a sweet powder.

Comment

Interesting Jerry, I hadn't considered the meat. Plant based seems to be widely recommended so I think I will address that!

Miss lux, thanks for the reminder! I just ordered some probiotics- I forgot all about them. I used to give them to my kiddo when he took antibiotics. They really do good things!

Just say yes- I have been seeing d-mannose recommended. Do you ever get any side effects? Interesting that you note magnesium- I have many of the side effects of mag deficiency! Will probably add those two things to my cart as well.

Thanks everyone! This is great info

Comment

I am glad people are starting to look at healing with food.
              I never thought about what went into my mouth until Dec '12, in Jan '13 I changed my life by changing my diet.
              35 pounds less, off 5 pills.

Embrace the power of food. I hope you find something tthat will help you
              1995-symptoms with no cause
              2000-diagnosed with Probable MS.
              2000/1-started Avonex
              2002-Rebif b/c increasing brain plaques
              Nov-13-Tecfidera b/c needle fatigue&sympt

Comment

No side effects from D-mannose. It is a simple sugar that occurs naturally in some plants including cranberries.

Comment

Please share your kimchi recipe and the sauerkraut one as well.

I made a mini fermenter with a quart canning jar, a hole in the lid and a beer fermenter trap. Is that what you´re using?

Comment

I really just make my kimchi by taste but I'll jot down ingredients/measurements in the next day or so.

My sauerkraut is really standard: just cabbage, salt and a little miso paste for flavour.

I just use covered mason jars but make sure I keep squishing down the cabbage a few times a day.

Comment

Actually if you want to play around with proportions depending on the size of your cabbage, this is what I do.

I salt the napa cabbage (chopped) until wilted, rinse and drain and then make a paste with gochugaru, soy sauce, sliced yellow and green onion, garlic, ginger, sugar and a little water. I like mine spicy so use at least 1/2 cup or more of the gochugaru.

Anyway, I taste the paste and adjust and mix well with the cabbage. Then I pack it into jars leaving about two inches and then pour in a little water to cover. I cover the jars and squish down a few times a day, leaving it out for 3-7 days and tasting each day. Then I put in the fridge.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
                      X