VitD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VitD

How much VitD is recommended for people with MS? I have seen as much as 40,000 IU weekly is fine. Would love some feedback.

Hi rsinger,

You should have your D level checked so if you are deficient your level can be monitored.

How much D3 to take is trial and error for each person and the amount to use can change based on subsequent blood work.

I initially used 5000iu (I am deficient) and after a year and a half my D3 level was in the range my neuro wanted, so it was recommended I drop down to 2000iu. After a few months my D level dropped back down into the deficient range, again. We are now trying 4000iu to see how I respond at that dosage.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Yes, I learned that one MS neuro wanted my levels at 50 but the next one said 70 is now recommended. So I take 5000 Vit D-3 which keeps my levels at 70. I also live in a sun deprived area, Wisconsin.

2000 is recommended for ave person who does not have a chronic disease living in sun deprived areas.

Jan
      I believe in miracles~!
      2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
      Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

My neuro, GP and physiatrist all suggested 5,000 iu a day for me. But yes, definitely get it checked because if you are deficient, then you may need a higher prescription dose.

Comment

Chicken or egg

Do we lack vitamin D because we have M.S. or do we have M.S. because, at least in part, we lack vitamin D? I don't know, but I err on the side of caution and make sure DD takes it. I take it on a daily basis as well, although personally I have always had my D levels monitored since day 1 of my MS diagnosis and was never deficient. As a kid I drank tons of milk and something comparable to Fred Flintstone vitamin every day, so I doubt I was deficient in D even back then, when it *might* have mattered.

I want to believe that Vitamin D helps us, and more importantly, that supplements could keep our kids from ever developing the MonSter. Despite my own abundance of Vitamin D, I still got M.S. and that bothers me.
          Tawanda

Comment

Thanks for the responses about Vit D

My numbers were around 50. Plan on taking 5000 IU daily for a while.

Comment

Working...
            X