Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coconut

Hi Tara,
    What are your thoughts about the effects of Coconut on people with MS? I have not been able to find a persuasive answer in my research.
    I was diagnosed in 6/09, after my second major attack resulted in weakness and parathesisia on my entire left side which were not alleviated by steriods. My symptoms did start to go away when I starting eliminating any food that I noticed resulted in an increase in my symptoms or congestion in 1/10. Therefore, I believe my diet is the biggest factor which will help me keep my MS as mild as possible for as long as possible. As of 7/3/10, when I finally cut out alcohol for longer than two weeks, my symptoms are 99% better, but come back when I eat (or drink) something that is not good for me.
    At this point, I let myself eat lean protein (fish, chicken and seldomly small amounts of lean beef & lean pork), low-pectin fruits, non-nightshade vegetables, non-gluten grains, nuts except peanuts, and coconut based products such as ice cream, baked goods, power bars, milk, etc.(either unsweetened or sweetened with agave because I eliminated cane sugar).
    I am concerned about eating coconut and it's long term effects on the progression of my MS because, although it does not cause an increase in my symptoms, it is so high in saturated fat. However, I do not want to give up the only convience food that I enjoy unless it will benefit me long term. I do not like similar rice or hemp based products nearly as much.
    Thank you for your time and sharing your thoughts.
    CC

Yes, coconut oil contains saturated fat. However, this fat is a medium-chain fat; unlike animal saturated fats which are long-chain fatty acids (arachidonic acid). This allows coconut oil to be absorbed into the bloodstream without going to the liver to be conjugated (lots of work for the liver).
    In addition, coconut oil contains lauric and capric acid which have antimicrobial and antifungal properties.
    I use coconut oil for fibromyalgia, arthritis and for athletic calories. The last is becoming particularly amazing in my practice with athletes. The athlete can ingest coconut oil anytime and bypass digestion to get calories in.
    NutritionTara
    Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Coconut

Thank you CoolChickie, for posting a diet that works for you. I was recently diagnosed and I been eliminating different foods to see if I start to feel better. I eat pretty close to what you do and I am doing better. I also love coconut, especially Coconut Bliss ice cream. I'm glad it is ok to eat. I do have one question about your post - why do you eat low-pectin fruits? I have not heard about this before.

Thanks,
      Jules

Comment

I love raw coconut, unsweetened. Interesting stuff here.

I have been eating a ton of fruit and some green veggies.

Occasionally some chicken and rarely beef or pork, ive lost a lot of weight, but symtoms are about the same. Not any worse, but maybe a little better.

I eat strawberries, blue berries, blacckberries, apples, cherries, red grapes..I also eat tomatos, cucumber, Jicama, and some spinach(can up set my stomach)

I have an intolerance to carrots which really sucks since I like them.

I like celery, but it can be bitter sometimes.

I do eat an all natural fat free yogurt. Ive almost eliminated all fast food.

Again slight diff. in symptoms, but I have a lot of stress...which Im trying to eliminate.

Anyway, I digress...I hope raw unsweetened coconut is ok...I love it!! Mix it with raw cashews or pistachios very tastey!

Comment

Responses

Tara, Thank you for your very quick and informative response.

Jules, I was just diagnosed last year and remember no matter how many people were around, I was very scared and lonely especially because I was weak from my attack. I can't believe how my outlook on having this disease has changed in only one year. That change has a lot to do with me being able to control my symptoms through diet and other healthy practices. Because of this, I would love to see everyone with MS try to find a diet (along with other practices) that alleviates their symptoms and maybe halts their progression so I am really happy to hear that you are currently attempting to do that.
          I only eat "low-pectin" fruits because as I tracked how I felt after eating foods, I learned I felt bad after apples, plums, and grapes, but fine after pears, peaches and berries. This did not make sense to me until I googled it and found out the fruits that made me feel bad after were "high-pectin" fruits and the others low. I then googled the link between MS and pectin and found a website which recommends a low-pectin diet for people with MS (which I am not allowed to post here because I have not yet posted 5x per the rules of the site) but the information on that webiste combined with my experience was enough to convince me to eliminate them. I have no nutritional training or knowledge, so it may in fact be that I just react to those fruits or it is just psychological, but eliminating that category of fruits has made me feel better (I recently tried grapes again and felt lousy after). Good luck with finding a diet that works for you!

fuzzywuzzy2, Green Veggies rock, I always feel better after eating them! I hear you on the stress. The 1st sympton relief I found (before I knew it was an MS attack) was actually through meditation. At that time the relief was temporary, but I continue to meditate 15 min per day and believe meditation is definitely a contributing factor to my good health at this time.
          CoolChickie

Comment

Coconut is great!

I use coconut oil when I cook (and my boyfriend doesn't even notice). I also use coconut "creamer" in my coffee as I have eliminated dairy as much as possible. Dairy for me is a problem. I feel weaker and groggy on dairy. If I slip up and have something with cheese in it, the next day I have no energy.

I have been working on cutting out more red meat even though I only eat it maybe once a week. I love chicken and fish. I tried going more vegetarian, but the boyfriend was getting sick of the beans (and me of his reaction to them, you know what I mean)

Overall, I try to use coconut when I can. I am also using Oat milk. Breakfast is Oatmilk and vegetable based protein powder shake (non-soy as well since my gut hates soy).

I like the supplements and other products by The Garden of Life. I use their protein powder, probiotic, and digestive enzymes.

I too find the lower pectin fruits feel better. I usually have a fruit/berry salad a few hours after my shake. I space out my meals by only a few hours and eat just a little at a time. Much better feeling than 3 big meals a day.

I hope some of what works for me can help somebody else too.

Comment

When you have plenty of coconuts available you can make Tahitian lime aide

Just take some coconut water and squeeze in some lime juice, ice and enjoy. Lemons work too.
              You only live NOW.
              SX 1999 /DX 2003
              norml.org

Comment

coconuts

I love coconut too.

I am really glad I found this website. I think it is really going to help me. CoolChickie - thanks for your response. I love reading what others are doing and eating to feel better. I have gotten some great ideas about food and supplements.

I was dx in March of this year. I am doing well and when I was first dx I thought I would never even consider medication, just manage by modifying my diet. But, I guess the reality of MS has begun to sink in and I want to slow/stop it's progression as I get older as much as I can. I am beginning to think that maybe I should take medication and modify my diet. It is a big decision.

I am wondering, what do most people in this section do? Do you take medication and eat well, or just manage with diet and lifestyle changes?

Jules

Comment

My New MS Lifestyle

Along with the diet that I described in my original post & my daily meditation practice, I also go to an upper cervical chiropractor 2x/week. I think that these are the three biggest factors that will help me.
                  I take certain fat oil supplements that were recommended by my homeopath after a fatty acid blood test.
                  In doing everything I can to hopefully halt the progression of my disease, I also take Copaxone. I think about stopping, but for now I am too scared to abandon something that may be helping me. I will continue to think about it though.
                  I would like to implement regular exercise (esp yoga) into my life, but I have not yet gone consistently to the gym. I did just take an intro to yoga class and am starting a weekly Zumba class in two weeks. I recently joined a new gym a few blocks from my house and am hoping to go regularly soon.

Comment

Working...
                  X