Curcumin anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curcumin anyone?

Anyone taking curcumin? I'm interested in learning more about it. If anyone is could you post the brand-name, dosage, etc. And of course any experiences with it.
    Echo
    DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

I use Tumeric and pepper; It works better with pepper and used on veges like cauliflower.

1200mg a day. I buy the capsules in the health food store and fill them with it and take it with a meal.

It doesn't seem to make any noticeable difference, since I am on prescription medication, as well. I take it like a vitamin and expect it is doing its thing. fed

Comment

I'm taking it ... strictly because for most of this year I've been craving sun, exercise, turmeric (and Indian food, all the time!), and other things which turned out all to be things that increase endorphins. I have no idea if it's making a difference, sorry -- however I know my cravings aren't as strong now.

Comment

I have been taking "Curcumin Complex" from Swanson's Vitamins online for about five years.

I take one capsule daily.

Curcumin has bright prospects for the treatment of multiple sclerosis.

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a chronic inflammatory autoimmune disease of the central nervous system (CNS). It is associated with a variety of pathophysiological features, including breakdown of the blood-brain barrier (BBB), autoimmune attack, injury of axons and myelin sheaths. Th17 cells are considered as a key immunological player for the pathophysiological process of MS. Neuroprotective approaches work best prior to the initiation of damage, suggesting that some safe and effective prophylaxis would be highly desirable. Curcumin, a dietary spice from turmeric, has outstanding anti-inflammation and neuroprotective effects. Herein, we review key features of curcumin involved biology, pharmacology, and medicinal chemistry and discuss its potential relevance to pathophysiological progress of MS.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20828641

Comment

New Chapter - Tumeric Force

I take a product called Tumeric Force the brand in New Chapter. It is fairly expensive and I am not sure it really makes a difference - so I might look for a cheaper product.

I also cook with Tumeric at 1-2 time a week.

Comment

I use a lot of tumeric in my eggs and anything else that can handle it. cauliflower, soups, whatnot. does it need to be just the curcumin component?
            1995-symptoms with no cause
            2000-diagnosed with Probable MS.
            2000/1-started Avonex
            2002-Rebif b/c increasing brain plaques
            Nov-13-Tecfidera b/c needle fatigue&sympt

Comment

Originally posted by Fed Up View Post
              I use Tumeric and pepper; It works better with pepper and used on veges like cauliflower.

1200mg a day. I buy the capsules in the health food store and fill them with it and take it with a meal.
              I do the same about 3,600mg a day, 6 turmeric and 3 pepper in 600mg capsules spaced evenly at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I also take bioperine an extract of black pepper that is supposed to increase absorption of curcumin by 2000%.

Comment

Originally posted by nosrepmodnar View Post
                I use a lot of tumeric in my eggs and anything else that can handle it. cauliflower, soups, whatnot. does it need to be just the curcumin component?
                Just sprinkle in some pepper and you are good to go.

kronk, i think I'll increase mine and get some of that bioperene, I assume at the health food store?

My doc and literature say it is best with pepper and Cruciferous vegetables, for absorption. With my IBS symptoms I often skip those--maybe the bioperene would work better for that? regardless---I'll try it.

fed

Comment

I´m making bone broth in the crockpot (chicken) and then scooping some out each morning to make egg drop soup- beat an egg, swirl broth, slowly pour egg into broth, add a generous amount of turmeric powder and stir well. Tasty.

Having read the NYTimes and seeing that many supplements are not what they purport to be, I figure eating lots of turmeric will eventually get my curcumin up to speed.

Also, food process cauliflower in batches, sautee an onion and garlic, throw in turmeric and cumin and a bit of sea salt, add the cauliflower. Read last nite that you need to let the cut edges of the cauliflower sit for a bit b/c whatever are the good chemicals in it, are released upon cutting but that process stops upon heating.

Comment

Made some tumeric capsules the other night and I was thinking about the pepper portion mentioned here.
                    How much pepper? Do I make some pepper capsules, can i pop a pepper seed with the tumeric or do I need to grind it?
                    thanks
                    1995-symptoms with no cause
                    2000-diagnosed with Probable MS.
                    2000/1-started Avonex
                    2002-Rebif b/c increasing brain plaques
                    Nov-13-Tecfidera b/c needle fatigue&sympt

Comment

I bought some Tumeric capsules at Costco, last week. It has 450mg of tumeric extract (95% tumeric)
                      300mg of olive leaf extract
                      15mg of BioPerine Black Pepper Extract
                      manufactured by youthfairy

That is much easier for me and what I am doing now. Plus, I think that the extract might be better for me. fed

Comment

Hey Fed Up, I bought the same thing at Costco two weeks ago. It's probably too soon to tell if it's helping with inflammation, but let me tell you...I haven't had to take Miralax since I started, and I hate taking Miralax. They say it's tasteless, but I can tell if it's mixed in with something, and I'm really happy not having to drink that stuff. So in my opinion, the Turmeric pills are worth it just for that!
                        PPMS
                        Dx 07/13

Comment

I buy powdered turmeric, ginger and pepper in the bulk section of the health food store. I then mix all three together, and eat about a teaspoon of this mixture once a day. I've gotten used to getting down this way. I'd rather be uncomfortable for < a minute than hassle with the capsules.

Comment

Jarrow Formulas Curcumin95 / 500mg every night. Love it.

Comment

Working...
                            X