What do you eat for protein?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you eat for protein?

If you are dairy and meat-free, what are you eating for protein? Beans? Grains?

I new to Quinoa, but it is a tasty, easy to fix and great source of protein.
    Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Originally posted by CocoH View Post
      If you are dairy and meat-free, what are you eating for protein? Beans? Grains?
      With the exception of quinoa, no grain is a complete protein. Quinoa comes close, but eating it all the time would be pretty monotonous.

When grains are combined with legumes (beans), though, they provide complete protein equivalent to that in eggs, dairy, meat. You don't have to eat them at the same meal; as long as you get them over the course of a day, you should be okay for protein.

Personally, I eat a variety of gluten-free grains (mostly brown rice), including quinoa. I eat fermented or precipitated soy products such as tempeh, miso and tofu, but I don't eat whole soybeans. I eat other legumes (mostly lentils and azuki beans).

I eat a fair amount of nuts (mostly walnuts), which are high in protein and, as an added bonus, high in Omega 3 fatty acids.

Your body takes the amino acids (protein building blocks) it needs from everything you eat during a day; even vegetables have contributions to make. Getting enough protein usually isn't an issue if you're eating a healthy, varied diet.

Comment

I eat chicken and fish primarily. I also eat eggs and a variety of nuts. I found I do not do well with legumes, so these are eliminated for me.

Rarely I will eat pork and beef in small amounts.
        Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

Originally posted by Twenty Miles View Post
          I eat chicken and fish primarily. I also eat eggs and a variety of nuts. I found I do not do well with legumes, so these are eliminated for me.

Rarely I will eat pork and beef in small amounts.
          The OP asked what those of us who are dairy-free and meat-free do for protein. I think she was directing her question to the vegans here.

Your post raises an interesting question, though. Is it possible for someone who is dairy-free and legume-free to get enough protein? I haven't investigated that myself, but I'd think it'd be very difficult if not impossible.

Tara seems to feel that fermented/precipated soy products and some other legumes (I think I remember her mentioning lentils) are okay. Personally, I find that I can eat those things and azuki beans (tiny red Japanese beans), but other legumes give me problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
            The OP asked what those of us who are dairy-free and meat-free do for protein. I think she was directing her question to the vegans here.

Your post raises an interesting question, though. Is it possible for someone who is dairy-free and legume-free to get enough protein? I haven't investigated that myself, but I'd think it'd be very difficult if not impossible.

Tara seems to feel that fermented/precipated soy products and some other legumes (I think I remember her mentioning lentils) are okay. Personally, I find that I can eat those things and azuki beans (tiny red Japanese beans), but other legumes give me problems.
            Sorry, I did a quick response and didn't read....

The soy milk was a problem for me. I never liked the flavor of Tofu etc. so I don't eat the fermented items. Sad I really loved beans though and do miss them in my diet.
            Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

try flax. either gound/milled or even in a pill form. http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/benefits-of-flaxseed
              if the moderators let, here is the website i found on it. if they don`t let it go, type flax seed in your search engine, then select the web md site.

dave
              hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
              volunteer
              MS World
              hunterd@msworld.org
              PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

i`ve never tried them, don`t even know what`s in them. protein powders or drinks that weightlifters use. i think you can find them in supplement stores.
                hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                volunteer
                MS World
                hunterd@msworld.org
                PPMS DX 2001

Comment

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
                  try flax. either gound/milled or even in a pill form. http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/benefits-of-flaxseed
                  if the moderators let, here is the website i found on it. if they don`t let it go, type flax seed in your search engine, then select the web md site.

dave
                  That's a really good article, Dave. Thanks for sharing it.

I use both freshly-ground flaxseed and flaxseed oil regularly, myself. Some of the nutritional benefits are lost when flaxseed is heated in cooking, though, so I don't use it that way.

Flax is not a source of complete protein, but when eaten in combination with other foods it makes a worthy contribution to the day's total.

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you all for your suggestions! I'm still trying to find my "path", but I'm getting closer to determining what will be best for me. I don't notice any foods particularly effecting me as far as MS symptoms go. I do have GERD & do have a good idea what irritates that. I need to start with those foods & eliminate from there. Right now my focus is going to be on GREATLY decreasing animal protein in general. Tara has suggestioned gluten free to me. Not sure if I'll take that step as well, but I take everything to heart.

Comment

thanks sparky!!
                      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                      volunteer
                      MS World
                      hunterd@msworld.org
                      PPMS DX 2001

Comment

It has long been accepted (in nutrition circles) that it is unnecessary to combine vegetarian sources of protein in the same meal for adults(non-pregnant).
                        Here are some proteins I suggest to clients and let them pick what they like and can manage.
                        eggs, wild fish, meats and fowl free of steroids and antibiotics, fermented soy (temphe, miso), "predigested" dairy ( yogurt, kefir, cheese, curds), sprouted beans, mushrooms, nuts and seeds and whey protein powder
                        NutritionTara
                        Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
                        X