No announcement yet.

Not Too Many People in this Section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my take on food is everyhing, a little bit of evrything - - see, my dad's parent each lived to be 95, without any disease, cancer. they lived in an apartment, on their own. They ate sensibly, just like they lived. I got the MS from inheriting my mother's side of the family's nero sys...so, to a certain exent, it is too late for me to be able to eat my way to health....I have the ms.

I try to intake all fuels my body need's in order to function on a daily basis. To me, that means a hard boiled egg at least 3 x's week. every morning, since i got my ms dx, i make a smoothie out of berries, yogurt (just a lttle) and flax powder an 2 tble of something my bridge card covers called: "Highest and Safest natural source of omega-3s antioxidants fiber and complete protein 3000 mg omega 3s, 1125 ORAC antioxidants, 5g fiber, 3g protein" I think its called Anutra.

all i know is, protein is very important for our muscles, so i would never not want to go a single day w/out getting as much of it as i can.....i am rambling. sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Splendid View Post
      Big A-
      Somebody posted the site "Overcoming MS" and I really liked it. I thought it summed things up nicely...although you won't like what it says about Avonex, which I am currently on as well. It explains the research done by Swank and it gives the reasons the research has been disregarded, and it gives the reasons why it should NOT be disregarded. It all made good sense to me.

Anyway, the site effectively got out of my "oh woe is me" cycle back to my "just do it" cycle. As you may remember from my posts over the past few months, I have a up and down relationship with the Swank. However, I can tell you that I feel 100% better on that diet than when I am not. So, I am back on again. I am going to do the original Swank, not the one recommended on the above site because there is no way I can "transform" my teenage sons into vegans.

I can see, because I have been there several times and may be there again, why some people cannot diet right now. I was raised to see food as a treat and so I tend to feel like "I deserve" the ice cream or whatever it is. I have this stinkin disease and now I have to give up my "treats?" Now I have to remind myself that I deserve to feel good. It is a struggle to not be able to dine out, eat at other's homes, etc. It is a huge deal and a decision that affects not just the person with MS but their families too.

Always appreciate your posts as you seem to be actively exploring this disease and all the options as I try to do as well. However, I tend to get more confused than committed to an action

Splendid - I read your post so quickly, I didn't even notice you had given me a compliment. Thank you. I have been and am as confused and scared as anyone. Worse, until recently, I had a terrible doctor - perfect diagnosis I suspect, but no explanation at all - zero. So I've had to look elsewhere.

Besides - why would we sit still and let the disease take over if there is *anything* we can do. I'm always a little incredulous when nurses compliment me that I'm hungry for knowlege about my disease. But I wonder how else would a person be?

Do people really just lie down? They must. I know a guy who goes to the same old doctor. Now that he's on Tysabri, he's now first looking at diet. He's a smart guy too. I suppose he just trusted the doc, who's advice is to take some DMDs and come for an MRI once a year.

I have so many questions still. I wish we had MS camp and could ask doctors all week long until we knew. But I suspect it comes with time.

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
        Do people really just lie down? They must. I know a guy who goes to the same old doctor. Now that he's on Tysabri, he's now first looking at diet. He's a smart guy too. I suppose he just trusted the doc, who's advice is to take some DMDs and come for an MRI once a year.
        Um, there are those of us doing really well with a DMD and one MRI a year.
        A healthy diet is great because you get other benefits but I don't believe its anything like a cure or a treatment for MS.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob698 View Post
          A healthy diet is great because you get other benefits but I don't believe its anything like a cure or a treatment for MS.

Who knows? I'm doing all 4 - DMD, Diet, Meditation and Exercise. Oh, and HOPE. That's 5

Comment

That's a GREAT #5! Thanks for pointing that out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob698 View Post
              I have a friend who's never used a DMD - her leisions have shrunk and after 15 years, she's doing excellently just with diet.

Good luck to both of you, but no one knows exactly why they do well. If we're lucky and we do, we become advocates for whatever seemed to work for us.

Also, I suspect the younger one is when starting, the easer it is to not worry. I'm a few years shy of 50, so I worry more and so am trying more.

Comment

Insurance rarely reimburses for nutritional changes. Why you ask??? Most people won't do the work. Maybe why this forum is small.
                I commend all of you who are willing to do the work on the things you have control over.
                NutritionTara
                Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Big A,
                  That is wonderful news. What diet is she on?

I have a friend who's never used a DMD - her leisions have shrunk and after 15 years, she's doing excellently just with diet.

Good luck to both of you, but no one knows exactly why they do well. If we're lucky and we do, we become advocates for whatever seemed to work for us.

Also, I suspect the younger one is when starting, the easer it is to not worry. I'm a few years shy of 50, so I worry more and so am trying more.

Comment

I am doing well!

I have been gluten-free for a while now and can say, for ME, it is working. I take no meds. I added cheese and I know I had to let it go, even if it was organic. I have learned by trial and error. I eat ALL organic now and gluten-free. I am surprised that I have found gluten-free organic products. I do my own cooking and I am healthier for it. Are there days when I don't want to shop or cook? You'd better believe it! On those days I always have some frozen organic vegatables, a frozen organic chicken breast, organic olive oil and organic brown rice. I MAY NOT POST THAT MUCH, BUT I READ ALL.
                    Positive Possibilities

Comment

I have so many questions still. I wish we had MS camp and could ask doctors all week long until we knew. But I suspect it comes with time.
                      I have the same wish. Not sure how it is for everybody, but I have felt very strongly that I am the one advocating for me. My neuro is not really pulling for me, he isn't searching for answers...he sees too many people for that. So I do the searching and the questioning. I essentially received NO education on my disease from my doctor. He told me to go home, look it up on the internet and let him know if I decide to start a DMD. I received No education on my meds or side effects and NO follow-up regarding if I was tolerating it. All I received essentially was a diagnosis, and he wasn't even sure about that.

It gets tiring to have to search out every bit of information, even basics like, how often do I see my neuro. Seems like some of that should have been provided! But hey, it is making me into a proactive, assertive patient and that will be a plus with this disease.

Big A, I am with you on trying everything I can!

Comment

Originally posted by Splendid View Post
                        I have the same wish. Not sure how it is for everybody, but I have felt very strongly that I am the one advocating for me. My neuro is not really pulling for me, he isn't searching for answers...he sees too many people for that. So I do the searching and the questioning. I essentially received NO education on my disease from my doctor. He told me to go home, look it up on the internet and let him know if I decide to start a DMD. I received No education on my meds or side effects and NO follow-up regarding if I was tolerating it. All I received essentially was a diagnosis, and he wasn't even sure about that.

It gets tiring to have to search out every bit of information, even basics like, how often do I see my neuro. Seems like some of that should have been provided! But hey, it is making me into a proactive, assertive patient and that will be a plus with this disease.

Big A, I am with you on trying everything I can!

Exactly! We are our own advocates. It seems obvious, but our doctors do not worry about us when they're out at a dinner party. We have to push.

My doctor told me not to overheat in the gym, to get a cooling vest in summer and to pick a DMD, but not to look on the internet. That's about it - oh and about the new and upcomming drugs.

I went to a Naturpath and they're the closest thing to what we're all looking for.

Comment

I was thinking that only a small minority must be on diets. I don't know if diet truly helps, but I *think* it does.

I'd like to ask those not on a diet if they think they may get diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure, heart disease as they age.

Consider whatever diseases you have currenly plus MS and add another. Isn't that enough of a reason to drastically change the way you eat now? Plus, if Swank's 40 year study was correct, you may be able to control your MS.
                          I already have osteoarthritis and mitral valve prolapse in addition to MS. That's enough to be concerned about. I do get my blood sugar checked regularly, as diabetes runs in my family , but so far so good. Per my doctor, I just eat a variety of nutritious foods.

Comment

Working...
                          X