Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tested you for food allergies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone tested you for food allergies?

Eliminating all suspected food allergens, including dairy, wheat (gluten), soy, chocolate, corn, preservatives, and food additives.
    To me eliminating seems totally unnecessary and unrealistic, and I question the whole theory anyway.
    In the lab I can see a reaction happening, but unless you have leaky gut I can’t see a large enough quantity getting to your blood to cause a noteworthy reaction.

Anyway I can see the value in getting tested, I suspect for most of us could eliminate several form the list of foods find out if any are really really bad.

But I would really like to hear from someone that has had one.
    Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Hopefully you'll get some responses from people who have been tested, Sir-Voor. I can see why you'd be interested.

A couple things about allergy testing, though: it's expensive, and the results are nowhere near 100% accurate (false positives as well as false negatives).

For those reasons, many people opt for the elimination test, which is self-administered. You stop eating the food (or foods) in question, stay off them for a substantial period of time, then add them back (one at a time if you've eliminated several) and take careful note of how your body reacts.

Anyone who has major symptoms suggesting the presence of celiac disease or a life-threatening allergy (such as peanuts) should of course be tested.

Comment

Last year I asked my PCP to test me for celiac's disease & gluten sensitivity. He did, along with testing for dairy, soy, nuts,etc... All negative. I'm not very up-to-speed on allergy testing so I'm not sure if there are different or more accurate tests? I just had a simple blood test.

Comment

I did get tested, and came back negative.

Through elimination (as Sequoia described) I discovered items primarily as I felt elevated body temperature.
        Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

For a while I was convinced that my MS was caused by food allergies and/ or an overgrowth of Candida. I did the natural cure and the elimination diet. I discovered that I had a reaction to whole milk, refined sugar, corn syrup and red meat, which I avoid.
          I modified my diet to mostly vegetarian, whole grains, chicken and fish, and lots of tropical fruit. I feel better, more energy and less bowel trouble.
          You only live NOW.
          SX 1999 /DX 2003
          norml.org

Comment

Wikipedia has a good article on non-allergic food hypersensitivity. Google "Food intolerance - Wikipedia" to read the whole thing.

From the article: "Food intolerance is negative reaction, often delayed, to a food, beverage, food additive, or compound found in foods that produces symptoms in one or more body organs and systems, but it is not a true food allergy. A true food allergy requires the presence of IgE antibodies against the food, and a food intolerance does not."

The article confirms that testing is difficult at best for food sensitivities, and following an elimination diet protocol is the best way to find out if you're sensitive to a given food.

Comment

Originally posted by CocoH View Post
              Last year I asked my PCP to test me for celiac's disease & gluten sensitivity. He did, along with testing for dairy, soy, nuts,etc... All negative. I'm not very up-to-speed on allergy testing so I'm not sure if there are different or more accurate tests? I just had a simple blood test.
              Anyone? anyone? I think the, what do you call it?, "the false-negative, the correct positive rate is only 40%" for celiac. The point is the blood test is very inaccurate and doesn't account for gluten "sensitivity"
              I ask every client to eliminate gluten for 60days, (regardless of their Dx) then we'll test it: symptoms, etc...
              Elimination protocol is the way to go.
              NutritionTara
              Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
              X