Racetams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Racetams

I'm lookin into taking Racetams coupled with Lecithin. Any experience with these would be appreciated.
    Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

TM I think I know where you're going with this.
    1. lecithin is very unstable--source is important.
    2. racetams - will they survive digestion?
    3. I know your diet (great)...perhaps advanced antioxidant DHLA, (quenches every known free-radical) will protect the brain better. I think damage from free-radicals is more problematic for cognition and brain health. Thats where I focus.
    NutritionTara
    Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Yes, I'm over-thinking this. That is what happens when my brain gets going.

As always, thanks so much for your help.
      Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

Tara, any links to research/studies on DHLA? in vivo? I am interested to know how it compares to other forms of LA's.

Thanks
        Ran

Comment

Most of the research is extrapolated from studies done on ALA; ALA can be converted to DHLA in small amounts in the body.
          manufacturers have routinely produced synthetic ALA and this can have pro-inflammatory effects and over-time act to accelerate degeneration of DNA, ending in earlier cell death.
          I recommend DHLA to every client, larger doses for neurodegenerative conditions. I have a references for DHLA but frankly don't have the time to reproduce it here. If you would like a copy send me your addy and I will drop it in the mail.
          NutritionTara

Comment

Originally posted by nutritiontara View Post
            manufacturers have routinely produced synthetic ALA and this can have pro-inflammatory effects and over-time act to accelerate degeneration of DNA, ending in earlier cell death.

Tara,
            Many people in this forum are taking ALA for fatigue, ALA is also used across many diseases, so providing some evidence to the risks you've mentioned would benefit many.

Thanks
            Ran

Comment

Here is a discussion on the 3 forms of ALA commercially produced. However, all ALA is oxidized; this means it contributes to oxidation -- free-radicals. On the other hand, DHLA (dihydrolipoic acid) is already reduced and contributes an electron to an agent to become reduced; not a free-radical anymore.
              I butchered that, sorry chemists

Alpha-lipoic acid occurs in three forms: R-lipoic acid (RLA), a naturally occurring compound produced in your body, S-lipoic acid, a byproduct from chemical synthesis, and alpha-lipoic acid, a 50/50 mix of R and S. Alpha-lipoic acid is synthetic and is the original form used as vitamins and supplements, and in most research.

According to LE Magazine, only the R portion of alpha-lipoic acid is biologically active and you don't need as much to get the antioxidant and neuroprotective benefits. The Linus Pauling Institute found that "taking R-lipoic acid was more effective than racemic alpha-lipoic acid and S-alpha-lipoic acid in preventing cataracts in rats."

My comments were to highlight the superior benefits of DHLA and that commonly produced ALA is synthetic which may provide only short term benefits.
              Does this make any sense?
              NutritionTara

Comment

I take the racemic form myself. It dramatically lowers my blood glucose, allowing me to manage my diabetes without taking prescription meds which have undesirable side effects. Hopefully it's also doing some good for my MS.

The Linus Pauling Institute recommends a daily dose of 200-400 mg of racemic LA. Racemic LA is more bioavailable than ALA, so less is needed; I take 200 mg daily.

Comment

Working...
                X