Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ALA/ALC Users, has your fatigue returned with the summer heat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ALA/ALC Users, has your fatigue returned with the summer heat?

Hi everyone,

I jumped on the ALA/ALC bandwagon last September, and have found the combination to be nothing short of miraculous! These two supplements have given me my life back.

But...with the unbearable heat (98 or 99 degrees for days) we had for the past couple of weeks, I've had a return of that horrible, draining fatigue that makes me feel like all of my limbs are encased in hundreds of pounds of concrete.

It's been a bit better today because it wasn't as hot or humid, but I am anxiously awaiting cooler weather.

My question for those of you also taking ALA/ALC with good success is have you noticed more fatigue with the heat of summer? I'm really hoping that's all it is, and that I'm not having a flare or have become immune to these two wonder supplements. So, what is your experience.

Also, what type of fatigue do you have? I've seen people talk about their fatigue as being sleepy and others complaining about just feeling as I described above, like you've run a 20K race uphill through waist deep mud. I have never had a problem with sleepiness (even though my sleep schedule is waaaaay messed up; I go to bed at 4 to 5 a.m. and sleep until 11 a.m.!) What I've been wondering is if ALA/ALC works better on one type of fatigue over another and maybe that's why it doesn't seem to work for some people. What are your thoughts and experiences?
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Hello Lisa

I've been having nice benefits from the ALA/ALC supplement combo.

The type of fatigue that I had been experiencing is the lack of energy, sluggish, everything takes too much effort, would rather sit or lay down type of fatigue. Not the real sleepy, can't keep my eyes open type.

The heat sensitivity and heat intolerance issues associated with MS definitely trump the physical energy boost I get from the supplements, unfortuntely.

If the supplements were able to take that away, I think it would be really big news

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I am not 100% sure but one theory would be that when it's too hot the blood flow to the brain is less because the blood is rushed to the the skin. If that's the case then ALCAR/ALA can do very little since the source of energy is lacking.

My sister faints frequently in summer or in hot places, and she found great help in Gingko Biloba.

Drinking plenty of fluids might also help.

Ran

Comment

Funny...I was wondering the same thing

You turned me on to the two supplements back in March, and I have been a different person too since I started taking them. I live in FL and I have noticed over the last few days that my energy has flagged. In fact, I took my first fatigue related nap in months last week. I'm not sure if it is the unbearable heat and humidity OR is my body adjusting to the supplements? We will have to monitor and keep each other posted. I DID notice that when I exercise, I have tons more energy, but the last two weeks I have had a lot going on and let the gym time slide.

Comment

I am on both ALA/ALC because of you and it has been beneficial. I work in the heat here in Alabama and I have not had my fatigue come back. I get tired but I think it is just from working.

Comment

Hello

I'd like to clarify my prior response.

The supplements have helped my fatigue immensely. That's a fact that hasn't changed.

The heat intolerance that I experience is not really what I would call fatigue. When I'm in the heat of the summer outdoors, or when my body gets heated up whatever the cause, my arms and legs become like limp noodles, and I am unable to move without extreme difficulty, and at times not at all.

That's not really due to fatigue, it's due to damaged nerve cells and axons caused by demyelinization from my PPMS. The already impaired nerve signals are slowed way down or even halted from the heat.

The supplements haven't altered or improved this heat intolerance (in my case). When I'm back to a cooled down state, I'm able to move again. The supplements are still doing a great job in alleviating the typical fatigue for me.

Hope this made sense - it's hard to understand if you don't have severe heat intolerance issues.

Take care,
            KoKo
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

In response to KoKo

KoKo - I also decided to try the ALA/ALC combo after reading your success. It's been about 4 mos now. At first I wasn't sure about it so I stopped taking it for awhile. I noticed I was feeling really fatigued again. Didn't take long for me to say hmmmm I wonder if? DUH. So I went back on the supplements. They definitely help with some aspects.

Now I'm still in that "probable" stage of MS with multiple conversations with Neuro that this is "probably" the PPMS type. All that to say your description of what happens in the heat is right on.

Even here in San Diego it gets hot. Went to Coronado beach yesterday with DH and when it hit it hit. The heat or what I call the "shut down". The legs do feel like they are in cement, arms too. Only this time I needed to lie down. Only place was on the warm sand. Don't remember much after that as I was out. My DH was fishing, saw me, came over and realized that I was in that "out of it" fatigue not the "Don't feel like I can do anything one" and we packed up and left.

When I cooled back down it took awhile for things to start working again. I still believe the ALA/ALC works when it can and how it can.

Thanks for sharing your views as they seem to help me even if I just say yes me too!

Comment

Hello Crewser

Please be careful in that heat, especially if you become "out of it" as you describe.

Glad the supplements are helping you too. There is so much positive info about these supplements from various studies and reputable sources. It's my understanding that these are found in our bodies already. So they're not some strange, foreign type substances. Acetyl L-Carnitine is a compound found in our brain, liver, and kidneys and helps in metabolism and energy conversion. Alpha Lipoic Acid is an antioxidant.

So... you are still waiting for confirmation of MS diagnosis? That must get frustrating. I'm sure by now you have had all the different tests. How long have you been waiting?

In any case, good luck to you, and keep cool

Take care,
                KoKo

Comment

KoKo

Well KoKo it's obvious you understand the heat thing all too well.
                  Did it again today. Not sure why it keeps happening but I'll keep an eye on it.

3 years now of cervical myelitis which according to my Neuro is a precursor to MS most likely. All tests are positive including LP, nerve conduction tests, spinal cord lesion. Only thing keeping me from being definitive is time and one more lesion. I have a large lesion around C3-4 taking up about a third of my spinal cord. No inflamation ever. No relapses. No real onset of anything. It was gradual and then wham its here and it is relentless.

Sound familiar at all? Doc says its most likely going to be ppms.

Take Betaseron anyway but I'm not sure it will help. Fatigue is the worst part and I'm starting to have more and more difficulty walking. Starting practicing in a wheelchair last week. Wow is that harder than I thought. Things you just don't think about ever!

I know when things change even if it isn't visible to others. It's like hmmm that's different. I wonder if that is going to stay. It usually does. It becomes the new normal.

Just ranting I guess but really I do okay. I laugh all the time which I think helps. It's just my personality.

Thanks for the repsonse. Not too many talk about ppms.
                  Crewser

Comment

Working...
                  X