Sleep Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleep Help

For the past 3 or 4 weeks now I have had these tremors. At first they were just an annoyance, but sometimes now they are making life difficult. They feel like they are all over but are more pronounced in my left arm. The worst part is the last 5 nights I haven't really slept because of this continious vibrating feeling on whatever part I put my weight on. It also seems to aggrevate the burning sensation.

Taking a long cool bath at night will bring some relief but a few hours later it is back. I tried taking Tylenol PM but that seemed like a groggy night of continually waking up because of this sensation and then feeling even more tired because of the meds. It was worse that just staying awake.

During the day I can deal, most of the time it is mild. Every so often it is embarrasing because the whole coffee pot is shaking or my leg starts shaking, but no falls or burns. I really feel if I could just get a few nights of rest that would help. Any ideas?

There are lots of Rx's out there for tremors and sleep.

Regarding supplements. Melatonin for sleep but not recc. for people with MS. Also 5-HTTP can help with sleep. There are others, these are the only two I have tried.

I also go through a method of tensing and releasing muscle groups for 5-seconds each starting with the toes working all the way to the face (tense toes/release, tense calf/release, tense thigh/release, etc.). This works very well when I am restless.
    Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

Thanks,
      I will try the tensing tonight, but I have to say when I tense is when I shake the most. My PCM doesn't want to convolute the sx with medication side effects while I wait to see the new neuro. So I was looking for an easy way because I anticipate a wait of about 3 months. Hopefully like everything else it will subside a little or completely. Cool water does help. If I go another week with it, I will ask for help from my PCM. He is a good guy, and I understand his concerns, but I really do struggle when I feel like a walking magic fingers.

Comment

Valerian. Liquid form not pills.

Works every time all the time for me. Love it.

justacowgirl
        Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Magnesium may help relax your muscles. 200-300mg, preferable magnesium glycinate, 1/2-1 hour before bed.
          NutritionTara
          Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Thank You

Thanks for the the helpful ideas.

I will try the Valerian thanks. I currently take magnesium (but it is the oxide) at 400mg in a combo vit D/Cacium tablet so I check out the other type of magnesium as well.

Comment

Twenty Miles....just curious, why is Melatonin not recommended for people with MS? I take it almost every night. My doctor (family doctor) had prescribed Ambien, which I don't like. I do sleep with it, but I don't feel rested the next day, I don't like how it makes me feel, etc.

I explained that to my neuro, and he suggested melatonin. I've been taking it instead of my ambien, and it has worked wonders. I am have good sleep, and even dreaming again. I hope I haven't been hurting my ms!

Comment

Originally posted by momoffour View Post
                Twenty Miles....just curious, why is Melatonin not recommended for people with MS? I take it almost every night. My doctor (family doctor) had prescribed Ambien, which I don't like. I do sleep with it, but I don't feel rested the next day, I don't like how it makes me feel, etc.

I explained that to my neuro, and he suggested melatonin. I've been taking it instead of my ambien, and it has worked wonders. I am have good sleep, and even dreaming again. I hope I haven't been hurting my ms!
                I just did a quick search on melatonin and multiple sclerosis, limiting myself to reputable sources.

What I found was contradictory. Some sources say to avoid melatonin, apparently because it has a pro-inflammatory effect and theoretically might make multiple sclerosis worse. Others say preliminary research shows that melatonin may help with multiple sclerosis.

Apparently it's not unusual for neurologists to recommend melatonin to their MS patients, but there isn't a consensus in the medical community as to effectiveness &/or safety.

Comment

Originally posted by momoffour View Post

Same sources as Sequoia. I also took it for 2-3 months and did not sense a problem. Once I read more about it, I gave my pills to my sister (figured I didn't want to take the risk).
                  Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

i've been taking Melatonin as needed for the past couple of months. I have not had any bad reactions to it nor have I heard of any any contra-indications in regard to MS. I'm gonna check it out though. I would caution you about 5HTTP, I was thinking about taking it myself ,but found out it has severe interactions with Topamax, Elavil, and my migraines medicine. So I would cross reference your medication with it before taking it.

Comment

Thanks for the answers, I appreciate it. I tried doing some research on the internet, too, and found the same....some saying it's bad and some saying it's good, so I guess that's another question to add to my list for my neuro when I go back in September. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X