Protein Suppliments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein Suppliments

I thought maybe this is a good forum to ask this question. Does anybody know if using a protein suppliment has helped them with muscle weakness while working out? I am getting really frustrated trying to get back into working out. My right leg is very weak while walking on the treadmill or doing light arobic activity, like leg lifts and kick backs. My left leg is fine. It is really upsetting that my right leg is being so difficult and was wondering if anyone had any advice? I'm also afraid that protein shakes or anything like that will cause weight gain.

Chell I do not know the answer but you might get an answer if you ask in Tara's Nutrition and supplement room. (I am kind of curious on the answer also)

Comment

Originally posted by Red7172 View Post
      Chell I do not know the answer but you might get an answer if you ask in Tara's Nutrition and supplement room. (I am kind of curious on the answer also)
      And I am going to move this to Tara's forum. Good luck!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thank you! I was hoping that someone had some experience with whey protein, but I guess I will just have to try it

Comment

I know that you are thinking that protein will give you more energy, but I would be careful not to consume too much as I believe that too much protein could cause UTI's. Dr. Weil recommends that a person consume limited amounts of meat protein. As you are considering whey protein, I wonder how that form of protein compares to any other form of protein. This would be a good question for a nutritionist. Good luck

Comment

Protein supplies the building blocks for making muscles bigger and stronger but its exercise that actually builds muscles. Unless a person has an actual deficiency of protein eating more of it won't make muscles any bigger or stronger. I've read more than one nutritionist who said that Americans already eat too much protein so chances are you aren't deficient. There are all kinds of websites that tell how much protein a person needs to eat and how much is too much.

If your leg is weak from atrophy the only thing that will make it stronger is to exercise it. If your left leg isn't weak from lack of protein then your right leg isn't weak from lack of protein either. If its weak from lack of nerve supply then eating more protein probably isn't going to help. It sounds like maybe you'll have to build up your leg muscles the usual way - exercise.

Comment

Hi Chell,

I workout, have since my diagnosis and I am currently weight training, but I have never used any protein supplements. Usually those who consume protein drinks are body builders and those who lift weights.

Protein drinks are not known for tasting very good. My son used protein shakes when he was lifting weights and hated the taste.

It is recommended among body builders/power lifters to use protein shakes as part of rebuilding muscle that is broken down after such workouts. The average MS person usually isn't able to workout to that extreme.

Instead of protein shakes you might consider getting a referral to a Physical Therapist(PT) in the hopes the PT can show you what exercises might be most beneficial to you.
              Diagnosed 1984
              “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Chell,
                I just looked up 'protein intake' on-line. About.com has an article that states that you multiply your total calorie intake by.20 and the result is the amount of protein you should be limited to. Just figure that you will need to adjust a few percentages, up or down, according to your work out needs. I'm sedentary. So I need to cut back on total calorie intake and that will also account for less protein. Just be wary of what protein can do to cause UTI's, common for MSers. Good luck

Comment

Working...
                X