Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heads-up: high levels of salt seem to have a effect on MS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heads-up: high levels of salt seem to have a effect on MS.

I think a just out study shows that high levels of does effect MS; I’m still trying to figure it out and can’t yet tell if it is a factor in getting MS, like low D and high stress or if it effects progression. Nor have I found out if it processed salt, sea salt or what.

Here is one of the vary few sites I have found about it.
    http://www.dailyrx.com/sodium-levels...vel-disability

I know my information is vague, but I’m hoping others here may have more on it.
    Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Thanks for posting the link. The article isn't about nutrition or eating salt so it doesn't have anything to do with processed salt or sea salt or type of salt! The article is about sodium in the brain - as a brain chemical. Its not about eating salt its about what the brain does with sodium. Its kind of the same thing as an article about how the heart uses calcium. That kind of article is about heart chemicals not about diet. So it doesn't sound like there's anything we need to do about salt.

Comment

MSer102,

I don’t think the amount and type of salt is the only facture, but it is likely a possible factor. (when is MS ever clear-cut and simple)

Other possible factures I think could be possible;
      1. Lack of enough water in diet to flush the salt out of the brain.
      2. Inflammatory diet causing, inflammation in the brain that could be trapping the salt.
      3. Poor circulation allowing salt to settle in the brain, and thus exercise and CoQ-10 would be advised.

Comment

a different take from BBC News,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21685022

Comment

I think open minded means being able to know what an article means by what it says. The first article isn't about how much salt we eat and maybe its closed minded to tell people that an article says something when it doesn't.

The second article is a different one that says something different. I think open minded means being able to see that its talking about something different.

The second article says that "There is caution about over-interpreting what is very early research. I think that open minded means to not over-interpret and not jumping to conclusions about something we read. But even the NMSS said that MS isn't caused by or affected by how much salt we eat or what kind of salt it is and they would know more about what the research says than we would. I think its open minded to have ideas about what might be going on but it's important to know that those are just ideas and not to sound a false alarm by saying that something means something it doesn't.

There's already a lot of good information about how too much salt isn't good so its good to watch how much salt we eat so we can try to stay healthy even with MS. That's very good advice!

Comment

Here's Dr. Jelinek's take on it: Not to worry.

From Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis:

"Hi Everyone,

Please don't be worried by this. It may help to read the section "From Theories to Recommendations" which follows the handy pocket summary of the OMS Recovery Program (http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... Code=10513). This latest research finding is science at its most basic. It is as far removed from any kind of recommendation to PwMS as could be. We have absolutely no data in humans from population studies or any clinical studies that might suggest that salt is a problem for PwMS over and above what it is for anybody else in the community, and even that is somewhat contentious. This sort of basic research is about generating hypotheses or theories that can then be tested. If anything does come of this, it will be 10-15 years before we hear any more about it, and this kind of evidence is so flimsy that the likelihood of that happening is very small indeed. What the scientists will do with this is probably look at drugs that affect the way sodium passes through cell membranes, rather than ever make any recommendations about salt intake.

For now, we have plenty of other dietary recommendations that are based on sound clinical research in populations, culminating in the OMS Recovery Program.

Be well

George"

Comment

Thanks BigA,
              Your post from Dr. Jelinek makes it very clear that salt intake is a general health concern, as it has been. The rest of the story hasn't been tested yet. And is years away from being conclusive. Good luck

Comment

Working...
              X