Help needed in choosing vitamins!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help needed in choosing vitamins!

I've received a 2 for 1 coupon for vitamins from my local pharmacy for tonight only.

I know I need B12 and D vitamins.

Are there any other vitamins I should be taking?
    When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

I would suggest 5000iu's of vitamin D, 2000mcgs of vitamin B-12 (sublingual), a B complex and 400mgs of magnesium daily. Also, I take 2000mgs vitamin C powder in juice, daily. Give this stuff a try for 30 days and get the vitamin D, B-12 and magnesium blood tested, either before and after 30 days, or at least after. it will give you an idea if you doing anything right. Good luck !

Comment

Carole...I know it's too late for the "buy one get one free" coupon, but I just wanted to add Calcium to JerryD's wonderful suggestions (which have completely changed my life!). We women need a good amount of Calcium, and sometimes an iron supplement too. I also take a Multi-Vitamin (3 a day because I have to eat a very low calorie diet) - hoping between the multi-vitamin and all the rest of it I've covered my bases!

It's only been 3 weeks that I've been loyally taking my vitamins and supplements (spurred on by JerryD's encouragement), and already I feel SO MUCH BETTER! I have more energy, I sleep better, my nails are stronger, my hair is no longer falling out by the handful, and I just have an overall better feeling of well-being.

Try it...you have nothing to lose (except a little money!), but I always watch for the "buy one get one free" sales, and stock up then! I hope it works as well for you as it has for me!

P.S. I space things out during the day so I'm not taking it all at once....like taking the calcium with calcium-rich foods, etc. From what I've read, our bodies can only assimilate so much at once. Mealtimes are a good time to take your vitamins and supplements, and I always take my B-12 in the morning because I need the energy during the DAY!
      Crystal

Success is a journey, not a destination

Comment

There are so many brands

out there - which ones are better. For example, do some have less fillers? Purer ingredients?

Comment

yes, I don't have much to add, but the vitamins beat the prescriptions any day.

Comment

Originally posted by its2much View Post
            which ones are better. For example, do some have less fillers? Purer ingredients?
            I think the more expensive the brand is - like the ones that advertise themselves as being premium and are sold by multi-level marketing - the more likely they are to say that they're purer and better. And maybe they don't have as many fillers because they make so much money from the higher price that they don't need to put in fillers. But I've never read anything that says that their vitamins are actually better.

I have read that its OK to buy regular brands of vitamins if you stick to the bigger and better known companies. But even then I read that the quality isn't always consistent. I read not too long ago about tests of vitamin D where there was a big difference in how much ingredient was in pills from the same bottle. Some had only half of the vitamin D they were supposed to have and some had about 30% more than they were supposed to have. The study said that by the time a person gets through the whole bottle they would overall get the amount of vitamin they were supposed to.

So I don't know how we can know exactly what's in the vitamins we take but for the money we pay it sounds like its OK to buy well known brands and not to buy the cheapest or most expensive because on the high and low end we probably aren't getting our moneys worth.

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. I'll be taking notes for sure! You gals are better than google!
              When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Hi, I googled vitamin manufacturer reviews and was surprised at what I found, you may want to do the same in terms of brand. I have just recently added to my b complex and d vitamin regime, alpha lipoic acid. There is a lot of information on that and acetyl l carntine on this forum, both are reported to be very important supplements for MS.

I am noticing a difference, but just slightly, and it's been about four days. But twice I have had glutathione injected directly now ( the product your body makes from the lipoic acid) twice, and it lifts the mental fatigue.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I green juice 2xday, take fish oil, mag, vit D 5,000u, multi vit, pro-biotic, milk thistle and B-100. Still have no energy!
                  Diagnosed 1/15/2013, Avonex 2/8/13, copaxone 3/7/13

Comment

mockmom,
                    Is the milk thistle to detox your liver? I am sorry that your energy level is not better. This is the MS we all know. Not our friend !
                    Since you are not afraid of supplements, I would add daily vitamin C 2000 to 4000 mgs. The powdered, buffered type is the type that I use. Good luck

Comment

A note about Vit. C intake (from the Mayo Clinic) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitamin-c/AN01801

I take Vit.C in powdered form in packets called EmercenC that is added to water. It has 2000 mg. and according to the Mayo Clinic, the upper limit.
                      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

JerryD
                        Milk thistles for liver function. With all the meds.... that and green juicing..we do what we can.Thanks for the info for Vit C i will:thumbs do that..I'm new here so i know i will benefit from all the suuport

Comment

Thanks, mockmom. You are doing a lot of what I do. keep up the fight. Good luck

Comment

Your welcome JerryD. Thanks to you and you keep fighting too....everyone!

Comment

Essential Nutrients

Hello

A lot of good information is here in this thread.

In 2007, I found a site (Google or Bing "") that is based on a Mediterranean diet. One of the pages I read often is about "Essential Nutrients." Check it out and learn of what vitamins are right for you.

I searched for alternatives to meds. For fatigue, I ate a spinach based salad daily. Great energy, but over loaded with iron. Doctor told me to reduce my iron intake. Now the salad is two - three times a week. Vitamin C helps with healing. I consume it often in a variety of veggies and fruits. Had a fall three weeks ago resulting with a really bad carpet burn on the forehead. Today, it's healed and appears months old.

The government (Google or Bing "") has a website that talks about vitamin supplements as well. Search for vitamin supplements. Great information.

Lastly, the information at ^^^is based on years of research.

Enjoy,
                              Scope
                              Dx PPMS in 2010
                              Copaxone since 2010

**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to UserCP > Edit Details**

Comment

Working...
                              X