Organic or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Organic or not?

Since my diagnosis, I've decided to completely change my diet. Drastically.

I've cut out all processed foods. I'm only eating lean meats, lots of veggies and fruits and whole grains. I tried to eat a cheeseburger after two weeks in and it made me sick.

My question now is should I start looking into incorporating mostly organic foods?
    I have concerns that with all the meds I'm now pumping into my body, will cutting back any extra chemicals make a difference?

What are the benefits of going all organic and should I be concerned that organic foods are more likely to carry bacteria that could make me sick?
    Courage is NOT the absence of fear, it is going forward in spite of fear. Diagnosed 5/27/10

First up, wow, I’d never be able to make such a drastic change, although maybe that is the kick start I need?! I love my food too much, but slowly making the same changes. About going organic, I am all for organic, where possible, but I’d be more concerned over genetically modified (GE) foods. Even just starting to incorporate organic slowly is great, and to keep the costs down, if organic is more expensive (unless you can grow your own?) things like pumpkin, hard skins should be okay non-organic, if you get what I mean? I have a list somewhere, just not with me now.

Good luck with everything, I'd bet your feeling good, even just a little, from the diet change, all the fresh foods

I wouldn’t mind reading some other opinions on the organic debate…

Comment

We had a short thread on this very subject back on May 19. It's on page 2 now.

For myself and my family, we've eaten mostly organic food for many years. We grow our own as much as possible, and buy the rest at farmers' markets and whole food stores.

When we do buy produce that's not organic, we stick pretty closely to Dr. Weil's list (which he updates periodically).

I think it's worth the price difference to avoid potentially toxic residues from herbicides, pesticides, etc. As far as organic food being more likely to harbor dangerous bacteria, that's an urban myth that originated from the Hudson Institute in 1998 and has since been debunked by the CDC. For the full story, check out SourceWatch online.

As an added bonus, organic food tastes better...an important consideration for those of who have trouble maintaining our appetites.

Comment

Organic can get tough depending on where you live. It's very difficult and expensive here in the VI but we have a few farmers markets that have fresh, local produce and fruit. I grow sprouts, tomatoes, peppers, cukes, zucchini, ginger and some other herbs here year round. I get local Mahi on weekends. Local eggs too. Try stevia as a sweetner.
        I would say to try to be as organic as you can but don't obsess. Maybe there is a food co-op in your area.

I've been eating this way for about a year and it has made a huge difference in my GI issues.
        You only live NOW.
        SX 1999 /DX 2003
        norml.org

Comment

Originally posted by gypsy View Post
          I have concerns that with all the meds I'm now pumping into my body, will cutting back any extra chemicals make a difference?
          I skipped over this in my earlier post; sorry!

In my opinion, all the meds we pump into our bodies make it more important to clean up our diets, rather than less. Our livers and kidneys are already overworked trying to process/detoxify the meds, and any additional chemicals we're getting from our food add to the burden on our organs.

Comment

Pesticides and herbicides are neurotoxins. Consider that word; neurotoxin? It would be ideal to eat organic, seasonal foods as much as possible. Yes, it is more expensive, but most important, you have to make it "doable" for you. You are becoming aware of how foods play a role in your quality of life and that is (my) the goal for everyone.
            Here is a list from the Environmental Working Group called "Dirty Dozen, Clean Fifteen"
            Dirty Dozen, buy these organic
            1.Peach
            2.Apple
            3.Bell Pepper
            4.Celery
            5.Nectarine
            6.Strawberries
            7.Cherries
            8.Kale
            9.Lettuce
            10.Grapes (imported)
            11.Carrot
            12.Pear
            Clean 15, lowest in pesticides
            1. Onion
            2.Avocado
            3.Sweet corn
            4.Pineapple (unfortunately much Hawaiin P is GMO)
            5.Mango
            6.Asparagus
            7.Sweet peas
            8.Kiwi
            9.Cabbage
            10.Eggplant
            11.Papaya
            12.Watermelon
            13.Brocolli
            14.Tomato
            15.Sweet potato
            NutritionTara
            Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

This is a little off-topic as it's about Organic pesticides & how they effect the environment(not people) but I thought it was interesting. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0622175510.htm
              As someone else suggested, Dr. Andrew Weil has a good list of things he feels you should always buy organic. You can Google him or "Anti-Inflammtory Diet" & find the info.
              I also just read that if you mix 1 cup of white vinegar & 3 cups of water in a spray bottle, then spray your produce with it & rinse well with cold water that this mixture gets 98% of pesticides off your produce.
              Kudos to you for making such great diet changes! That's impressive!! I'm trying to cut out the processed stuff as well. For the few processed things that I do get I'm trying to get organic to avoid the "enriched" or "bleached" ingredients, high fructose corn syrup,etc.

Comment

Same here, in fact we were diagnosed a couple days apart. I've been vegetarian for 3+ years, but not eating meat doesn't necessarily mean you're eating healthy. My new diet, at least for now, is tough. No dairy, gluten, beans, nuts, sugar, alcohol, yeast, tomatoes. Rice, fruit, and lettuce are my only friends

Anyway I've always thought organic produce is important. Pesticides suck, research shows they cause cancer. But, to me GMO is even worse than the pesticide concern. Much non-organic produce is genetically modified, which is shown to cause cancer, sterility, stunted growth and infant mortality in animal tests. It might look like corn, but it ain't corn.

You can assume any corn or soy that isn't organic is GMO. It's getting more common with all other fruits and veggies too, so I avoid all non-organic food. I grow some veggies, and in my area it's easy and affordable to find organic food, but I know that's not the case everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by focused1 View Post
                  Same here, in fact we were diagnosed a couple days apart. I've been vegetarian for 3+ years, but not eating meat doesn't necessarily mean you're eating healthy. My new diet, at least for now, is tough. No dairy, gluten, beans, nuts, sugar, alcohol, yeast, tomatoes. Rice, fruit, and lettuce are my only friends
                  My diet is similar to yours, but a little more flexible. No dairy except a small amount of kefir (similar to yogurt), no gluten, no legumes (beans) except for lentils, azuki beans, and fermented soy (miso, tempeh, tamari), no sugar, alcohol or yeast. I do eat nuts and seeds. I used to avoid tomatoes, but now eat some fresh organic ones during the summer.

I hope you're permitting yourself gluten-free grains other than rice, and vegetables other than lettuce. Makes for a more varied and nutrient-rich diet!

Comment

A lot of this dawned on me as I drove through Central Valley California yesterday and I could literally smell pesticides.
                    I think I can do "mostly" organic. I've never in my life made such drastic diet changes as I did since my diagnosis.
                    But I figure I need to protect this body I have as best as I can.
                    We live relatively close to a Trader Joe's, so that's nice.
                    I was talking to a co-worker about Geneticaly Modified foods today as well.
                    She gave me some great suggestions on eggs and meat. (where/what to buy)

My kids think I've become a little obsessive about it, but I dont care.
                    I am determined to make this a healthier life for them too.

Thank you for the list Tara, it helps.
                    Courage is NOT the absence of fear, it is going forward in spite of fear. Diagnosed 5/27/10

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
                      My diet is similar to yours, but a little more flexible. No dairy except a small amount of kefir (similar to yogurt), no gluten, no legumes (beans) except for lentils, azuki beans, and fermented soy (miso, tempeh, tamari), no sugar, alcohol or yeast. I do eat nuts and seeds. I used to avoid tomatoes, but now eat some fresh organic ones during the summer.

I hope you're permitting yourself gluten-free grains other than rice, and vegetables other than lettuce. Makes for a more varied and nutrient-rich diet!
                      Yep I'm going pretty strict Paleo for now. I'm down to fruit, raw veggies, fish, eggs, a few nuts/seeds. But I do sneak in rice or quinoa once in a while. Just getting back to basics, and in a few months I may try to diversify if I see some improvement. I'm actually enjoying the new menu, I already feel way more energetic than I have in a while.

Comment

We have been organic gardeners for many years now and what we can't grow we buy at a local health food coop and farmer's market. Our meat and poultry (eggs) are organic, free range, grain fed and given no hormones & all the other crap. I prefer a vegetarian diet, but husband is a carnivore.

I realize we are fortunate to be able to have access to good food and produce where we live and try to be locavores - buying food that are grown within 200 miles or so.

it's not always easy to be conscious about the food we eat & where it comes from, but starting small is always a good bet! The food tastes better and organic means we are not harming ourselves and the environment with toxins! Non-GMO, as focused1 pointed out, is very impt!!

Healthy eating!!
                        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

If at all possible I suggest viewing Penn and Teller's Showtime show Bull S%#&! Their episode on organic food is very interesting. They discredit virtually every claim made about organic food, including that it tastes better. In fact in blind taste tests a strong majority preferred non organic. Even the pesticide issue is a crock.

In one taste test, they told tasters which banana was organic, and which conventional. 90% said the organic tasted better. Some went into great detail describing how much tastier the organic banana was. The truth was that they just cut a banana in half, and people were eating two pieces of the same exact banana.

Bottom line in my humble opinion...Don't waste your money.
                          Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift!

Comment

back in the 90s I could of written a report entitled "where not to live". My practice was in Altadena and I had many individuals drive from (sorry realtors) Fresno and Bakersfield. Man, some of the most freaky, nasty health issues I ever saw. Farming well water. It smelled and tasted bad. Plus the "cloud" of spray and dust that hung over the valley.
                            Sorry Frederick, I disagree!
                            NutritionTara
                            Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Eat Right 4 Your Blood Type

Anyone hear of this? Thats the name of the book. You have to know your blood type to follow this. I'm doing this. Not a diet, but a way to correctly eat by your blood type. I do feel better. Is anyone following this?

Comment

Working...
                              X