Arsenic in Brown Rice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arsenic in Brown Rice

A new research study from Dartmouth College found that arsenic levels in whole grain brown rice and brown rice products may pose a health risk. This is of particular concern for babies whose parents feet them organic formula sweetened with brown rice syrup, and for children and adults who consume large quantities of brown rice/products.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Diet/ar...8#.Tz7ABKv7aG4

This isn't really breaking news, except for the concern over infant formula. A 2007 study from the University of Aberdeen (UK) reported much the same thing.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1892142/

The USDA hasn't paid much attention before this because Americans typically don't consume very much rice. But for people from Asian backgrounds and people who have eliminated wheat from their diets for health reasons, the amount of arsenic consumed could raise the risk of several kinds of cancer.

Why is brown rice a problem when, for example, wheat is not?

1) Rice is particularly efficient at arsenic uptake from the environment.

2) Rice is grown in wet conditions, which facilitates arsenic uptake.

3) The outer layer of brown rice is where arsenic concentration is highest. White rice, which has had the outer layer milled off, is much lower in arsenic.

4) Most of the rice in the United States is grown in the South, on soil that was previously used for tobacco cultivation. Arsenic was sprayed on the tobacco crops as a pesticide; it permeated the soil, where it still remains.

So what do we, as consumers of brown rice, do?

1) Know the source of your whole grain brown rice. Rice grown in California has a much lower level of arsenic than rice grown in the South. Lundberg is a nationally-distributed brand that comes from California. If you're buying bulk rice from a bin, the store should be able to tell you where it comes from.

2) For brown rice products, including brown rice flour and brown rice syrup, read labels! Rice milk is problematic too. Adults should limit their consumption of these products, and children should probably eat them rarely if ever. Infants should not be given formula containing brown rice syrup.

3) Don't panic! There are plenty of other gluten-free grains out there that don't pose an arsenic risk.

I'm not a research scientist or a medical professional. This is just information I've gathered from a number of sources, including the two for which I've provided links above.

Thanks for posting this, Sequoia. I heard about this too and because brown rice is a staple in my household, I was concerned. I buy it bulk and will be sure to ask at the store where it comes from. Being on the west coast, I imagine it comes from Ca. but not sure until I ask. The concern about brown rice syrup in packaging is that the product may be manufactured somewhere besides the "South" (ie. CA), but the rice can come from this contaminated soil!! I didn't read your articles here, so maybe that issue is addressed - ?

Anyway, thanks. As I always say, consumers beware!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Yep, brown rice syrup in products can come from anywhere, regardless of where the manufacturer is located. The one exception I can think of offhand is Lundberg's brown rice syrup, which presumably is made from their own rice.

The same concern applies to rice flour, rice milk, and so on. There's no way to tell where the rice was grown (other than querying the manufacturer and trusting their reply).

I suspect we'll be seeing more products that have gotten certification of minimal arsenic levels from independent laboratories, but those products with their new labels will take some time to work their way into the stores.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I've never heard it before and was using brown rice to phase out the wheat products. Will be aware of the source from now on.
        I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

Originally posted by jumpinjiminy View Post
          Thanks for the heads up. I've never heard it before and was using brown rice to phase out the wheat products. Will be aware of the source from now on.
          I consume a lot of brown rice; it's one of the staples of my diet. I don't plan on changing that. Fortunately, I eat it almost entirely in whole grain form, and as it happens, the brand I've bought for many years is Lundberg Organic Short Grain. Whew!

Comment

When I get through this bag of Riceland, I'll look for Lundberg next time. Just got back from shopping. Too late now. Ha.
            I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

I had bought a ton of it and its in the freezer will have to dig deep. Guess I was anyway to eat it HUH LOL

Comment

Working...
              X